Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
dayuum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Boil and Bite motuhguard alternative?

I lost my mouthguard (I lost the box and thought it would be smart to but it inside my gloves but it slipped out. I tried making a new one but after two tries I got one that fits but not nearly tight enough. I really suck at making those things fit properly.

I was considering two options:
1.Get a paste one (I heard these are pretty much failsafe, true?)
2.Make one at Dentist (Pricey but I know I have one that will last me a lifetime granted I don't lose it)
dayuum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248
Default Re: Boil and Bite motuhguard alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
I lost my mouthguard (I lost the box and thought it would be smart to but it inside my gloves but it slipped out. I tried making a new one but after two tries I got one that fits but not nearly tight enough. I really suck at making those things fit properly.

I was considering two options:
1.Get a paste one (I heard these are pretty much failsafe, true?)
2.Make one at Dentist (Pricey but I know I have one that will last me a lifetime granted I don't lose it)
There was a thread on this a few days ago. I swear by Shock Doctor as their custom mouthguard is the best on the market. However, if you don't have the funds for their custom version, then their "Nano" mouthguard is a solid alternative...just a bit difficult to mold.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
dayuum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
There was a thread on this a few days ago. I swear by Shock Doctor as their custom mouthguard is the best on the market. However, if you don't have the funds for their custom version, then their "Nano" mouthguard is a solid alternative...just a bit difficult to mold.
I tried a Shockdoctor boil and bite and it just didn't fit.

A fitting mouthguard is real important for me since I can't concentrate if my mouthguard isn't fitted properly and obstructs my breathing
dayuum is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
watpoae
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Get an opro custom guard.

They send you the putty shit and you just put it in your mouth to mould it and then send it to them.

They're as good as dentist guards but half the price.
watpoae is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95

Got a 7 Opro mouthguard and honestly couldnt ask for better. Fits perfectly, comes with CD so you know exactly how to do it well
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

my favourite are the cheap clear single mouth guard (i find the black ones don't soften as much).

drop it in near boiling water. when it softens, lift it out with a spoon and throw it directly into your mouth. do not bite it! push your tongue flat to the roof of your mouth and use your fingers to push on your lips. lots of times it'll mold so tight it locks in like a dental made and i have to work to get it out.
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #7
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxinScienceUSA View Post
my favourite are the cheap clear single mouth guard (i find the black ones don't soften as much).

drop it in near boiling water. when it softens, lift it out with a spoon and throw it directly into your mouth. do not bite it! push your tongue flat to the roof of your mouth and use your fingers to push on your lips. lots of times it'll mold so tight it locks in like a dental made and i have to work to get it out.
Mouthguards are the last things that you want to go cheap on. Research the science behind the Shock Doctor technology and you'll understand why. I don't own stock in this company or anything but I've used their custom mouthguard(139.99?) for years and it's the absolute best. Trust me, if you're interested in keeping your marbles later in life you'll at least research the science behind them.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
I tried a Shockdoctor boil and bite and it just didn't fit.

A fitting mouthguard is real important for me since I can't concentrate if my mouthguard isn't fitted properly and obstructs my breathing
Yes, I mentioned that their Nano, specifically, was difficult to mold but I promise that their custom guard will do wonders for you...especially if you're very active(sparring daily/every other day and entering multiple tourneys a year).

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing