Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-27-2009, 05:29 AM   #31
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston v Scrap Iron Johnson: Johnson sucks up crazy punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k. View Post
Good post
i agree

we must have a different definition of "limited" but i knew ali would come into it.i can't remember him body punching or throwing left hooks either.what i think of as limited ,is a fighter who is good at domestic level but falls short of top level.
sonny liston , as mentioned, is a top 10 heavy.
turpinr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Sonny Liston v Scrap Iron Johnson: Johnson sucks up crazy punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Wow. Send him a valentine.

Sonny was a great but limited fighter. He was quite slow, of hand and foot but very powerful and quite skilled. I'm not such a fetishist for his dimensions but whatever...
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #33
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY24J3dtoXY[/ame]
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #34
John Galt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

edit

Last edited by John Galt; 03-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.
John Galt is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #35
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Don't trust the "tale of the tape." Ali's reach was measured on TV and was 78 from finger tip to finger tip across the back of his neck. He was long armed and broad shouldered too. When he was in the ring with Liston it was obvious that his reach was longer. Also in one of the Liston vs. Cleveland Williams fights, the announcer mentions that Williams has a big reach advantage.

Tommy Hearns was not 6-2. I've stood beside him and he might be 5-11.
i take your words 4 all of it , but man , not that i disagree , but if Tommy Hearns was 5'11" it makes Ray Leonard something like 5'8.5" , and i read that he stood next 2 Tyson and seemed taller , which , supposing he had higher heels , makes Tyson like 5'9" , which , .. , is very much possible .
Also he did seem taller than Virgil Hill who was taller than RJJ , whom was slightly taller than Reggie Johnson and James Toney , which must make them something like 5'8" at most . I guess d exaggerations r slightly more than i thought and claimed .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #36
John Galt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

edit

Last edited by John Galt; 03-27-2014 at 03:18 PM.
John Galt is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #37
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Frankenfrank, there was another poster on the CBZ from Hearns' hometown and we discussed Hearns' height. He too had been around Hearns and agreed that he was less than 6-0.

I was watching Holyfield - Tillis a few days ago and Tillis was obviously taller than Holyfield but they has Tillis listed at 6-1 and Holyfield at 6-2.5. I've stood beside Tillis too and 6-1 is probably about right for him. Holyfield looked much taller than Tyson in the ring so I wouldn't be surprised if Tyson is 5-9 or less.

There was a guy on the CBZ named Karl who wrote that he had spent time around Hagler and he said Hagler was not over 5-6. Who knows?
makes sense . i think i once read that Holyfield's height is 6" , i think it was in wikipedia . and he seemed like a huge giant next 2 james toney . also i read that in d minter fight , minter seemed like a good 3 inches taller than hagler , despite he is usually listed as shorter , then hagler was d same height as duran , who is listed as 5'7" and quite surely shorter than that in reality and i think i once saw a slightly smaller measure of him .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #38
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I watched that fight "live" on late night TV back in the olden days.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Old 04-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

What's interesting to me about Sonny-Scrap Iron is that Liston's punching in reverse gear, something we never saw Marciano attempt on film. That Sonny could choose to do this has interesting ramifications for fantasy matches with the likes of Jeffries and Foreman. It's something like seeing Walker boxing in retreat for the rematch with Hudkins, or Ali on the attack over the first five rounds stalking after Mac Foster (or also on the hunt for Blue Lewis). It's not something we might expect Liston capable of without this footage.
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum