Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Harvin Magler

vCash: 500
Default Khan's Move to the States

Hi Guys,

I was debating with a friend the other day why Khan relocated to the States. Do you think it was prompted by commercial gain, or was it because of the abuse he was receiving in Britain?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this

Last edited by Harvin Magler; 04-26-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Harvin Magler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664
Default Re: Khan's Move to the States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvin Magler View Post
Hi Guys,

I was debating with a friend the other day why Khan relocated to the States. Do you think it was prompted by commercial gain, or was it because of the abuse he was receiving in Britain?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this
For the quality sparring
icemax is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Bit of everything really.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Bit of both really I'd say, not so much abuse but just lack of support. But his flashy speed style and inability to avoid tear ups was always going to enamour him to the Yanks so for that reason alone, it was a smart move by him.

He's best just staying there to fight now IMO. His last 'Homecoming' went down like a lead balloon and, although I think he'd win, I doubt he'd take the risk of a Brook fight back home in England as an introduction to the 147 division.

The only way I could see him coming back is, as its a bit of a topic at the moment, he was to be picked up by a terrestrial channel as he is 1 of maybe 2 boxers in the country now who have transcended the sport in one way or another. He would be a very popular hit on the TV because casual fans know of him but I don't think it will ever happen. It's much easier and more lucrative for him Stateside.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Yet he can't draw for shit in the US... that's the real reason why he fought Peterson in DC.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Freddie Roach. Roach isn't just a trainer, but a promotional icon. He can also get better sparring, bigger fights etc.
Not to mention that America is still the centre of the boxing universe in terms of spinning money. Over there he gets to be on ODLH's books and walk around amongst big players, whereas here he'd be doing business in a backroom at Stringfellows with Allegedly.
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Paup snith
P4P most avoided champ
ESB Jr Member

For the tacos man
Paup snith is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
iron_chin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Bit of both really I'd say, not so much abuse but just lack of support. But his flashy speed style and inability to avoid tear ups was always going to enamour him to the Yanks so for that reason alone, it was a smart move by him.

He's best just staying there to fight now IMO. His last 'Homecoming' went down like a lead balloon and, although I think he'd win, I doubt he'd take the risk of a Brook fight back home in England as an introduction to the 147 division.

The only way I could see him coming back is, as its a bit of a topic at the moment, he was to be picked up by a terrestrial channel as he is 1 of maybe 2 boxers in the country now who have transcended the sport in one way or another. He would be a very popular hit on the TV because casual fans know of him but I don't think it will ever happen. It's much easier and more lucrative for him Stateside.
apart from the **** up with the tv, id say 17000 in the men wasnt a bad homecoming.
iron_chin is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
iron_chin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Yet he can't draw for shit in the US... that's the real reason why he fought Peterson in DC.
has been steadily improving, paulie and maidana fights were small numbers, but peterson was 10, 000 with no giveaways and am expecting the same for this one. no fighter apart from floyd cotto and pac draw in the states, id say his figures aint bad.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_chin View Post
has been steadily improving, paulie and maidana fights were small numbers, but peterson was 10, 000 with no giveaways and am expecting the same for this one. no fighter apart from floyd cotto and pac draw in the states, id say his figures aint bad.
Of which none of those were for Khan. Did you just bypass the bit above where I said it was because of Peterson they put it in DC?

Also, Ward and Alexander are draws in their hometowns. Alexander in particular.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
iron_chin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

ward isnt a draw at all his biggest draw was 8500 for kessler i think, alexander is a good draw in st louis i forgot bout him, and peterson is an unknown, 10, 000 tickets were NOT sold because of peterson i can assure you. for a british asian to go over there in a not so exciting division and sell as many tickets as he does is not bad trust me, personally his last fight should have been in canada though, huge demand for him over there and he probably wouldnt have got jobbed.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
ward isnt a draw at all his biggest draw was 8500 for kessler i think, alexander is a good draw in st louis i forgot bout him, and peterson is an unknown, 10, 000 tickets were NOT sold because of peterson i can assure you. for a british asian to go over there in a not so exciting division and sell as many tickets as he does is not bad trust me, personally his last fight should have been in canada though, huge demand for him over there and he probably wouldnt have got jobbed.
Where do you get this shit, you mong.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Where do you get this shit, you mong.
I'd put the cunt on ignore but he cracks me up sometimes
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
iron_chin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

lol, u think khan cant draw in canada> tim bradley went there and he got a 5000, there is a huge khan following there among the ****stani commuinity, more because the majority over there share the same cast/ area of ****stan as khan u mongs, khan would do good nmbers there i can garuntee it.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
lol, u think khan cant draw in canada> tim bradley went there and he got a 5000, there is a huge khan following there among the ****stani commuinity, more because the majority over there share the same cast/ area of ****stan as khan u mongs, khan would do good nmbers there i can garuntee it.

You do realise Andrade-Tsypko was co-main event in an eliminator, Diacanou and Pier Olivier Cote were all on he undercard

You think Bradders-Holt actually helped sell any tickets?
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum