Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Jerry Quarry (May 1970) vs Gerry Cooney (May 1981) - who wins and why?

Quarry was probably in his prime and had just upset the undefeated Mac Foster in Madison Square Garden. He had just turned 25 years old in May of 1970. He was being written off after a respectable loss to Joe Frazier in June of 1969 and a kind of flukish loss to Canadian strongman George Chuvalo on Halloween night of 1969 (a fight the Irishman was dominating and close to having stopped in his favor).

The Cooney of May 1981 was feasting on the remants of the 1970's contenders during the time. He had a tough one with Jimmy Young before stopping the wily one on cuts in May of 1980. Then he broke the ancient Ron Lyle's ribs enroute to a first round knockout in October of 1980 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Some reporters compared his 'beheading' of Ken Norton at the Garden to an axe-murderer finishing off his victim. Cooney looked formidable and was seemingly unstoppable to some at this time. Others just said he was beating mostly washed-up former contenders.

Would Cooney simply be too large and hit too hard for his fellow Irishman? Would Quarry's superior experience against the very best make him come out on top?
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Jerry Quarry (May 1970) vs Gerry Cooney (May 1981) - who wins and why?

Quarry would win because he matched up well against big punchers and whats more ocasionaly beat ranked contenders.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: Jerry Quarry (May 1970) vs Gerry Cooney (May 1981) - who wins and why?

Quarry would have won because he of his huge advantages in durability and experience. Both fighters were serious punches, but between the two, it's Quarry who would inflict the more serious damage in the exchanges.

Cooney would have his moments because of his powerful left hook and his advantages in heigh, weight, and reach. But Quarry's experience would enable him to survive those moments when Cooney had him hurt.

I don't think Cooney could recover after being hit by Quarry's bombs.

Quarry would win this bout by kayo or TKO by within seven rounds.
kenmore is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore
Quarry would have won because he of his huge advantages in durability and experience. Both fighters were serious punches, but between the two, it's Quarry who would inflict the more serious damage in the exchanges.

Cooney would have his moments because of his powerful left hook and his advantages in heigh, weight, and reach. But Quarry's experience would enable him to survive those moments when Cooney had him hurt.

I don't think Cooney could recover after being hit by Quarry's bombs.

Quarry would win this bout by kayo or TKO by within seven rounds.
The Quarry who took out Shavers could beat Cooney.

But if Quarry starts backing up and lets Cooney reach him with his long left hooks, he could get cut up and TKO'ed.

I go with a motivated Quarry jumping on Cooney and knocking him out
in 4 rounds.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

When people think of Cooney, they only think power. Cooney had better skills than he was given credit for. I saw the Jimmy Young fight recently, and Cooney looked like compent boxer. Cooney’s main problem was mental fortitude and focus. Cooney was media shy. The limelight of the “ white hope “ made him uncomfortable. Some say boxing is 90% mental at the highest level. Cooney didn’t have “ it “ mentally on the highest levels.

Cooney game effort vs Holmes was commendable, and even though he lost the fight, I think Cooney did better against Holmes than Quarry did against Ali or Frazier, with the first Quarry vs Frazier fight being debatable.

Quarry is hot and cold. He seems more prone to being upset and more prone to pulling off a big win.

The questions here are how easy can Cooney land his left, and does Quarry have enough pop in his first to make Cooney crumble early? On styles, you pick Cooney, as the bigger and stronger puncher usually beats the smaller swarmer ( with less power ) who wants to trade with him. This is not easy fight for me to pick

On styles, I would go with Cooney, but in the ring I think Quarry would want it more ( boxing being 90% mental at the highest levels ) and turn the tides in his favor in route to a late round TKO win. I think Quarry at his best is a bit better than Cooney at his.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quarry takes this on a ninth round tko.Cooney may tag Quarry, but Jerry shakes it off, and then proceeds to give Gerry one of the worse beatings of his life.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #7
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I like Jerry Quarry quickness and counterpunching over Gerry Cooney size and raw power.

There is always the widcard of Quarry cutting though. If Cooney was able to utilize his jab that would improve his chances.

I still like Jerry Quarry to win a decision over 10 or 12 and maybe a stoppage over 15.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #8
sinol
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quarry wins as long as he doesnt get cut
sinol is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quarry stops him by round 3.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu View Post
Quarry was probably in his prime and had just upset the undefeated Mac Foster in Madison Square Garden. He had just turned 25 years old in May of 1970. He was being written off after a respectable loss to Joe Frazier in June of 1969 and a kind of flukish loss to Canadian strongman George Chuvalo on Halloween night of 1969 (a fight the Irishman was dominating and close to having stopped in his favor).

The Cooney of May 1981 was feasting on the remants of the 1970's contenders during the time. He had a tough one with Jimmy Young before stopping the wily one on cuts in May of 1980. Then he broke the ancient Ron Lyle's ribs enroute to a first round knockout in October of 1980 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco. Some reporters compared his 'beheading' of Ken Norton at the Garden to an axe-murderer finishing off his victim. Cooney looked formidable and was seemingly unstoppable to some at this time. Others just said he was beating mostly washed-up former contenders.

Would Cooney simply be too large and hit too hard for his fellow Irishman? Would Quarry's superior experience against the very best make him come out on top?
Quarry was an all round better fighter. Cooney the bigger puncher. If Quarry can avoid the temptation to brawl,he'd take out Cooney in the later rounds. if not,Cooney halts Quarry.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #11
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

In a classic match-up of styles,,,,,,,,,,,

I'll go with Gerry Cooney by a one-sided TKO in 3 rounds.

In a battle of the 'Irish', Cooney busts up the face-first style of Quarry.

Gerry with a 'G', unloads on a hurt Jerry with a 'J' in the 3rd round, after
hurting Quarry with a big left hook. Gerry rips a massive cut over Quarry's
right eye while pummeling Quarry along the ropes.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum