Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #46
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingInsider View Post
I was 17, living in Palmdale California. Had an amatuer fight in the Greater L.A. area. i was a young punk, sporting a 25-2 record.

I remember vividly stepping in the ring, and the 1st round. The 2nd round changed my life forever.

About 20 to 30 seconds into the 2nd round, I was hit with a right hand. I woke up that night in the hospital; I had my Orbital Bone broke, , and a bone chip punctured my left eye.

I had a 57 hour surgery to remove the bone chip from my eye, ending my boxing career. From there, I got into the business / training side of boxing.

Since they day in 1993, til present day I have had 31 different surgeries to correct the vision in my left eye.
Rotten break, BI. A million to one shot
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #47
cincyjacket
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 248
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

I used to box. Early on, I was sparring with my friend and hit him clean on the chin with an overhead right. It was my first time knocking someone out. My first instinct was to check on him and see if he was all right.

After that, I realized that I don't have the desire to intentionally hurt someone in the name of sport.
cincyjacket is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #48
judgeJAB
Skills to pay the bills!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 875
vCash: 87
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingInsider View Post
I was 17, living in Palmdale California. Had an amatuer fight in the Greater L.A. area. i was a young punk, sporting a 25-2 record.

I remember vividly stepping in the ring, and the 1st round. The 2nd round changed my life forever.

About 20 to 30 seconds into the 2nd round, I was hit with a right hand. I woke up that night in the hospital; I had my Orbital Bone broke, , and a bone chip punctured my left eye.

I had a 57 hour surgery to remove the bone chip from my eye, ending my boxing career. From there, I got into the business / training side of boxing.

Since they day in 1993, til present day I have had 31 different surgeries to correct the vision in my left eye.


That is terrible man tough to hear something like that
judgeJAB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #49
pugilistspecialist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjacket View Post
I used to box. Early on, I was sparring with my friend and hit him clean on the chin with an overhead right. It was my first time knocking someone out. My first instinct was to check on him and see if he was all right.

After that, I realized that I don't have the desire to intentionally hurt someone in the name of sport.
wow good story, well i suffered from lil man syndrome....everyone wanted to pick on me cuz i was smaller or could pull they girl....so i had to learn how to kick ass..I've got friends that feel that way
pugilistspecialist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #50
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Lion's Den
Posts: 3,285
vCash: 1537
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Sugar Ray Robinson showed me how to extend my jab by dipping a knee, how to draw a right hand and counter over it . . . and countless other tips and encouragement.

I tried to emulate everything about him, from what he wore in the gym to his stance in the ring. But it did me no more good than trying to hit home runs copying Ted Williams stance. And, as far as his gym gear, no matter how I pulled and tugged, it never looked quite the same on me.

Once after sparring a round, I looked down and saw Robinson at ringside. He gave me an approving nod. I couldn't have been prouder if I'd won a title.

Love it, top story JG.

An approving nod from Sugar Ray...must of been unreal.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #51
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 75
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

My first time sparring, I had no idea what to expect.

The dude I was supposed to spar didn't show up, so I wound up in with a visiting coach. He was 50 yrs old, so I thought I would be OK.

The idea was to just in there and work the jab/grab drill. I catch your jab, you catch mine. My Coach told me jabs only! Nothing else.

I learned that 3 mins can be an eternity. Every jab I threw he nailed me with a counter right hand over top. (so much for jab only!) That guy handled me easily. It was terrible..

Second round I was in with a new guy (who I found out later has been training for 10 years! ****ing liars!). It was pretty even until he caught me...then I came back with a wild overhand right, spun his headgear around and turned his legs to jello.

Third round I was back in with the visiting coach. He beat my ass some more, but I was less nervous and managed to land a few shots, including a surprise uppercut.
Slacker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 AM   #52
pugilistspecialist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
Love it, top story JG.

An approving nod from Sugar Ray...must of been unreal.
WOW
pugilistspecialist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #53
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 931
vCash: 2123
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

I've never been in a fight but i've been to the gym and sparred a couple of rounds and boxing is definitely one of the toughest sports out theres. people probably think 4 3 minute rounds isn't alot but when you're the one in the ring and gettting punched it seems like a long time thats why i respect anyone who will step into a ring
alakran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #54
pugilistspecialist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alakran View Post
I've never been in a fight but i've been to the gym and sparred a couple of rounds and boxing is definitely one of the toughest sports out theres. people probably think 4 3 minute rounds isn't alot but when you're the one in the ring and gettting punched it seems like a long time thats why i respect anyone who will step into a ring

notice how alot of the internet boxers aint left a comment on here...no coincidence
pugilistspecialist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 AM   #55
BoxingInsider
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dirty South the ATL Georgia baby
Posts: 343
vCash: 1666
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugilistspecialist View Post
damn did you keep fighting afterwards

Nope, that was my fighting career....Now ima cutman and trainer. Wish i could get back in the ring, one more time...but my vision is more important than boxing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeJAB View Post
That is terrible man tough to hear something like that
It sucks, when I see people talk crap about boxers, not knowing what they go through, and how one punch can alter the boxer's life.

Until you walk in their shoes, don't second guess their actions in or out of the ring
BoxingInsider is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #56
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 185
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugilistspecialist View Post
notice how alot of the internet boxers aint left a comment on here...no coincidence
I should clarify, I have never been in an "officially sanctioned" match either - ammy, or professional. . .

I have just done sparring, and "unofficial" tournaments with other local gyms. . .

I am pretty much a noob - only been sparring for about a year. . .

I am realistic about my ability (I'm not bad at all) and boxing just being a very passionate hobby for me. . . I started way too late, and just don't have the time, etc. to fully dedicate myself to even attempt a real ammy, or professional career. . I respect boxing (and my health) too much to try to make a go without giving everything to it. . Still not to say I don't train hard when I practice, and I would like to have an amateur fight - at least one. . . but already invested my future in law school. .
king khan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #57
pugilistspecialist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingInsider View Post
Nope, that was my fighting career....Now ima cutman and trainer. Wish i could get back in the ring, one more time...but my vision is more important than boxing!!!


It sucks, when I see people talk crap about boxers, not knowing what they go through, and how one punch can alter the boxer's life.

Until you walk in their shoes, don't second guess their actions in or out of the ring

damn man, thats whatsup ...fighting you are only one champ, honestly I want a stable...how long you been a trainer
pugilistspecialist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #58
BoxingInsider
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dirty South the ATL Georgia baby
Posts: 343
vCash: 1666
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugilistspecialist View Post
damn man, thats whatsup ...fighting you are only one champ, honestly I want a stable...how long you been a trainer
Started in 1995 as a trainer in Georgia. First fighter I worked with (pro-level) was Keith Mcknight (heavyweight from Tennessee; I served as his cutman for the Phil Jackson fight).

Got trained by numerous former boxers in California (Mark Wills, Damion Franklin,etc) on how to work a corner effectively.

Got a big break in life, when a boxing gym opened up 10 minutes from my house. Went in, talked to the owner.....and have been with the gym since 1998.


Best advice i ever got was, don't look for the superstar, or the medal winners...look for the one's fighting with heart & determination. Superstars fade away, heart lasts forever.
BoxingInsider is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #59
pugilistspecialist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,877
vCash: 1000
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingInsider View Post
Started in 1995 as a trainer in Georgia. First fighter I worked with (pro-level) was Keith Mcknight (heavyweight from Tennessee; I served as his cutman for the Phil Jackson fight).

Got trained by numerous former boxers in California (Mark Wills, Damion Franklin,etc) on how to work a corner effectively.

Got a big break in life, when a boxing gym opened up 10 minutes from my house. Went in, talked to the owner.....and have been with the gym since 1998.


Best advice i ever got was, don't look for the superstar, or the medal winners...look for the one's fighting with heart & determination. Superstars fade away, heart lasts forever.
I think McNight fought Mesi or a couple of heavweight and cruiser prospects are you still in GA?
pugilistspecialist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 AM   #60
INSIDER 67
newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Default Re: For anyone who has actually been in the ring share a personal true story!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
I would share a personal story, but it isn't true, so I won't share it
Funny shit!
INSIDER 67 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013