Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs

Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Big Daddy's Boxing Log - The making of a legend.

What I love and respect about boxing...

I think that it is the toughest sport out there. The time, dedication, work, punishment and sacrifice that go into just being average are so much more than say....football or baseball.

Boxing is something you ultimately do in the ring, alone. Your own courage, tenacity and heart are what get you through a round, whether its sparring or a world championship.

Boxing is an on giong self improvement project that you can't ever complete. No matter how hard you train, will you ever be too fast? Too strong? Have too much endurance? No. You won't.

Boxing isn't about competing with an opponent, its about competing with yourself.

Raising the bar of difficulty and then pushing yourself to rise to the occasion. Adapting and overcoming adversity that you intentionally put in your own path, just to test yourself.

The confidence you get from knowing your own limitations is the payoff. Feeling good, looking better, being healthier and knowing that you can protect yourself or others are just icing on the cake.

Now, get off the damn computer and get your ass to the gym. New challenges are waiting for you there.
Slacker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyLv-lNgaLo&feature=feedu[/ame]
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

First night of training in a LONG time. My left arm felt like a wet noodle after 3 rounds.

Today my lead shoulder feels like Jello! lol

I am trying to melt off 50 lbs through diet/exercise, and get back into shape to spar and maybe, eventually...a Masters Fight. Something I've always thought about doing.

The new gym is an interesting place. Its a "fitness", boxing and MMA gym and everyone there looks "middle class". Nothing like my last gym (stinky, gritty, bad part of town, fighting gym".

The new place has lots of equipment in an old warehouse. Good condition. Two rings. Hand weights. Skipping ropes. Plyometic setup.

They offer a lot of boot camp and fitness boxing classes. They also offer "advanced" classes, which include sparring. I've heard they do a fight night once a month, for fun, where everyone comes in with their own ring music and whatever.

A lot of women in the class. Its mostly 25-40 yr olds, some older/younger.

During rounds they will stop the group, call out calisthenics, have everyone sprint a lap around the building, whatever... then put you right back to what you were doing.

Before you hit the gym, they run some laps, do some sprints, etc... then everyone gets started. They do this again at the end of the 1hr session.

Interesting.

I felt great when I left. Looking forward to going regularly.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Mortisyn

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
First night of training in a LONG time. My left arm felt like a wet noodle after 3 rounds.

Today my lead shoulder feels like Jello! lol

I am trying to melt off 50 lbs through diet/exercise, and get back into shape to spar and maybe, eventually...a Masters Fight. Something I've always thought about doing.

The new gym is an interesting place. Its a "fitness", boxing and MMA gym and everyone there looks "middle class". Nothing like my last gym (stinky, gritty, bad part of town, fighting gym".

The new place has lots of equipment in an old warehouse. Good condition. Two rings. Hand weights. Skipping ropes. Plyometic setup.

They offer a lot of boot camp and fitness boxing classes. They also offer "advanced" classes, which include sparring. I've heard they do a fight night once a month, for fun, where everyone comes in with their own ring music and whatever.

A lot of women in the class. Its mostly 25-40 yr olds, some older/younger.

During rounds they will stop the group, call out calisthenics, have everyone sprint a lap around the building, whatever... then put you right back to what you were doing.

Before you hit the gym, they run some laps, do some sprints, etc... then everyone gets started. They do this again at the end of the 1hr session.

Interesting.

I felt great when I left. Looking forward to going regularly.
Sounds awesome man, let us know how you get on
Mortisyn is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #20
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Another great night tonight. Did some basic heavy bag, double end, speed bag. Some calisthenics and some mitts.

First time I've done any mitts in about...18 months? I was sloppy and didn't look a thing like Floyd & Roger.

Did learn a new drill. 1+2+3+slip/block jab+2+roll under jab+2 Took me a min to get it, but once I did, was very cool. Mitts are always my favorite part. So much more work than just hitting the bag.

Still, loved it though.

Shoulder felt much better tonight. Still not 100%. Seems my hook technique has disappeared with the strength in my shoulder. Working it back up.

Was even able to talk some boxing with a guy there. We kicked around the idea of bringing in a projector and some beers on big fight nights. Maybe for Mayweather vs. Cotto? Probably not, but hell, it would be cool!
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Still on the grind!

Shoulder is still coming along and lost about 10lbs so far. Crazy! Its always so hard for me to lose weight. Hope it continues. Would like to drop 50 lbs.

Working on punch speed, accuracy and technique. I'm so out of practice, its embarrassing.

Also, I'm the fattest guy in the gym! lol

On the other hand, I know a lot more than most of the people there, and tonight I helped a kid out with his stance.

Noticed that when I'm throwing the hook on the bag, the pivot is so/so. When I'm working the mitts and the target is moving..its outright sloppy looking (wide, slow and weak).

Still, better than a few weeks ago. Have decided that when my hook is back I'll start sparring 1 day a week, maybe twice a month. By then my cardio should get me through a solid round or two.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Another 2 nights this week at the gym and loving it still.

Noticed that my cardio is slowly improving, but I'm such a fat ass that I don't have the upper body and core strength to do some of the work out moves we do with good form. I always try, but if I can't do it well enough I substitute something else...usually crunches.

Tonight, working the pads, i learned something new. When you slip a punch your counter comes from the hand on that side. So, slip to the right, counter with a right hand. Makes sense because your weight is already on that leg, but I had never thought of it before.

Its funny how those little nuggets of wisdom come about when you least expect it.

Here are a few I've picked up along the way.

Footwork and balance are the foundation.

Conditioning will make or break you.

Learn proper technique, repeat the motions to gain speed, with technique and speed come power.

Glue your hands to your head to keep your head from bouncing around inside your guard like a bell clapper.

Power comes from twisting the body and pushing with your legs.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #23
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Another awesome night at the gym. Got two rounds of mitts in, couple heavy bag rounds, one round on DEB (that whore!)

Lots of calisthenics.

Two different coaches on the mitts. One told me that my hook is too wide last week. This week he said "oh yeah, i remember you, you have the wide hook."

We worked on footwork, stepping in place instead of coming straight in. He was trying to tell me to step in and back out, but I was circling away...which he said was "a more advanced move" but was cool to do.

I told him it was my Manny Pacquaio "creating angles" technique.

He didn't think it was funny.

We worked on letting the hands go, quick combinations, and he showed me that I'm throwing the 1+2+3 quickly (bang bang bang!) then hesitating before the next punches.

I started to let them go, I thought was I was compromising form for speed, but I did it anyway.

Second time I was in the ring with someone else, Marty, and he told me that I was compromising form for speed. Said I should recover my punches fully and the speed will come on its own, which I know is true.

Overall, good night at the gym!

Looking forward to running a 5K on Saturday.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Ran the Flying Pig 5K this past weekend. 40:09

I was hoping for under 42 mins and made it!

Couldn't make the gym Monday. Looking forward to going tomorrow to blow off some stress.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Put in a couple good workouts last week.

Shoulder is feeling nearly 100%. Working a lot on my left hook, which has gotten WIDE AS HELL. It used to be pretty descent. Now it's ugly.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #26
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

Been off for two months from Boxing. Had some running, but no boxing.

Tonight I went back and the gym was 100 degrees or more. Felt overwhelmed at times but kept pushing.

Great workout.

By the time I got on the pads I was exhausted. I always want to do them first so I don't look like a jackass, but it never works that way.

Chick at the gym was wearing an extremely low cut top with boobage everywhere, especially while doing the MMA drills on the ground. VERY distracting...never seen anyone dress ***y for boxing before...whatever.

I'm tired of being a fatass. I miss being slimmer and in shape.

Times now I have to drop of the exercise because I don't have the core strength to support 300lbs in a plank for 3 mins...

Diets, nutrition and exercise don't help. I think I need to see a bariatric doctor because there is something amiss physiologically. Maybe something in my diet that makes me hold the weight?

As much as I exercise and diet its amazing that I don't lose weight when people who do half as much as me are able to lose.
Slacker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs