Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
anut
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default frank bruno vs tommy morrison/?????

who wins???????????????
anut is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: frank bruno vs tommy morrison/?????

This is a really good match...an intriguing fight. I pick Bruno because of his effectiveness at using his long, powerful left jab to set up his right hand.

Bruno probably could have kept the power hitting Morrison at bay much in the same way that Lennox Lewis did in 1995. In that fight Lewis's hard left jab was the dominant factor. Bruno could jab pretty well too.

I am talking about the Bruno who kayoed Gerrie Coetzee in 1986. I believe that was Bruno at his career best. On that night he probably would have knocked out Tommy within five rounds.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Tyson 2005
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Don't forget about Tommy's hook

Last edited by amy; 02-22-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Tyson 2005 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

All I know is you can tell the judges not to bother scoring.

Other than that, Frank was a bit of a plodder and I think Tommy would find him and put him out. But I'm only going 60/40 on this because Frank hit like a ton of bricks also. I just think mobility will come into factor here and Tommy gets a slight edge.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

The TM who flopped against Michael Bent suffers a similar kayo loss. Just about any other incarnation of Morrison knocks Bruno out because he was more aggressive and Bruno could be intmidated against a big puncher like the Duke.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 AM   #6
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
All I know is you can tell the judges not to bother scoring.

Other than that, Frank was a bit of a plodder and I think Tommy would find him and put him out. But I'm only going 60/40 on this because Frank hit like a ton of bricks also. I just think mobility will come into factor here and Tommy gets a slight edge.
Good summary. I'd lean towards Morrison too for much the same reason (providing we're talking about the best version here).
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
rendog67
The firestarter
ESB Senior Member

i think bruno controls maybe the first 2 round by keeping tommy off and tying him up when tommy tries to unload, but this will not keep tommy off and bruno's nervous and negative tactics start to fail him and tommy catches him a few times in the 3rd to send out a message, at the start of the 4th bruno fights back but is layed out flat in for a k.o.
rendog67 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #8
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

If Tommy was smart (always a bit variable I'd have to admit) then he'd take a leaf out of the Foreman playbook, stay the **** out of Dodge for several rounds, and try to get Bruno late on when his gas tank was getting low.

If he tries to get into a jabbing contest, gets stuck on the end of Bruno's jab, he'll get his ass handed to him.

On the other hand, if both guys went in with a bombs away mindset this would be pretty damn awesome, all over in about 2-3 rounds, and they'd never find the loser's head.

Last edited by DamonD; 02-20-2008 at 02:21 PM.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
If Tommy was smart (always a bit variable I'd have to admit) then he'd take a leave out of the Foreman playbook, stay the **** out of Dodge for several rounds, and try to get Bruno late on when his gas tank was getting low.

If he tries to get into a jabbing contest, gets stuck on the end of Bruno's jab, he'll get his ass handed to him.

On the other hand, if both guys went in with a bombs away mindset this would be pretty damn awesome, all over in about 2-3 rounds, and they'd never find the loser's head.

Good points.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

Intriguing matchup this.

Either man can end the fight with basically one punch. You have Tommy's left against Frank's right, and both were big punchers.

Neither man was a clean fighter either. Morrison nutted Ken Lakusta something fierce, and Bruno often rabbit punched and sometimes hit low.

I see a tentative start, with both men unwilling to open up too much. Morrison will press the action more, but Bruno will stay behind the jab and hold on in close, with untidy mauling on the inside. I see Bruno catching some hooks, but his chin was (I think) underrated and he'll back off and jab, looking to land the right.

Morrison was an odd cat in some ways. Mercer caught him with some decent punches (but nothing spectacular) and he completely unravelled in that fight.
At some point Bruno is going to land a hard right that will stun Morrison. A follow up barrage of punches, most of which miss, will leave Tommy on the deck, gasping for air.

He gets to his feet but looks wobbly. Frank comes in and prepares to finish matters when Morrison lands a desperation left hook that lands on the point of Bruno's chin, shaking Frank to his boots.
Frank's survival skills were basically nil and he'd lean against the ropes and try to cover up as Morrison starts to tee off. After several unanswered punches, the ref pulls Morrison off the listing Bruno.

Morrison TKO 7.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
joe33

vCash:

Id take tommy as well,BUT was watching big frank against Gerrie Coetzee on youtube,a very dangerous guy with a huge punch,and frank done him in a round,so he could at times start very fast,would be a few knock downs id say,but id go(just) for tommy in about 8
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

neither man was much for taking it, but I think Bruno took it much better than Morrison did. They both had tremendous power, but Frank's punching ability was tested against slightly better fighters. Bruno was also the bigger man, and had the superior boxing ability.

Bruno by TKO between rounds 3-4.
mr. magoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum