Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
oli
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Joe Gallagher dangerous....

He makes Billy Graham look like Nacho Beristain
oli is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #47
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
Surly this situation rears its head if you get good quality sparring?
Heavier gloves and headguards means that you aren't going to experinece in sparring what you do in the ring.....DFT is right in that the onlt thing that you can teach a lad is what to do when your legs aren't doing what your head tells them to....you can't replicate temporary double vision or utter confusion though
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #48
BrianMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
It can only get covered in sparring if you are actually hurt....Ultimately the only place that you find out how you are going to react is in the ring and thats then down to character and intelligence

Could always do what Cotto's trainer does and make him spin round in circles in the ring then get to work
BrianMcB is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #49
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMcB View Post
Could always do what Cotto's trainer does and make him spin round in circles in the ring then get to work
I didn't know that thats what Cotto did until DFT mentioned it earlier in the thread...as daft as it sounds it really does have merit.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #50
gasman
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 900

Crolla entered the ring looking like it was going to be a stroll in the park and I thought it would be, to be honest.

But like many of you have already said, the Gallagher fighters seem to be just one-dimensional, rely on pressure and attrition with little in the way of technique.

Crolla just walked forward with the ear muffs on and was open to the angles all night. The stoppage was crap, but it would have happened anyhow.
gasman is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #51
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GieroLugZ1E&feature=g-vrec&context=G26dd227RVAAAAAAAABQ[/ame]

Another Ricky Hatton vid from his early days..... if only he was as calm and relaxed as this in his big fights
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #52
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

its hard to see a fighter like hatton coming through again,you could tell from day one he was going to be a bit special.
same as benn,eubank,watson,hamed,lewis,bruno,i don't think we will ever have a era as good as then in british boxing again.
we have decent fringe world titleists such as khan,but he is not that special as has been found out,same as haye,froch is possibly the best of the bunch.
degale and groves may win a title,but not against the likes of ward/froch/bute.

crolla needs to move stables,but he is not world titlist material,not even close
widdy is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #53
Dan684
Dave's Stepdad
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
This might just be me that thinks this but I feel Gallagher might be a bit too arrogant in his teaching methods, like he knows best and refuses to accept other ways of doing things and other tactics? I don't know but it would explain a few things imo?
I think to be honest, there's never ever been any question of Gallagher NOT being arrogant. From the way he talks down to people, to the way he acted at Beta Bodies gym. The man is arrogant through and through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Look at Macklin, as good as he performed in the Sturm fight, he must of knew Gallaghers tactics would have been shite against Martinez, so he moved to Buddy Mcgirt for the fight and boxed in a way I didn't know he was capable of, if he would have had Gallagher in his corner for that fight It would have been over a lot sooner.
Macklin's a bad example, he moves trainers everyfight, and switches nationalities
Dan684 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #54
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I agree Widdy.

Looking at Hatton in those clips is like night and day compared to some of the lads that are coming through now, against a better opponent in about his 7th fight.

Obviously amateur boxing is crap and encourages flaws, but should the gap really be so big? Even though Hatton was obviously very good.

I think they're fed too many crap opponents early, and also there's the obsession with developing a pro style - why not just stick to what's natural but just plant your feet more? Rather than completely overhaul what made you good in the first place?
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #55
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Hatton compensated for his lack of power by becoming very efficient with his bodywork.

Also, look at all the subtle little things he did - those little side-steps when he was picking his shots, dipping his head to the left and right as his opponent was jabbing, and changing his centre of balance to make it hard to counter him without opening up to shots in return.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #56
widdy
lancs,where real men live
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Hatton compensated for his lack of power by becoming very efficient with his bodywork.

Also, look at all the subtle little things he did - those little side-steps when he was picking his shots, dipping his head to the left and right as his opponent was jabbing, and changing his centre of balance to make it hard to counter him without opening up to shots in return.
yup,his movment was brilliant,his slipping punchs and turning people with his footwork was great up until he beat kosta,then he gave up to it and thought he could walk through people.
its a shame fighters don't try and copy him,im suprised hatton aint got crolla doing that instead of face 1st cos his body punching was good last night,he was hurting mathews everytime he hit him with the left hook to body
widdy is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #57
REEVO
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Theres no way in a million years a fighter like Crolla should be marching forward like that.. Tottally needs to get the **** out of that gym.. Joe Gallagher like the thread starter said is dangerous..
REEVO is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:27 AM   #58
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

First 2 rounds Crolla looked really good, his defense was tight and his accuracy was exceptional, as soon as he got dropped, he decided to forget about defence and his game plan went out the window and he became wreckless.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #59
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Crolla entered the ring looking like it was going to be a stroll in the park and I thought it would be, to be honest.

But like many of you have already said, the Gallagher fighters seem to be just one-dimensional, rely on pressure and attrition with little in the way of technique.

Crolla just walked forward with the ear muffs on and was open to the angles all night. The stoppage was crap, but it would have happened anyhow.
How do you work that out, he got hurt twice in the fight and looked to get his bearings back after he turned Matthews off the ropes, but then it got stopped, Crolla was landing 3 punches to every 1 of Matthews, hurting him to the body.

I think Crolla would've stopped Derry in the next round TBH.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:36 AM   #60
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
How do you work that out, he got hurt twice in the fight and looked to get his bearings back after he turned Matthews off the ropes, but then it got stopped, Crolla was landing 3 punches to every 1 of Matthews, hurting him to the body.

I think Crolla would've stopped Derry in the next round TBH.
I think it was still a 50-50 fight. Derry was tiring and getting hurt, Crolla was getting more ragged and could clearly be wobbled. It was shaping up to be a thrilling battle and the stoppage completely ruined it. It took a lot of the shine off of Derry's excellent showing.
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum