Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 AM   #31
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Frazier vs Ernie Shavers

The mistake everone makes with Frazier is thinking Foreman beat a prime joe frazier. Frazier was already fighting outside of his generation by that point, he was a 1960s fighter who had dominated and cleaned out the division for as long and as well as rocky marciano had during the 1950s. The edge in timing Frazier lost in TFOTC meant he had to take more shots on the way in. that was fine against ali and joe bugner or fighters he had already beat as old as he was like quary and ellis but not a young talent like george foreman. Sure shavers hit very hard but his timing and speed was not on foremans class. A prime, pin point Joe frazier of the bob foster fight hits shavers for fun before shavers gets into range. It would be a very, very easy fight for joe frazier. with perfect eyesight and timing, doubling up that hook at any range, weaving, turning and second guesing the lumbering shavers would leave poor ernie in a very sorry sight before round 4. very dangerous match for brave shavers.
choklab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #32
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingmemories View Post
I think Shavers would have won it like Foreman did.....
Big difference between Shavers and Foreman. Yes,Earnie could hit as hard as George with his right hand,but he needed to land it correctly to do any real damage. Foreman was equally devastating with either hand,and could bang hard even if he were throwing punches wildly. Also,George's chin was tougher than Earnie's.

I've no doubt that Earnie could hurt Joe in the early going,but once Frazier gets into his stride,he'd put the pressure on and stop 'The Acorn' during the middle sessions of the fight.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #33
Gyro
Journeyman

Frazier peaked in FOTC. That was the best Frazier ever performed in his career. Its safe to say 71 Frazier was the best Frazier we saw. Its how he was able to beat Ali, I admit it was a rusty and diminished Ali who was still shaking off almost 4 years of inactivity and no longer had his "legs" from the 60s. But Frazier was still at his best for that fight. Since that's where he peaked, and in addition to taking tremendous punishment from Ali in that fight he began to diminish soon after that(I believe Frazier spent one month in the hospital after FOTC) 72-75 Frazier was still very good and I don't think Shavers could beat that Frazier either. Shavers could beat 76 Frazier but that was a completely faded Frazier.
Gyro is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #34
Gyro
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
The mistake everone makes with Frazier is thinking Foreman beat a prime joe frazier. Frazier was already fighting outside of his generation by that point, he was a 1960s fighter who had dominated and cleaned out the division for as long and as well as rocky marciano had during the 1950s. The edge in timing Frazier lost in TFOTC meant he had to take more shots on the way in. that was fine against ali and joe bugner or fighters he had already beat as old as he was like quary and ellis but not a young talent like george foreman. Sure shavers hit very hard but his timing and speed was not on foremans class. A prime, pin point Joe frazier of the bob foster fight hits shavers for fun before shavers gets into range. It would be a very, very easy fight for joe frazier. with perfect eyesight and timing, doubling up that hook at any range, weaving, turning and second guesing the lumbering shavers would leave poor ernie in a very sorry sight before round 4. very dangerous match for brave shavers.

Frazier peaked in FOTC. That was the best Frazier ever performed in his career. Its safe to say 71 Frazier was the best Frazier we saw. Its how he was able to beat Ali, I admit it was a rusty and diminished Ali who was still shaking off almost 4 years of inactivity and no longer had his "legs" from the 60s. But Frazier was still at his best for that fight. Since that's where he peaked, and in addition to taking tremendous punishment from Ali in that fight he began to diminish soon after that(I believe Frazier spent one month in the hospital after FOTC) 72-75 Frazier was still very good and I don't think Shavers could beat that Frazier either. Shavers could beat 76 Frazier but that was a completely faded Frazier.
Gyro is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #35
Boxing Wizard

People are missing something very important. So much is made of Foreman's win over Frazier and the thought that other punchers like Shavers could have duplicated it. Foreman was bigger and stronger than Shavers and most importantly he was a pusher (which Shavers was not). Watch Foreman-Frazier again and see how many times Foreman shoved Frazier away (which should have been illegal and he was finally warned for it in the second round - when it was to late for Frazier). Shavers would not have done this and with Ernie's questionable chin Frazier might have taken him out as fast as Quarry did.
Boxing Wizard is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #36
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Have revised my opinion. If Shavers hits Frazier with anything it'll be the left hook, the one that he landed on Lyle and nearly decapitated him with.

Still have Frazier winning, but it might not be as one sided as I thought.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #37
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

In addition to the previous posters I have revised my own opinion. That shirt does make you look fat.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #38
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102

Frazier by late KO, he crowds shavers and doesn't allow him to use the punching room and range he would need to land.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
In addition to the previous posters I have revised my own opinion. That shirt does make you look fat.
The red one? I'd say it makes me look pleasantly plump, not fat.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 01:46 AM   #40
Capaedia
Consumate Newb
ESB Jr Member

Shavers has about as much chance as he has against any ATG heavyweight.

He fell far short of greatness for a number of reasons. To reference Foreman-Frazier is to give him a lot of qualities he simply doesn't possess.

He isn't pushing Frazier off, in fact I'm quite sure Frazier is the stronger man. He won't be able to shake off a decent left hook if he gives Frazier an opening (he will have to open up to win, and Foreman got hit too, he just had the ability to shrug it off and keep slugging), finally if he does land his heavy, heavy punches, whats to say Frazier doesn't keep just getting back up like he did against Foreman?

He has to get rid of him very early. I don't think he has the tools otherwise he would've done a lot better than he actually did in real life. Although he has done bizarrely well for himself in fantasy fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuaman View Post
This.

George threw low, clubbing uppercuts right where Frazier was bobbing and weaving. He didn't punch downwards and miss Frazier the way Ali and other opponents did. Frazier was always moving his head down low, so catching him clean was a hard task. But George launched his shots right in Frazier's head zone. He didn't try to punch downwards--his arms were already there. I don't see Shavers doing that, and he'd get mauled and TKO'd before round 6.
I don't think dropping his hands to try and uppercut from low would work too well for Shavers.

Actually he may as well stick an apple in his mouth and get in an oven.

He'd have to land the first time he threw one. A great one too (like the KO over Ellis, actually. But different situation since Frazier would be on his chest, backing him up and outworking him), or he'd get his chin checked and I don't think he was durable enough to make it past that. All that would need to happen is him being stunned for a second, and he'd be lost.
Capaedia is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #41
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
The red one? I'd say it makes me look pleasantly plump, not fat.

Clearly talking bout the white one.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #42
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Frazier would seriously mow him down and beat him badly.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #43
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro View Post

Yeah. Joe fought totally out of his skin in the FOTC. Even a still slightly ring rusty Muhammad Ali was a very dangerous opponent.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #44
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Joe Frazier KO 4
Theron is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
kingfisher3
Contender