Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874
Default Marlon Starling vs. Tommy Hearns

Hearns would probably be the sizable favorite, but would he pick up the stoppage?
KOTF is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120
Default Re: Marlon Starling vs. Tommy Hearns

what say u ?
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

NO, Marlon was doing real well in a sparring session prior to Tommy's first fight with Ray Leonard, but unfortunately, he got his jaw broke and his momentum set back a few months.Tommy would have to settle for a unanimous decision, Marlon's defense would give him problems, but Hearn's jab would be more than enough to help offset anything Marlon would have.Hearns UD 15 Starling.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 861

Starling's style of defense might not hold up against a fighter like Hearns
kopejh is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Hearns UD Starling.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

No, Tommy would not pick up the stoppage, either over 12 or the championship distance. Moochie would be especially vigilant with his defense here, and Hearns would accept the easy decision his way. He would not attempt to knock the Magic Man out. Starling wasn't a wide open Cuevas or partying Duran, and we've seen how he knocked out Breland. Marlon was perfectly competitive with Hit Man stature opponents like Breland, Nunn and Blocker, and Tommy was an extremely smart operator. He wouldn't be playing games and taking chances with Starling, and that means keeping his distance and conservatively boxing for the decision in this instance.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I am a big fan of Thomas, I could say he could knock him out, but I think he would jab and win a UD fight. Starling was very good defensively and very hard to knock out. Tommy could do it, but I think after a few rounds he would be easily winning rounds and win a decision. Starling would not be tough for Hearns.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I see Tommy winning a UD, but I don't think it would be easy. The major problem for Tommy would be the later rounds, and I could see Tommy having trouble finishing this fight, but he would hold on to a close decision. I don't see Tommy knocking Starling out.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 04-16-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Hearns WOULD stop Starling.

I'm sorry, but blocking punches with your gloves might work with Breland, and Honeyghan, but it aint gonna work with Hearns.

Tommy KO 5-6.
Xplosive is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post

I'm sorry, but blocking punches with your gloves might work with Breland, and Honeyghan, but it aint gonna work with Hearns.

Tommy KO 5-6.
I tend to agree with this result but think it would take longer. Starling would do the earmuffs thing and Tommy would bust him with that jab and the right hand down the pike. Those may catch a lot of glove, but would pile up a lot of rounds. The real damage I believe would be from Tommy's underrated left hook to the body and straight right hands to the body. Rough night for Moochie.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplosive View Post

Tommy KO 5-6.
Watch more Starling. You're so wrong it's unvelievable. It'd be like the Benitez fight regardless of how healthy Tommy's hands are.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Watch more Starling. You're so wrong it's unvelievable. It'd be like the Benitez fight regardless of how healthy Tommy's hands are.
While I like the comparison, I think Benitez had much more abillity to flat out make an opponent miss than Starling. That is huge against someone coming with the force of Hearns. I also think Benitez at 154 especially demanded more respect of his punching power than Starling. I could see Starling making ear muffs and Tommy teeing off.
Starling's abillities certainly deserve respect, but I think it's a bad styles matchup. Just my opinion.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I agree with this. The more I think about this fight, the more I think Marlon could trouble Hearns. I could see Hearns wearing himself out trying to knock Starling out, and having trouble surviving in the later rounds. Starling could be very effecting against Hearns if he could get inside his reach. I'd still pick Hearns to win a close decision.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #14
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Tommy seemed to have 2 distinct personas at various times of his career, either The Hitman or the Motor City Cobra. I think Tommy is the Cobra in this fight and wins on points, in a not particularly exciting fight.
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
While I like the comparison, I think Benitez had much more abillity to flat out make an opponent miss than Starling. That is huge against someone coming with the force of Hearns. I also think Benitez at 154 especially demanded more respect of his punching power than Starling. I could see Starling making ear muffs and Tommy teeing off.
Starling's abillities certainly deserve respect, but I think it's a bad styles matchup. Just my opinion.
Hearns will find Starling too strong IMO. He'd choose to box him (I imagine) and Starling didn't just stand there with his earmuffs on, he realigned himself for each shot, although I agree Tommy's handspeed may stop him blocking everything
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum