The Batkilt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: Listening to Scottrf and teeto's raps - and lovin' it
vCash: 500
Default Re: How would you move Alvarez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post
Erislandy Lara would be a very good test but no chance that'll happen.
I honestly think Lara would knock Alvarez out within 8 rounds. If Golden Boy didn't think Lara has too much for the likes of Canelo and Kirkland they'd have put him in with Canelo rather than Cintron last year or put him in with Kirkland a few months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty View Post
I would go Bundrage/Spinks winner next, then go for someone like Rodriguez, then Kirkland. If he wins all three and Cotto is still about then him and then he will be as ready as he is going to be for Mayweather.
I think the Bundrage/Spinks winner is the likely route. GBP won the purse bid and Bundrage is no longer promoted by King. I doubt GBP would have bid for it if they didn't have an eye on a 'unification' bout later this year.
The Batkilt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Yeah agree i think Lara would beat the kid up.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I'd keep him well away from Molina if I were GB.

Saying that, he is starting to grow on me. I'm liking his left hook, both upstairs and to the body, and he also sets a few traps, which is remarkable for someone his age and experience. I'm on round 6 vs Mosley now, and he is dealing with the cut very well.

Who next? I'd like him to smash shit out of Kirkland, who's stock has risen a bit. I think he beats Bundrage as well. Like I say, he has started to really impress me
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
The Batkilt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: Listening to Scottrf and teeto's raps - and lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vano-Irons View Post
I'd keep him well away from Molina if I were GB.

Saying that, he is starting to grow on me. I'm liking his left hook, both upstairs and to the body, and he also sets a few traps, which is remarkable for someone his age and experience. I'm on round 6 vs Mosley now, and he is dealing with the cut very well.

Who next? I'd like him to smash shit out of Kirkland, who's stock has risen a bit. I think he beats Bundrage as well. Like I say, he has started to really impress me
I put Molina in the same bracket as Lara. Different type of fighters, sure, but both are arguably better than Alvarez and Kirkland yet won't get a fair shake due to not being a 'name' fighter. (I know Molina fought Kirkland but that finish was BS, as was Cintron fighting Alvarez after being beaten by Molina.)

Alvarez might develop over the next few years, but I think he'll always have defensive flaws that guys like Lara will take advantage of. Kirkland is just overhyped and I'd be probably hop on board as a fan of Alvarez if he knocked him out. There's just something about Kirkland I don't like.
The Batkilt is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah, Kirkland is a borderline cunt IMO. I love to see him get sparked out again. I think Lara would expose the defensive flaws of Canelo like you mentioned. I'd certainly favour both Lara and Molina over him at this stage.

But he is still only what, 21? With pretty much no amateur experience. Those flaws can be fixed. He also looks a pretty big Light Middle already, so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves up within a year
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

I think Alvarez has a style that will suit him against Molina better than most tbh. It would be a very tough fight as Molina is for anyone in the weight as he is awkward as hell but I think Alvarez would deal with him better than Kirkland did.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
El Greeno
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 360

Alvarez/Cotto seems an obvious choice for a PPV card for Mexican Independence weekend. I have been more patient than most with Canelo's opponents but I wanna see him step up now. Kirkland at a minimum for me.

Edit: Just read on the scene that Schaefer has said Canelo will be out Sep 15 at the MGM Grand headlining a PPV card. Really hope it is Cotto; would be such a great fight.
El Greeno is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I'd move him to middleweight. He's growing as a lad, would be more comfortable there I imagine, and would get tougher tasks.

Alvarez Vs Chavez obviously won't happen, but I'd chuck Alvarez in with Pirog, Sturm, HNDNJ.

If not, Kirkland, P-Dub, Lara, Molina, Bundrage, all viable matchups at 154.

I'd personally love to see Floyd Vs Martinez and Canelo Vs Chavez: winners fight each other In a perfect World
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #24
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

Golden Boy announced last nite that Alvarez will headline a PPV show Sept. 1`5th.It best be a loaded up card and aginst a "name" opponent like Cotto or it will sink.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

can't see Chavez v Canelo happening for a while as I think Chavez will make the jump up to SMW within the next year especially if Ward and Bute make a jump up themselves.

Plus TR and GBP are hardleys going to put each of their cash cows in together in a rush in case they push the other promotions guy an extra level.

Plenty of guys at MW to feed him though, I would imagine someone like Jermaine Taylor would be near the top of their list should Canelo move north.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Canelo still doesn't look like he is laying it on the line like he should. Always in gear 2. He'll land a vicious combo and step off for 20 seconds. Doesn't seem to know if he is a boxer or brawler so he falls somewhere in between by resting and exploding.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #27
iron_chin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

kirkland, bundrage/spinks, mayorga (for the lolz) or cotto
iron_chin is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #28
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Canelo still doesn't look like he is laying it on the line like he should. Always in gear 2. He'll land a vicious combo and step off for 20 seconds. Doesn't seem to know if he is a boxer or brawler so he falls somewhere in between by resting and exploding.
He has reached 168 in the ring. He has also gassed in a few fights. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a genuine choice made by him. Or maybe that as he spends a lot of time draining he hasn't really found his style yet.

I really think 160 is the way to go. I'd pick him against Sturm now.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 895

Kirkland then either Trout/Bundrage (if he wins the rematch against Spinks which coincidently is on a GB show).
royalt0208 is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
royalt0208
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
He has reached 168 in the ring. He has also gassed in a few fights. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a genuine choice made by him. Or maybe that as he spends a lot of time draining he hasn't really found his style yet.

I really think 160 is the way to go. I'd pick him against Sturm now.
In Germany I think I would favour Sturm by decision
royalt0208 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum