Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 04-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default A few thoughts on Seth Mitchell

- He's only been a pro for four years and had 26 fights. When Wlad had 24 fights, he fought Ross Purrity years before his peak and was stopped. Whilst Seth Mitchell is a good prospect, realistically, he needs to stay at this level and mature as a fighter. He's not even had 100 rounds as a pro yet and as an amateur, he only had 10 fights. He's a novice who needs to be taken slowly.

- In the RBR last night, people were saying "Wlad would smash him to pieces". That's true but why would anyone bring up that point? It'd be like saying "Mike Alvarado struggled against Breidis Prescott, therefore JMM would destroy him". This is part of the problem with the heavyweight division. Guys get rushed into fights before they're ready for them. They get battered and it ruins their career. I hope Mitchell is allowed to mature and gain experience before a world title fight.

- Despite what I've said there, I did think there were some positives. I think Mitchell looks incredibly strong. He's around 240lbs, which isn't huge by todays standards, but I think he is, by far, the strongest heavyweight around today. Aside from that, his bodywork was ****ing vicious and that's something I'm really pleased to see. The only heavyweight who goes to the body well is Chisora but I'd say Mitchell has better bodywork.

There are lots of positives about Mitchell but those who rate him highly or don't rate him at all, should remember something: He's just a prospect. He's entertaining and if he can be great for the division but right now, he's a long way away from his full potential. Let's see him mature and then see how he fares against the divisions elite.
Jack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
FloydPatterson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 976
Default Re: A few thoughts on Seth Mitchell

Only two things worry me about mitchell.

1. He's a sucker for a right hand, needs to work on defense.
2. Age, the guy is like 29 years old or something.
FloydPatterson is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Right now, people can't help but compare an up-and-comer with the champ.

That's the problem with the division right now as the Klits have already taken everyone out.

I believe 2 more fights, then a string of top-10 guys will help.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 835

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
- He's only been a pro for four years and had 26 fights. When Wlad had 24 fights, he fought Ross Purrity years before his peak and was stopped. Whilst Seth Mitchell is a good prospect, realistically, he needs to stay at this level and mature as a fighter. He's not even had 100 rounds as a pro yet and as an amateur, he only had 10 fights. He's a novice who needs to be taken slowly.

- In the RBR last night, people were saying "Wlad would smash him to pieces". That's true but why would anyone bring up that point? It'd be like saying "Mike Alvarado struggled against Breidis Prescott, therefore JMM would destroy him". This is part of the problem with the heavyweight division. Guys get rushed into fights before they're ready for them. They get battered and it ruins their career. I hope Mitchell is allowed to mature and gain experience before a world title fight.

- Despite what I've said there, I did think there were some positives. I think Mitchell looks incredibly strong. He's around 240lbs, which isn't huge by todays standards, but I think he is, by far, the strongest heavyweight around today. Aside from that, his bodywork was ****ing vicious and that's something I'm really pleased to see. The only heavyweight who goes to the body well is Chisora but I'd say Mitchell has better bodywork.

There are lots of positives about Mitchell but those who rate him highly or don't rate him at all, should remember something: He's just a prospect. He's entertaining and if he can be great for the division but right now, he's a long way away from his full potential. Let's see him mature and then see how he fares against the divisions elite.
i fully agree and thats why i didnt really rag on Povetkin for not taking the fight with Wlad

why rush in and get pummeled it really served a guy like Michael Grant

Mitchell isnt exactly young but by HWT standards he has years if he takes care of himself

Last night we saw holes in his defense and that he was hurt pretty good for the first time ive seen

but i like a lot of what he has to offer

plenty of heart and didnt go down, stiff hard jab, pretty good right, great body work not something you see from a new to boxing guy

best of all he has a left hook and thats no easy punch for a new late starter to be good at

plus he is dangerous when hurt by the end of round 1 he started hitting Witherspoon

he should face guys on the level of Witherspoon til he can win with less trouble

however he needs to go 10 tough rounds, i think he may be a Lemiux Rubio waiting to happen where a guy survives and out lasts

plus we need to know more about his strategy condition and ring IQ going 2 or 3 rounds doesnt do that

Ultimately when Vitali retires in a yr that will remove a major obstacle

in a couple of fights he may be ready for Povetkin who knows
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

His defense needs some work, he must work on his footwork and head movement.I agree he is strong and a big heart,the way he managed to survive the 1st round was incredible.But if he was fighting a good finisher last night he wouldn't survived the 1st rd.
He loses today against Adamek,Arreola, Solis.
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydPatterson View Post

29 isn't old for a heavyweight, especially one who turned pro four years ago. You'd expect Mitchell to reach his prime in about 2 or 3 more years, providing it's not beaten out of him before then.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
29 isn't old for a heavyweight, especially one who turned pro four years ago. You'd expect Mitchell to reach his prime in about 2 or 3 more years, providing it's not beaten out of him before then.
And heavyweights tend to mature late.

Only exceptions are few like Tyson, and they flared out early.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cubano View Post
His defense needs some work, he must work on his footwork and head movement.I agree he is strong and a big heart,the way he managed to survive the 1st round was incredible.But if he was fighting a good finisher last night he wouldn't survived the 1st rd.
He loses today against Adamek,Arreola, Solis.
I think he'd probably stop Adamek but even so, it's a fight he shouldn't be taking. Like you said, he has some holes in his game and he needs to work on them. He should be in the gym as much as possible, get as much sparring as possible and try to improve on any negatives he has. His body movement needs improving, he needs to fix his defence and improve his footwork. When he's done that, then I'll think he'll be ready for a higher calibre of opposition. Even though he may beat some top tier heavyweights right now, like Adamek, I don't want to see him rushed.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydPatterson View Post

1. His defence is something that can be worked on over time, he didnt get nailed again with the right hand after the 1st round because adjustments were made.
2. 29yrs old really isnt too bad for a heavyweight, its not as if he's been boxing for a long time so he has very little in wear and tear.
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Joe_MacKenzie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 325

Seth Mitchell turns 30 in a few weeks.

He looked good against clubfighters like Witherspoon and faded, inactive feather-fisted guys like Timur.

I'd like to see him in with someone decent like Chagaev, Arreola, Kevin Johnson, Solis, or Chisora.
Joe_MacKenzie is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
dbouziane
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

fair play, jack

he has tools you can't teach and there is a lot of room for improvement on the things that can be taught. he's never going to see that short right coming over his shoulder if gets in close and gets low like that. movement, pulling straight back after his jab with his chin out...but he obviously has heart and athleticism. kept his head and came back after being rocked and has some serious power.

i agree, that was some impressive body work. we'll see where he goes from here.
dbouziane is offline  Top
Old 04-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
gorgse
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1022

He need to experience some wars and learn how to deal with adversity. Up to this point none of his opponents threw anything at him. He was tagged by Witherspoon last night and dropped his hands and paniced. A seasoned pro either fires back, covers up and evades, or cliches when getting tagged. Mitchell moved backwards and drop him guard. He panicked. He need to be more conferrable with getting hit and react appropriately.
gorgse is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum