Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #91
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Joe Gallagher dangerous....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOM5153 View Post
Could not agree more with Arnie's final statement about others finally working out the Gallagher style of fighting. Before Murray was decimated by Mitchell it looked as if the Gallagher style of fighting was going to rule supreme at domestic level for the unforseable future. Gallaghers fighters simply didnt lose at domestic level although it never looked like something that would translate to world level boxing. Now even at domestic level his fighters are getting found out one by one, i just hope Scott Quigg jumps ship before he becomes another face first Margarito clone. However maybe im giving a bit too much credit towards Gallagher because although Margo is limited he does attempt to protect his face at times, Gallagher fighters seem to just boar forward until the opponent falls down or they fall down themselves.
Yeah agreed, I'd be interested to see the list of opponents in that undefeated streak.

If you look at the guys his boys have lost to domestically there our better boxers domestically. Guys who can throw the spectacular punches and have good power and ability. People that can exploit the bully boy style.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #92
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Yeah agreed, I'd be interested to see the list of opponents in that undefeated streak.

If you look at the guys his boys have lost to domestically there our better boxers domestically. Guys who can throw the spectacular punches and have good power and ability. People that can exploit the bully boy style.
I would like to see that list as well, ive given Gallagher allot of respect in the past for the condition he gets his fighters in but that really isnt enough now. Surely he isnt too ignorant to notice that his "style" of fighting has been found out and it is now time to start implementing defensive moves into his fighters repertoire. His style is all well and good when the opponent cannot hurt his fighters as featherfisted guys just get overwhelmed and runover, it is like you state when his guys meet other fighters with power and decent footwork it all but over.

I fear for Quigg against Munroe i really do, that is one featherfisted superbantam weight you cant overpower or runover. I initialy thought that Quigg would win that one, now i think Munroe is going to use his underated skills and his bullish strength at the weight to utterly bully Quigg on the inside.
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #93
lirva
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'm not sure if Gallagher has ever heard of the punch called the uppercut.
lirva is online now  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #94
Lance
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I predict a lot of Gallaghers fighters will finally see him for what he is and that's a good conditioner and a crap coach, the rumour is Scott Quigg's not been happy for a while
Lance is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #95
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
I predict a lot of Gallaghers fighters will finally see him for what he is and that's a good conditioner and a crap coach, the rumour is Scott Quigg's not been happy for a while
Old 04-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #96
Tommy Bannister
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

In a word YES
Tommy Bannister is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #97
richard mossley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirva View Post
I'm not sure if Gallagher has ever heard of the punch called the uppercut.

What is his background in boxing?

Its here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ])
richard mossley is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #98
boxing_source
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Joe Gallagher needs to quit as a trainer and just become a strength and conditioning coach.
boxing_source is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #99
Lance
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing_source View Post
Joe Gallagher needs to quit as a trainer and just become a strength and conditioning coach.
Lance is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #100
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxing_source View Post
I don't think that's true at all. He used to do more subtle stuff, it's just in recent years he's gotten obsessed with making all his fighters go head first into war.

Look at Mitchell-Murray: he assumed Mitchell wouldn't be able to handle the pressure and wouldn't be able to hurt Murray. He did the same with Matthews.

ALL of his fighters are suckers for the uppercut, to a ridiculous extent. It's what tooled Murray and it's what kept tooling Crolla.

He needs to reconsider his tactics, maybe work with a few different guys to expand his own repertoire. He's not a lost cause, but he needs to rearrange what he's teaching.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #101
roe

vCash:

Harsh thread IMO.

But I respect many of you guys' opinions.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #102
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Your right Roe, i rated Joe a long while back and i have no right to question him as a man when i don't know him but i do feel he's not evolved as a trainer the way he should have. I think the winning and the streak maybe lost him and his teams focus.

With success comes higher expectations, I do feel though that this 'Manchester style' has spread across gym. It's a style that reaps rewards domestically but if you have any want to make it to higher level or have longevity in sport this style has to be left behind. Sadly i look at John Murray a guy i watched win WBC Youth title and thought would go on to win a version of world title to a guy just bullying his domestic foes physically then on european stage.

I found it sad how John didn't improve technically, I thought it was John's mentality and finding it to easy that was the problem but it looks like it's the 'formula'. He's not the only coach to like a set style but i think the success has come at a cost for his and his fighters development.

A short sighted training regime that really should of had a long term feel to it. That being said if Crolla won with ease last night i think things would be a lot different but i think it's worrying as TS has addressed that this style is being used in each fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum