Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #16
fightking12
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jean Marc Mormeck v David Haye

He could win by keeping alway from Haye power use the jab and push him back.
fightking12 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
chewy 22
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Mormeck has gassed severly the last few fight, too much muscle mass. i defintely think Haye is the better boxer of the two, better footwork, world class amatuer, Mormeck wings his shots, open to counters, he has been stopped before. Thats all im saying...
chewy 22 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM   #18
David UK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain&Northern Ireland

Haye early stoppage, then moves up to be the new face at Heavy
David UK is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #19
Goose
Russian oligarch
ESB Addict

vCash: 550

Mormeck should win this by KAYO
Goose is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 AM   #20
flem1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mormeck by TKO 7
flem1 is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #21
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Haye is a great offensive talent but I really feel any decent fighter with a punch who can take the early outslaught is a 50-50 shot of stopping him late.

Mormeck has a pretty good chin, maybe not good enough to last it with Haye but he is a live chance of stopping Haye late.

Interesting fight because both have glaring weaknesses.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 03:33 AM   #22
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir
Very difficult to make a prediction. I am surprised so many guys say "Haye by KO" without a doubt.
Haye knows how to hype himseld, he says many things but I don't think he is so confident. Even if he has improved fighting Mormeck is France is not fighting Fragomeni in the UK. Haye never defeated a top 10 at cruiser and he was stopped by the only top 15 he fought. He is better than his record tells but it's a fact he never fought the elite boxers of his division.
Haye will have to take some punishment. It's unlikely Mormeck crumbles after one punch : watch how many shots Bell needed to floor Mormeck who had been exhausted after 6 round... Bell can also KO a guy with one punch.
Mormeck is past it but he has still a few good rounds in the tank and his skills are underrated. If you really think he is not skilled enough to land a few shots on Haye watch how he managed to cut the ring to tag tall technicians with proven skills like Virgil Hill who has a great jab and footwork, Brown or Braithwaite. He is no Brudov or Bell who were schooled and counterpunched by Hill or Brown. Mormeck has sparred with the best (Jones, Hall, Mayfield...), he has been trained by the best (Germain, Giachetti) and he has fought the best boxers of his division who had very different kind of styles.
Haye is young , confident, he hits hard and he has a good chance but Mormeck is by far his biggest test in career. There are still questions about Haye : were Mock and Thompson accidents ? Is he powerful enough to keek Mormeck at bay ? Saying Mormeck is a warm up before a move at HW is great but he will have to prove that in the ring. Mormeck won't come to lose, Giachetti will prepare a match plan and Haye will have to prove his heart if he wants the win.
Another thing : Haye probably wants to build his confidence but talking trash is stupid with Mormeck. It won't impress the experienced guy and it could even give him the killing instinct he lacks. Mormeck won't talk trash. He is not naturally a killer but he had said what Braithwaite had told about him had helped him to find the aggressivity in the ring.
Haye doesn't have confidence issues. In fact it appears he is very content.

Haye has beaten numerous top10 cruisers. Fragemoni and Gurov were top 10. I think Kelly was as well.

Hayes chin obviously isn't legendary. He can be hurt but mainly that is because of poor defence, ballance, stamina etc All appear to be rectified so his chin isn't as suspect. Much like Lewis and Hearns.

Look at the hell Gurov put Mormeck through. ONE punch is all it took Haye.

It's over, Haye is turning Mormeck into French Fries.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #23
*BOX_FAN*
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If Haye wins will he go to heavyweight or stay in cruiser ?
Haye KO 7
*BOX_FAN* is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #24
Smith
Monzon-like
ESB Addict

vCash: 484

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BOX_FAN*
If Haye wins will he go to heavyweight or stay in cruiser ?
Haye KO 7
I he wins i think the word is he'll have one or two defences at cruiser (which i very much doubt, i think he'll just go up to Heavy anyway)
Smith is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #25
Snorkel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

The only way I can really see this going is Haye by stoppage.

Haye's got the edge in nearly every department as far as I can see; he's bigger, quicker, stronger and has a more rounded skill set. I think he can win by trading power shots or by working off the jab and going for the points win while Mormeck's best chance is to catch him with a peach of a shot.

That said, I think Haye's chin is being overstated as a weakness. He hasn't been down for ages nor has he looked particularly troubled when taking good shots. I know the fighters he's fought aren't in Mormeck's class and I'm not suggesting Haye's chin is granite but I doubt he'll crumble when caught by one shot. I think his improvements in movement and more conservative, measured style will help him here and he's proven his heart isn't going to let him down either after fighting with a horrific cut against Fragomeni and pulling out the stoppage.
Snorkel is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #26
Fitir
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Haye doesn't have confidence issues. In fact it appears he is very content.
Maybe Haye has no confidence issue.
Here what thinks his opponent. It is a part of an interview Mormeck gave to Grégory Protche (he told about his career, RJJ, Hill, Tyson, the business, Don King, the Acaries etc.)
2 questions about the fear and the chin. A bit unusual cause boxers usually don't want to admit that they are hurt or that they can feel anxious before a fight. It was just before the Braithwaite fight.

The fear ?
"It's more apprehension. The fear, no, cause we train for that."
A punch...it hurts ?
"Yes. I fought in Venezuela, the guy, just to watch him ! I felt bad. I didn't sleep. The guy had traumatized me without a punch. Then he touched me. He stood up, ripped... he had a face... the guys of south america, they don't have life in the eyes. The guy looks at you and you only feel aggressivity. The first punch, I was electrized. I said "Oh ! What are you doing ? Don't hit like that". You have the choice : you can be a coward, you accept the defeat to shorten the punition. Or you can bluff. I was really hurt. But he wanted to play with me in a war. I gave everything I had. He fell. Even when he was down, I wanted to give him shots to finish him. KO3. I was happy. I don't want to meet him again..."

Fitir is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #27
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitir
Maybe Haye has no confidence issue.
Here what thinks his opponent. It is a part of an interview Mormeck gave to Grégory Protche (he told about his career, RJJ, Hill, Tyson, the business, Don King, the Acaries etc.)
2 questions about the fear and the chin. A bit unusual cause boxers usually don't want to admit that they are hurt or that they can feel anxious before a fight. It was just before the Braithwaite fight.

The fear ?
"It's more apprehension. The fear, no, cause we train for that."
A punch...it hurts ?
"Yes. I fought in Venezuela, the guy, just to watch him ! I felt bad. I didn't sleep. The guy had traumatized me without a punch. Then he touched me. He stood up, ripped... he had a face... the guys of south america, they don't have life in the eyes. The guy looks at you and you only feel aggressivity. The first punch, I was electrized. I said "Oh ! What are you doing ? Don't hit like that". You have the choice : you can be a coward, you accept the defeat to shorten the punition. Or you can bluff. I was really hurt. But he wanted to play with me in a war. I gave everything I had. He fell. Even when he was down, I wanted to give him shots to finish him. KO3. I was happy. I don't want to meet him again..."

The funny thing is Haye says - yes I can be hurt, yes I can be ko'd, this is big time boxing and one punch can change everything. When Mock hurt Haye and he did, Haye said - great, hopefully people will actually step up and fight me.

Fact is Haye pre Thompson fought like a moron and everyone knew it. I liked him because he was balls to the wall but it was dumb. He gave everyone a chance of winning, just like Wlad did once. Like Wlad he got stopped by someone who isn't in his league.

Post Thompson we are talking about a totally different animal.

I give Mormeck his props, what I say is mostly for hype. Mormeck generally fights a very corageous fight. He takes big shots and comes back with bigger ones. This won against all but Bell. Credit to him, he still warred with Mormeck then played it smart. If he didn't he would have lost. I don't blame him, I blame open scoring. He is a boxer and his job is to leave with the W, he did that.

This is a 50-50 fight. A quality boxer v a quality slugger, both have breakable chins, both can punch. Mormeck can box a bit and Haye can brawl a bit.

Generally I think Haye fights smarter and his moves are a little more polished. Plus I do think his power if frightening. When a guy survives it, it is simply because they are quite tough not because he can't punch.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #28
andyZOR
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 823

I think Haye should go to Heavy. Theres no one there really... and he would really shake the division up.
andyZOR is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #29
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyzOr
I think Haye should go to Heavy. Theres no one there really... and he would really shake the division up.
He won't shake it, he'll bake it!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum