Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: How will it end?
50-0 Unbeaten. Beats Paq/Martinez at 154+ 34 34.69%
43-0 Unbeaten - no big challenges recently 33 33.67%
Loses once to an underdog. Retires 44-1ish 13 13.27%
Loses to Cotto - Jail - Retires 1 1.02%
Finally takes on a challenge and loses (Paq/Martinez) 17 17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #1
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

42-0. Age 35. Upcoming jail sentence.

Seven wins away from Marciano's perfect record.

How do you see it?

Will he chase the record by fighting 'easier' opponents? At two fights per year (asking a lot) he'd be nearly 40 when should he do it.

Will he take on legacy defining fights with Paq/Martinez?

If he took on and beat

Cotto, Berto, Khan, Paq, Martinez, Alvarez and Brook () in his next 7 and won them all, where would he rank? (Extremely unlikely to take these on but hypothetically) Top 10/20/50 all time?
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #2
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 35,167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Void could go to jail for beating up another woman..........................
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

True. I'd add that option if I could.
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cymru
Posts: 14,459
vCash: 172
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

I only see him fighting 2 - 3 more times, winning everthing and retiring undefeated.
Ilesey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
stuey
Never bet on England
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: the sham
Posts: 1,795
vCash: 622
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

For me, he retires undefeated having at least two more after cotto, one of which wil be a legacy type fight (pac)
He is already among the greats imo, reckon he would have held his own in any era and won v nearly everyone. A truly great fighter.
stuey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
For me, he retires undefeated having at least two more after cotto, one of which wil be a legacy type fight (pac)
He is already among the greats imo, reckon he would have held his own in any era and won v nearly everyone. A truly great fighter.
I agree.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

He'll retire undefeated but as an enigmatic, unfulfilled talent.

What a waste of ability.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

If he fought and beat Paq and Martinez at at least 154, would he be top 25 all time? Higher than Roy Jones/Whitaker/Chavez?
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Not for me.

Martinez is good, very good actually, but he's not really been able to prove his dominance over the 160lb class due to ''politics'' - basically other ''champions'' preferring to fight bus drivers instead.

It's a fight I'd advise Floyd to take at 160 - the welterweight champion defeating the middleweight champion is huge, in any era, the achievement will only be cheapened by doing it at 154 anyway.

Pac.... he's slipped - I'd rather not see that fight now to be honest. Beat Bradley and retire would be my advice to him. Watching him be made to look silly by Marquez was sad - I wanted Marquez to win but not like that.

Floyd had all the opportunities and chose not to take them, which reflects badly on him - Margarito was hyped and in good form - he chose Baldomir. Cotto likewise - he ''retired''.

Beating guys like Ortiz just isn't enough, he's not a ''proper'' fighter IMO, he's just a creation of the GBP/HBO alliance, I'd stick Frankie Gavin in with him tomorrow to be honest. Floyd had nearly two years off and took the piss out of him, forcing a shocking meltdown in the end.

Still, Ortiz got what he wanted - out with his cheque, taking as little damage as possible. If he'd gone the distance he'd never have fought again.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 AM   #10
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
Not for me.

Martinez is good, very good actually, but he's not really been able to prove his dominance over the 160lb class due to ''politics'' - basically other ''champions'' preferring to fight bus drivers instead.

It's a fight I'd advise Floyd to take at 160 - the welterweight champion defeating the middleweight champion is huge, in any era, the achievement will only be cheapened by doing it at 154 anyway.

Pac.... he's slipped - I'd rather not see that fight now to be honest. Beat Bradley and retire would be my advice to him. Watching him be made to look silly by Marquez was sad - I wanted Marquez to win but not like that.

Floyd had all the opportunities and chose not to take them, which reflects badly on him - Margarito was hyped and in good form - he chose Baldomir. Cotto likewise - he ''retired''.

Beating guys like Ortiz just isn't enough, he's not a ''proper'' fighter IMO, he's just a creation of the GBP/HBO alliance, I'd stick Frankie Gavin in with him tomorrow to be honest. Floyd had nearly two years off and took the piss out of him, forcing a shocking meltdown in the end.

Still, Ortiz got what he wanted - out with his cheque, taking as little damage as possible. If he'd gone the distance he'd never have fought again.
I don't get this?

Yeah, a Paq win now doesn't have the weight it did 2 years ago, even though he is older. However, if Paq stops Bradley it'll come back IMO. Opinions change so much of the back of one fight.

I see your point (I don't really mind he hasn't fought Pirog/Chavez Jr etc, there's no doubt whatsoever he'd beat them all with ease) about Martinez but him at 160 is a fight he'd NEVER take. He refuses 50/50 fights and for me I'd have Martinez a slight favourite at 160.
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
leo_messi
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
If he fought and beat Paq and Martinez at at least 154, would he be top 25 all time? Higher than Roy Jones/Whitaker/Chavez?
If he did, and that is a big if. Then yes he would be top 15 ever.
leo_messi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #12
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
I don't get this?

Yeah, a Paq win now doesn't have the weight it did 2 years ago, even though he is older. However, if Paq stops Bradley it'll come back IMO. Opinions change so much of the back of one fight.

I see your point (I don't really mind he hasn't fought Pirog/Chavez Jr etc, there's no doubt whatsoever he'd beat them all with ease) about Martinez but him at 160 is a fight he'd NEVER take. He refuses 50/50 fights and for me I'd have Martinez a slight favourite at 160.
I don't rate Ortiz at all, basically. His lack of ring IQ is ridiculous, and he's got very little skill.

Pac.... I wasn't sure what was happening with him during the Mosley fight, wasn't sure whether he seemed to have lost something or whether he was just carrying Shane, but in the Marquez fight it was evident that his legs are going.

Without his legs, he's no chance against Floyd I'm afraid.

With Floyd, it's a shame he wouldn't take Martinez up at 160, I'd make Floyd a slight favourite in that one. Martinez isn't really the type to impose himself on someone, saying that we've all seen how Floyd toys with those kind of fighters anyway.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
If he fought and beat Paq and Martinez at at least 154, would he be top 25 all time? Higher than Roy Jones/Whitaker/Chavez?
Only one of those is in my top 25 (Pernell) and absolutely no chance would I put Floyd in that company.

If he beat Pac' and Sergio he might break the top 50-60.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,875
vCash: 75
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_messi View Post
If he did, and that is a big if. Then yes he would be top 15 ever.
No he wouldn't.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:25 AM   #15
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Check Hook Boxing
Posts: 2,207
vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Floyd probably is in the top 25 for natural talent and ability, but in terms of accomplishments you can't help but feel underwhelmed.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's never fought anyone (like I would with Calzaghe pretty much), but there's only a couple of opponents he faced at their most dangerous.

And a list of excellent opponents that he either didn't face or got at the wrong time legacy wise.
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013