Loses to Cotto - Jail - Retires 1 1.02%
Finally takes on a challenge and loses (Paq/Martinez) 17 17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #46
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Who's this Andrade guy at 154?

One thing I really don't want to see happen is him take on Martinez and force it at 150. It renders the whole fight as pointless.

If he beat those seven that I mentioned at the top or even Jonesy's seven I'd have him ahead of Tommy Hearns, definitely. It's highly unlikely he'd take on those fights given his age and more importantly, his mentality but yeah higher than Hearns.
Lilo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #47
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post

One thing I really don't want to see happen is him take on Martinez and force it at 150. It renders the whole fight as pointless.

If he beat those seven that I mentioned at the top or even Jonesy's seven I'd have him ahead of Tommy Hearns, definitely. It's highly unlikely he'd take on those fights given his age and more importantly, his mentality but yeah higher than Hearns.
Demetrius Andrade, skilful prospect at 154.
Bajingo is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #48
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajingo View Post
Demetrius Andrade, skilful prospect at 154.
Yeah just googled him, world amateur champ. What's the craic with the guy who beat him in the Olympics - Nurlan Meinmanov*? He won gold, then became "a world champion" and then retired? Tried googling him but can't find anything.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM   #49
Jimjom
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Talent? What does that mean? I care about what fighters actually do, not how they appear.
Floyd brings out the general in a lot of people, I'm with Flea on this, it's not that he's a bad fighter, it just there are many many more who have achieved more, pacman included, just because he looks slick in match ups he'd won by the first press conference does not convey talent to me, beating great opponents in tough fights proves talent
Jimjom is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #50
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post

Than Hearns? Really?
Hearns has Duran, Cuevas (both by KO) the 2nd Leonard fight (robbery), Benitez (not quite peak but still very good) Hill, Andries, 'titles' from 147 to 175 (I personally think he was the no.1 only at 175 for sure, 154 is debatable) and in terms of skillset/attributes is as beautiful a boxer as Floyd (when he wanted to)

Other than losing, I cannot see the argument for Floyd>Hearns at all, other than being swayed by the '0'.

The likes of Ojadlie, Kinchen, Espeda, Muangsurin, Bruce Curry match up to some of Floyd's best wins/second tier, and they are second/third tier wins for Hearns. EDIT: ****ING HELL!!! Forgot Gazo.

Last edited by Flea Man; 04-18-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #51
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Why? Martinez isn't massively bigger than him. Ray Leonard managed it when he was a light-middle at biggest. Ray Robinson managed it when he'd spent all of his prime at 147, and was past-prime for much of his 160 tenure.

Floyd always has an alibi for avoiding a challenge. Except for punching his baby mother in the mouth.
Mayweather started at 130lbs! He walks around . Plus you have to factor in Ray Robinson has same day weigh ins, Mayweather would be 157 max and Martinez will be 170 by the time they get in the ring.

Ray Robinson never faced anybody with a 10lbs + weight advantage.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #52
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Than Hearns? Really?
Hearns has Duran, Cuevas (both by KO) the 2nd Leonard fight (robbery), Benitez (not quite peak but still very good), 'titles' from 147 to 175 (I personally think he was the no.1 only at 175 for sure, 154 is debatable) and in terms of skillset/attributes is as beautiful a boxer as Floyd (when he wanted to)
Other than losing, I cannot see the argument for Floyd>Hearns at all, other than being swayed by the '0'.
Floyd will have done it from 130-160. Would have been true champion in 5 divisions after doing that.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #53
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Mayweather started at 130lbs! He walks around . Plus you have to factor in Ray Robinson has same day weigh ins, Mayweather would be 157 max and Martinez will be 170 by the time they get in the ring.

Duran started at feather, he fought hagler - a much better fighter than martinez.

Bob Foster went up and challenged Frazier

Billy Conn v Joe Louis

Oh and yea he did Rob, i think he fought Joey Maxim when he weighed 157 and Maxim 173.

Blurt
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #54
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

He'll probably end up like 46-0.

Hope he fights Canelo, Martinez, Pac.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #55
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Joey Maxim.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #56
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Floyd will have done it from 130-160. Would have been true champion in 5 divisions after doing that.
And? Hearns has a much better resume as well as weight jumping. I also forgot Randy Shields and Kinchen. They are as good as Ortiz, Bruseles etc etc Floyd's lesser names.

So it's just quantity, not quality for you? Or are you never goin to shift from your position as Floyd as the best thing since sliced bread?

BTW, Lamotta outweighed Robbo in their first few fights and he was getting the better of a natural cruiser (and great light heavy) in Maxim before the heat got to him and he collapsed....in a round Floyd has never even fought in.

Again, don't make outlandish claims when you haven't done the research. As I always say, nothing wrong with not being a geek who has the time to research stuff, just no point taking a wild stab in the dark and making yourself look a cunt.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #57
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Why do people, who don't know boxing history to a fair extent, just throw around numbers relating to ATG standings like they have any credence? Obviously it's all subjective, but surely your understanding of an ATG list would be skewed if you haven't watched/studied all the greats to get a fair balance of things?

I admit that I don't know enough about the greats to formulate even a rough outline as to where I would place them in a list. That's why I won't be saying 'Floyd is top 10/20/40/60' etc. because it would just be a shot in the dark and hold no credibility whatsoever.
My point exactly. And often posters who have ADMITTED THEY HAVE LITTLE INTEREST and HAVE DONE LITTLE STUDYING on the old timers.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #58
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:

As others have said, Ray faced Maxim at 175. He was around 158 on the night, fully clothed and carrying a coal scuttle.

The whole point of fighting Martinez is that Floyd will not hold all the advantages for once. Floyd is not a blown up super feather - he's a natural welter who can easily navigate the step up.

For the record, I think the Cotto fight is a good one, but really it's not a fight where Floydhas any disadvantages. He wants to look good against a near-prime fighter and Cotto is perfect for that.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #59
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
As others have said, Ray faced Maxim at 175. He was around 158 on the night, fully clothed and carrying a coal scuttle.

The whole point of fighting Martinez is that Floyd will not hold all the advantages for once. Floyd is not a blown up super feather - he's a natural welter who can easily navigate the step up.

For the record, I think the Cotto fight is a good one, but really it's not a fight where Floydhas any disadvantages. He wants to look good against a near-prime fighter and Cotto is perfect for that.
hes not a natural welter.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #60
JukeboxTimebomb
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cotto and Pacquiao aren't the same fighters they were, its a shame but its true. Martinez hasn't done much as a Middleweight Champion for a win over him to take Floyd beyond the likes of Ezzard Charles. Charles was a Middleweight that beat Burley, Moore, Elmer Ray, Bob Satafield, Jimmy Bivins, an old Joe Louis and Joey Maxim. He couldn't get title shots at Middle or Light Heavyweight so he moved up and became Heavyweight Champion. Floyd is 35, he's going to jail soon and he avoided all the guys he could of proved his greatness against after his scare against Castillo when he was younger, he isn't going to match what Charles did by beating Pacquiao or Martinez, he probably won't even fight them.

If Floyd taking on Sergio Martinez is unreasonable, then its unreasonable to even mention him along side Sam Langford who has wins over ATG Lightweight champion Joe Gans at Lightweight when he was still a teenager and later on scored KO victories over Hall Of Fame Heavyweights Sam McVea, Joe Jannette and Harry Wills. Micky Walker was Welterweight Champion and drew with Heavyweight Champion Jack Sharkey, think Sharkey was shit well watch this and shut the **** up about Mayweather being as great as Micky Walker.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYz_e9WnGjc[/ame]
JukeboxTimebomb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum