Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Brit Forum Top 100

I love Mares (no homo) but I'd have Moreno ahead of him at this point, slightly though. He beat Vic a lot more convincingly than Abner and even though I had Mares beating Perez, I think Moreno's good wins on the road vs Senchenko X2, the two over Cermeno as well as what had been previously considered good opponents in De la Mora & Parra are a bit better than what Mares has as of yet.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Diamante

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I love Mares (no homo) but I'd have Moreno ahead of him at this point, slightly though. He beat Vic a lot more convincingly than Abner and even though I had Mares beating Perez, I think Moreno's good wins on the road vs Senchenko X2, the two over Cermeno as well as what had been previously considered good opponents in De la Mora & Parra are a bit better than what Mares has as of yet.
Parra wasn't considered a good opponent at all, he was - and still is - well and truly shot. I don't think Moreno's record is superior at all to be honest, having close shaves twice with Cermeno and once with Sydorenko isn't all that impressive to me in a P4P sense. Personally I think the clear win against Agbeko is enough to merit a place above for Mares. That's just my opinion though. Moreno is a vastly superior fighter now than he was then though, if you put this version of Chemito in those fights instead of the previous model I have no doubt he'd have won an awful lot more convincingly.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamante View Post
Parra wasn't considered a good opponent at all, he was - and still is - well and truly shot. I don't think Moreno's record is superior at all to be honest, having close shaves twice with Cermeno and once with Sydorenko isn't all that impressive to me in a P4P sense. Personally I think the clear win against Agbeko is enough to merit a place above for Mares. That's just my opinion though. Moreno is a vastly superior fighter now than he was then though, if you put this version of Chemito in those fights instead of the previous model I have no doubt he'd have won an awful lot more convincingly.
As much as I love Chemito, I have to agree with all of this.

You can Argue either way who should be higher ranked, but for me Mares just squeaks ahead IMO.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #19
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamante View Post
I disagree as of this moment. I have high hopes for Mares and think he will end up top 5 p4p in the near future because he always looks to take on the best but right now, I think those wins I stated before (the Sydorenko/Cermeno fights were close but clear wins for me) give Moreno a bit more depth and merit him being above Abner. All my opinion though, in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #20
Diamante

vCash:

Monshipour was probably a better win than Parra, in fact. Even still it wasn't a good look for Moreno to once again have such a close fight, especially against a semi-retired Mahyar.

It's very close of course, I just don't particularly rate some of Moreno's wins/performances from a few years ago as highly as others do. I think he was very unimpressive up until the last year or so.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:29 AM   #21
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

Moreno also has Tomas Rojas and Rolly Matsushita on his record, two decent wins at the time.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
Diamante

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
Moreno also has Tomas Rojas and Rolly Matsushita on his record, two decent wins at the time.
That was quite a time before Rojas kicked on for it to be that good of a win, imo. That was at a time where Gusano had yet to record even one notable victory(unless you count Castro, and that could only really be considered notable at the time due to Rojas' lowly standing I suppose) and he was at that ''one of the best journeymen in the sport'' phase. It was only around 2009 that he established himself as a real world-level fighter I think. Matsushita was an alright win too, but nothing too special. He had lost to dudes that were inferior to Moreno before, though he was on a decent run going in to that IIRC.

As I say though, it's very, very close and just a matter of opinion. I only have them one spot apart myself, just playing devil's advocate for the sake of it.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
Diamante

vCash:

1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Manny Pacquiao
3. Juan Manuel Marquez
4. Nonito Donaire
5. Andre Ward
6. Wladimir Klitschko
7. Sergio Martinez
8. Tim Bradley
9. Yuriorkis Gamboa
10. Abner Mares
11. Anselmo Moreno
12. Miguel Cotto
13. Toshiaki Nishioka
14. Bernard Hopkins
15. Lucian Bute
16. Orlando Salido
17. Vitali Klitschko
18. Roman Gonzalez
19. Yoan Pablo Hernandez
20. Cristian Mijares ()

That's just off the top of my head how I'd have it. I'll probably start to pick it apart myself after about 5 minutes though.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum