Loses to Cotto - Jail - Retires 1 1.02%
Finally takes on a challenge and loses (Paq/Martinez) 17 17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #151
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather - How will it end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
I think he'll retire undefeated after a couple more fights - probably Alvarez/Berto/Khan/Kirkland depending on how there careers pan out the next couple of years.

If we are lucky we'll get the Pacquaio fight when one or both are very close to the end of their careers and have slipped a fair bit (by their standards). Martinez won't happen.

On the fantasy scale i'd have him around the 50 mark (if he beats Pacquaio), to many guys from days gone by have much better records and better wins and I can't see him catching them now.

Great fighter but didn't challenge himself enough to make a big leap in the fantasy leagues P4P wise. Not that he should complain, that's a good spot, he's made lots of money and he hasn't suffered any prolonged beatings.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
this is what will happen to flloyd.

he has a serious gambling oproblem and he is a complete ****wit so will blow all his money and he will have to keep on fighting when it is gone. so in 4 years when he is skint he will have to fight again and so on. and at some point he wont be able to call the shots and he will get beaten by a young up and coming fighter.

he wont be able to pick and choose he will have a young hungry monster forced upon him and then we see him get his arse kicked and then we see if he has heart and bravery
or this.

Ultimately it comes down to this:

What does he value more?

Money or his '0'.

Not sure I know the answer tbh.

Last edited by Lilo; 04-20-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Lilo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #152
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1534

I don't know enough about the old timers to give an accurate assessment.

What I would say,,,, Floyd is one of the best fighters I've ever seen live. *One thing that does amaze me is the Martinez factor.

Since when did he become the gatekeeper to greatness? He's a middleweight for Christ sake.
macho_grande is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #153
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
I don't know enough about the old timers to give an accurate assessment.

What I would say,,,, Floyd is one of the best fighters I've ever seen live. *One thing that does amaze me is the Martinez factor.

Since when did he become the gatekeeper to greatness? He's a middleweight for Christ sake.
I agree PBF's greatness is not to be determined by winning the Middleweight title. Frankly the way people talk you would think Pacman was better than the likes of Arguello, Pryor, Sanchez, Azumah Nelson and Pernell Whittaker which any sincere assessment is clearly not the case.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #154
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I know what Cotto did wrong. It's because he simply isn't good enough. He's always had flaws. I love him and he's class, but not that class IMO.
I know exactly what he did wrong as we'll. I love him as well I really do and have always done. Ultimately it displays a defect in ring generalship. I actually believe both his losses to date could have been avoided.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #155
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He just not that good a ring general IMO Olu, and can be dissuaded from co distantly plowing forward post-140 (the big change happened when he was forced to adjust in the Mosley fight IMO) and Cotto has appeared a jack-of-all-trades master of none since. He knows what he needs to do, but never looks truly comfortable when boxing his man.

Under pressure he unravels. His skin isn't great either, which can hamper his game as well. He is very good, don't get me wrong, just doesn't have that level to his game IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #156
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He just not that good a ring general IMO Olu, and can be dissuaded from co distantly plowing forward post-140 (the big change happened when he was forced to adjust in the Mosley fight IMO) and Cotto has appeared a jack-of-all-trades master of none since. He knows what he needs to do, but never looks truly comfortable when boxing his man.

Under pressure he unravels. His skin isn't great either, which can hamper his game as well. He is very good, don't get me wrong, just doesn't have that level to his game IMO.
I have my suspicion about the tactics they will employ against PBF. Unfortunately for them it's not going to work.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #157
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Do you think they'll try and make Floyd lead?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #158
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Well, we would have said Roy Jones would never be beaten and look at him now.

Mayweather is arrogant enough to fight on until he is old enough to get beaten. The good thing about Floyd is that he is fundamentally sound. Much more fundamentally sound than Roy. His chin is also much better. HOWEVER, Floyd relies on reflexes to pull back from punches sometimes and to move out of the way. That will start to go in the next few years and he will start getting caught more. If someone like Canelo Alvarez or Martinez had a free shot on his chin, I could see Floyd taking a 10 count so it's probably likely that he takes a defeat in the long run. How he reacts to it will be interesting.
lirva is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #159
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

When did Roy ever get hurt in his prime? He was knocked down by Lou Del Valle but that was it as far as I can remember.

Roys legs were totally gone post-Ruiz. I don't think anything since then is indicative of his chin anywhere near his best.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #160
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
When did Roy ever get hurt in his prime? He was knocked down by Lou Del Valle but that was it as far as I can remember.

Roys legs were totally gone post-Ruiz. I don't think anything since then is indicative of his chin anywhere near his best.
Well he never really took a full blooded punch from a puncher in his prime as far as I recall.

We got to see Mayweather take a flush right hand from Mosley, (who was banging people out at 154).

Although I agree that losing all the weight post Ruiz killed Roys career. he was too afraid to fight big heavyweights.
lirva is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #161
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF7XnoILVU[/ame]

This is a good video, watch it in full.

But i like the bit at 4min 30sec aprox, listen to the passion in Jim Lampley when he is speaking about...."Roy Jones never being asked by his corner to win rounds with urgency"......and then afew second later, when Roy Jones launches his final big attack..? possibly of his career as RJ..? Prime Roy Jones Junior.

"Roy Jones reaching deep! Trying to find the greatness..! That he needs to hold onto! NOW! combinations begin to flow! NOW Roy Jones turned into R.J!!!!"
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #162
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Do you think they'll try and make Floyd lead?
Won't surprise me at all if they did. They probably think Cotto's performance against Mosley is the way to go. I think the only benefit of that approach is he might not get stopped earlier. There are 3 scenarios I see with 2 of them being Cotto gets stopped and the 3rd he quits. I don't see a scenario for him to win.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #163
Spearmint Rhino
Belt holder
ESB Addict

@ Lirva

Who has Shane ever banged out at 154 that was any good?
Spearmint Rhino is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #164
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
@ Lirva

Who has Shane ever banged out at 154 that was any good?
grow up mate
lirva is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #165
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Vargas
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum