Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 04-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 325
Post Universum still has no TV contract, contracts run out at the end of 2012

According to this interview today, it looks like Universum may soon be out of business. The existing contracts will run out by the end of 2012.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Unless they soon find a TV partner, all the remaining Universum fighters will need to find new promoters.

I think people like Braehmer, Chagaev, Sartison and Zbik may go to smaller promoters like EC or ARENA.

Perhaps the talented Russians Chakhkiev and Boytsov will sign with Sauerland, or with a Russian promoter like Hrunov?
Joe_MacKenzie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Universum still has no TV contract, contracts run out at the end of 2012

Perhaps Universum should bring over the Goosen's and work with them, that would put the final nail in their coffin. Everything those sleazy Goosen's touch get ruined.

Sorry; I know this is a thread about UBP but I simply hate the Goosen's and cannot resist taking shots at them.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
zxcvbnm
#TeamHWFuture
ESB Addict

vCash: 544
Default Re: Universum still has no TV contract, contracts run out at the end of 2012

I don't understand how a promoter with a solid stable can go under like this
Anyone know what's going on?
zxcvbnm is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbnm View Post
I don't understand how a promoter with a solid stable can go under like this
Anyone know what's going on?
Years of incompetence.

They've ruined their previous TV contract with too many mismatches and by usually leaving the selection of opponents until the last moment. With a week to go until a fight, it's difficult to find anyone decent. Obviously, more people will plan tune in and watch a fight if they know who the opponent is.

Notice by their 15th fights, Pulev and Helenius already fought more decent opponents than Boytsov after 30 fights? That's partly because Sauerland selects those boxers' opponents months before the fight, Universum waits until it's too late.

Universum's management has lacked common sense.

Headlining their cards with mediocre German boxers like Zbik and Braehmer instead of talented fighters from the former Soviet republics like Golovkin and Boytsov didn't help.

Last edited by Joe_MacKenzie; 04-18-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Livershot09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 14877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post
According to this interview today, it looks like Universum may soon be out of business. The existing contracts will run out by the end of 2012.

If this holds up, they just might throw Boytsov in with a Klitschko this year in an effort to "cash out" before he has a chance to sign with another promoter.
Livershot09 is offline  Top
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livershot09 View Post
If this holds up, they just might throw Boytsov in with a Klitschko this year in an effort to "cash out" before he has a chance to sign with another promoter.
Yes. That's what Klutch is trying to do right now.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

Off to Sauerland where you can get a decent fight, **** Universum for ruining Boytsov!

And now I see why Balzsay-Sartison wasn't televised.
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
Off to Sauerland where you can get a decent fight, **** Universum for ruining Boytsov!

And now I see why Balzsay-Sartison wasn't televised.
Yes it was. Im looking at it right now...
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_MacKenzie View Post
Notice by their 15th fights, Pulev and Helenius already fought more decent opponents than Boytsov after 30 fights? That's partly because Sauerland selects those boxers' opponents months before the fight, Universum waits until it's too late.

I'm not so sure. It seems to me that Universum was forced to be cautious with Boytsov, because of his limitations and lack of a big amateur pedigree. Helenius and Pulev were different, in that they have stronger amateur pedigree and more talent.

If Universum hadn't moved carefully with Boytsov, they might have gotten him knocked off by a tough opponent.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
Could be the opposite: maybe Universum's careful handling of Boytsov enabled him to obtain a ranking above what's warranted by his ability level.

Boytsov is no Klitschko.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmore View Post
I'm not so sure. It seems to me that Universum was forced to be cautious with Boytsov, because of his limitations and lack of a big amateur pedigree. Helenius and Pulev were different, in that they have stronger amateur pedigree and more talent.

If Universum hadn't moved carefully with Boytsov, they might have gotten him knocked off by a tough opponent.
He won the Junior World Championships then turned pro.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
He won the Junior World Championships then turned pro.
The Junior Worlds are not as competitive as the Olympics, Worlds, or World Military Games.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 06-11-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
SimplyTheBest
Heavyweight Destroyer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1403

Universum has been on the slide since K2 won their lawsuit against Kohl, they'll be out of business before much longer.
SimplyTheBest is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum