Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Cotto gives insight into tactics, Floyd talks preparation, with JMM on Golpe A Golpe

The link to both videos is here. The Floyd interview is done in both Spanish and English with their bilingual broadcaster, and the Cotto interview in Spanish is there as well. Miguel talks about a few things-legacy, career, etc.-but I translated the most relevant boxing-related points here.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

JMM: What did you focus on most in this preparation for confronting Mayweather?

Cotto: We’ve focused on everything, on everything…we’ve seen Mayweather to be very gifted…but not a Mayweather that’s really mean, who likes to fight. As we would say in Puerto Rico, he’s a coward with ability. His abilities have brought him to triumph, have allowed him to surpass the rest, but I have my abilities, and beyond my abilities, I’ve had the work of sacrificing myself in the gym, and in the moment that his abilities abandon him, my work and my sacrifice will lift me to victory.

Announcer Dude: Miguel, I’ve wanted to ask you: We imagine a strategic, calculated fight tomorrow based on the styles. We’ve never seen a boring fight from Miguel Cotto, but Floyd Mayweather, with his boxing based in his legs and backwards motion, could complicate things. How do you, Miguel Cotto, truly imagine the fight?

Cotto: No, I don’t know. If he stays planted in the middle of the ring, it will make my fight easier. If he decides to move, the ring has its dimensions; in any of its sides, he’ll have to deal with a corner at each end. We’ve worked to perfection, in every moment moving towards the corner, how to work him, how to avoid falling into his game, and how to put it in practice as we’ve done for so many weeks in Orlando, with such fervency, here in Las Vegas, we won’t have any reason to lose.

---

WAR COTTO!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Default Re: Cotto gives insight into tactics, Floyd talks preparation, with JMM on Golpe A Go

Oh, you're welcome.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 259
Default Re: Cotto gives insight into tactics, Floyd talks preparation, with JMM on Golpe A Go

I think Miguel is going to let it all hand out in this fight. He is going to apply smart pressure and force him to fight and step out of his comfort zone. The way Miguel spoke in that interview he came off as focused and willing to sacrifice to win. I still think Floyd is the favorite but I expect Cotto to look good in the fight.
ricardinho is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardinho View Post
I think Miguel is going to let it all hand out in this fight. He is going to apply smart pressure and force him to fight and step out of his comfort zone. The way Miguel spoke in that interview he came off as focused and willing to sacrifice to win. I still think Floyd is the favorite but I expect Cotto to look good in the fight.
Just as I see it
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

First off, thanks Bogo.

Second:

Awww man. Cotto actually does have that mentality that Mayweather is "a coward w/ skills". I was hoping that was hyperbole. Stupid mind state IMO.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

jmm a g
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

ty for this btw
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #8
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
First off, thanks Bogo.

Second:

Awww man. Cotto actually does have that mentality that Mayweather is "a coward w/ skills". I was hoping that was hyperbole. Stupid mind state IMO.
cotto a G
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

good stuff. sounds like Cotto has the right gameplan going in.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

I hate how secretive Floyd is about discussing his tactics.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Just as I see it
I Love how Cotto says if Floyd run's that wherever he goes there will be a corner closeby!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #12
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

I think Cotto thinks Floyd is gonna run.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #13
thawk888
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
cotto a G
Easier night for Mayweather then.
thawk888 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #14
ricardinho
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
Cotto has a solid body attack if he can establish it I am certain that Floyd will run.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 AM   #15
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Now you guys are all really welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawk888 View Post
First off, thanks Bogo.

Second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
He might, but don't forget that in previous interviews this week, he said "I'm prepared for whatever he's going to do to me, whether he runs, or pressures me." His words and the drills they've been doing suggest that they know Floyd is absolutely capable of being the aggressor.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum