Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Stovepipe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 975
Default What happened to Korobov?

Dunkin is the manager. He was getting some hype a few years back and still fights D level fighters. Why?
Stovepipe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,474
vCash: 2000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

He stopped looking as impressive.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Bobby Heenan
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 1333
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

funny i see this thread....i was asking myself this same question the other day....i remember back in 09 i went out to the cotto/pac fight(had gone out for pac/hatton too)....and me and my boy wanted to see korobov cause wed heard alot of good things about him....he was on everyones hot prospect list... and he had ko'd a guy earlier in the year in may on the hatton/pac undercard...and we had missed it cause we didnt go in that early(it was a 4 rounder)...so we went in earlier than we usually do to see him....ho hum 6 round decision he won......

im looking at his boxrec now and seeing hes just been ho hum UD'ing alot of guys he should probably be plowing through
Bobby Heenan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #4
Max Banjo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 3325
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Heenan View Post
funny i see this thread....i was asking myself this same question the other day....i remember back in 09 i went out to the cotto/pac fight(had gone out for pac/hatton too)....and me and my boy wanted to see korobov cause wed heard alot of good things about him....he was on everyones hot prospect list... and he had ko'd a guy earlier in the year in may on the hatton/pac undercard...and we had missed it cause we didnt go in that early(it was a 4 rounder)...so we went in earlier than we usually do to see him....ho hum 6 round decision he won......

im looking at his boxrec now and seeing hes just been ho hum UD'ing alot of guys he should probably be plowing through
I saw him at Cotto-Jennings and wasn't really impressed by him....
Max Banjo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Stovepipe
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 975
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He stopped looking as impressive.
Interesting. What will they do with him then? Maybe Sturm will call him out in that case?
Stovepipe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
p.falk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,187
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Korobov was supposed to be on the undercard of Rios v Gamboa.
It had been mentioned prior to Gamboa dropping off of the card.
But then nothing happened.
p.falk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Eastcoast
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,870
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

He gave an interview a few months ago, this is supposed to be the year he steps up in competition, I think he'll be on the Pac-Bradely card. He's had to deal with some injuries and changed trainers a few times, but everything's looking settled now. Could still pan out as a great MW.
Eastcoast is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 120,474
vCash: 2000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovepipe View Post
Interesting. What will they do with him then? Maybe Sturm will call him out in that case?
Based on Sturm vs. Zbik and my last few times seeing Korobov, he gets stopped if he steps up to the champ.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 943
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

I hope he gets back on track again. He has incredible potential.
znaak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.falk View Post
Korobov was supposed to be on the undercard of Rios v Gamboa.
It had been mentioned prior to Gamboa dropping off of the card.
But then nothing happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
He gave an interview a few months ago, this is supposed to be the year he steps up in competition, I think he'll be on the Pac-Bradely card. He's had to deal with some injuries and changed trainers a few times, but everything's looking settled now. Could still pan out as a great MW.
Ya he was planning on fighting on both those undercards then making a serious move. I wonder if Mccallum is still training him? Top Rank hasnt done a great job with him imo and the constant change of trainers and what seems to be attempts of American trainers trying to change his style looks to have stalled him a little. When will these guys stick to their own trainers?
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: You hung with me, I'm the Bakersfield Chimp!
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Ya he was planning on fighting on both those undercards then making a serious move. I wonder if Mccallum is still training him? Top Rank hasnt done a great job with him imo and the constant change of trainers and what seems to be attempts of American trainers trying to change his style looks to have stalled him a little. When will these guys stick to their own trainers?
I thought in many instances their promoters (Western) force them to work with American trainers?
Nosbor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
I thought in many instances their promoters (Western) force them to work with American trainers?
They do but guys need to do like Masternak when he told Sauerland he was keeping his trainer Gmitruk or he wouldnt be signing. Wegner is probably the worst trainer at the top of the sport and good for Mateusz for standing up for himself.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
Honor
Bóg i Ojczyzna
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 363
vCash: 642
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Gmitruk is the best Polish trainer atm. Hes very intellectual and reads the ring very well and offers good corner advice.

If I was a boxer, id want him in my team no doubt.
Honor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,415
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honor View Post
Gmitruk is the best Polish trainer atm. Hes very intellectual and reads the ring very well and offers good corner advice.

If I was a boxer, id want him in my team no doubt.
I hold him and Lapin in equally high regard.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Honor
Bóg i Ojczyzna
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 363
vCash: 642
Default Re: What happened to Korobov?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
I hold him and Lapin in equally high regard.
Lapin is a good trainer just not a good coach.. He isn't aggressive enough and doesn't push his fighters enough like Gmitruk. When I watch a Wlodarczyk fight, its very frustrating, cause he has power, chin, technique, defense, but he never opens up. Just a high guard, tough defense, and 1 or 2 punches...Damnit, I wanna see some combinations, more speed, and just him letting his hands go. Then when he goes to the corner I just want to see Lapin yell at him and maybe give him a slap in the face. He taught Diablo a lot in his career but I feel he doesn't push him hard enough cause he can be better than what he is now.
Honor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013