Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Does anyone know? I understand chips and stuff but they are a veg so should be good?
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,744
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

They're great for carb loading!
Flexb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Ahurath
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 235
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

They aren't bad at all where had you heard all that nonesense?


It's a great carb source.
Ahurath is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Little_Mac
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 416
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Of the vegetables, they're the worst because of the level of starch they have.

But unless you're a pro or going to the ****ing Olympics or some shit, don't worry that much about it. Enjoy your baked potato.
Little_Mac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

They aren't bad.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #6
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 75
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

They're preferred as far as I've heard. Starchy yes but great in moderation for the amateur
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

They are widely viewed as the worst veg. Some people go to the extremes of saying you might aswell eat a bag of sugar the insulin spike will be the same.
Don't get why
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
They are widely viewed as the worst veg. Some people go to the extremes of saying you might aswell eat a bag of sugar the insulin spike will be the same.
Don't get why
Because most people are idiots.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: on the laptop in notts england
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

there a good belly filler & good for a balanced diet because there about 60% water,,
123ko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
They are widely viewed as the worst veg. Some people go to the extremes of saying you might aswell eat a bag of sugar the insulin spike will be the same.
Don't get why
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Because most people are idiots.
Theres your answer.
Potatoes aren't bad at all, the only reason I could think that people would say they are bad is because compared to other vegetables, they are more calorically dense.
Fredd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Staninator
Honor & Loyalty...
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Potatoes consist of simple carbs. Simple carbs are like sugars... they're digested immediately. Although it is much better to consume complex carbs simple carbs are good before a workout or right after. I wouldn't devour potatoes constantly but eat them sparingly throughout the week and balance your diet. Do eat more complex carbs such as oatmeal and whole grains as they digest much slower and help maintain energy levels with better consistency.
Staninator is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 944
vCash: 95
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Even Mayweather eats fast food..
Juxhin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #13
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Theres your answer.
Potatoes aren't bad at all, the only reason I could think that people would say they are bad is because compared to other vegetables, they are more calorically dense.
They are one of the highest GI foods you can eat, it is like eating white sugar.
Not necessarily bad, there is a time and a place for everything
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
They are one of the highest GI foods you can eat, it is like eating white sugar.
Not necessarily bad, there is a time and a place for everything
You do understand that the glycemic index will have absolutely no relevance to most people, right?

Not to mention that the initial statement was bullshit anyway.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Vielle
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
vCash: 500
Default Re: Why are Potatoes considered bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staninator View Post
Potatoes consist of simple carbs. Simple carbs are like sugars... they're digested immediately. Although it is much better to consume complex carbs simple carbs are good before a workout or right after. I wouldn't devour potatoes constantly but eat them sparingly throughout the week and balance your diet. Do eat more complex carbs such as oatmeal and whole grains as they digest much slower and help maintain energy levels with better consistency.
Sorry to say but you are wrong.

What you mean by "simple carbs" refers to monosaccharides. Potatoes do not consist of monosaccharides (i.e. glucose, fructose) but of starches (polysaccharides) as have been mentioned earlier here.

Whole grains, preferably organic, are a good source.
Vielle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013