Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 10:09 AM   #31
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 75
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
Derry is getting too much credit for the first round there.

Rees won a competitive second and dominated the third.

I got Rees stopping him around 8 in this one.
I didn't mention the first fight in that post because I didn't really take a great deal from it when picking Mathews. I only brought it up when that other poster made the stupid suggestion that Rees is a massive favourite vs Mathews- which based on what we saw first time around, he isn't. Maybe your looking too much into Rees in the 3rd round, people have dominated in one round before and ended up losing? Crolla looked like he was coming on strong vs Derry but he managed to turn it around there.

All I'm saying is that I think this fight is a close one. I think it's quite reasonable to make Rees favourite and to think he is going to win but on the other end of the scale, it's also fair enough to think that Mathews has a decent opportunity too. Which I'm hoping he will be able to do.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: S Wales
Posts: 5,922
vCash: 2019
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I didn't mention the first fight in that post because I didn't really take a great deal from it when picking Mathews. I only brought it up when that other poster made the stupid suggestion that Rees is a massive favourite vs Mathews- which based on what we saw first time around, he isn't. Maybe your looking too much into Rees in the 3rd round, people have dominated in one round before and ended up losing? Crolla looked like he was coming on strong vs Derry but he managed to turn it around there.

All I'm saying is that I think this fight is a close one. I think it's quite reasonable to make Rees favourite and to think he is going to win but on the other end of the scale, it's also fair enough to think that Mathews has a decent opportunity too. Which I'm hoping he will be able to do.
I'm talking in general more than about you. Only quoted you because the posts before me were on Hope Proska.

Rees had him worked out for me, and only needed that first round to find his bearings given the obvious size difference.

It'll be straightforward for me. Rees TKO.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I didn't mention the first fight in that post because I didn't really take a great deal from it when picking Mathews. I only brought it up when that other poster made the stupid suggestion that Rees is a massive favourite vs Mathews- which based on what we saw first time around, he isn't. Maybe your looking too much into Rees in the 3rd round, people have dominated in one round before and ended up losing? Crolla looked like he was coming on strong vs Derry but he managed to turn it around there.

All I'm saying is that I think this fight is a close one. I think it's quite reasonable to make Rees favourite and to think he is going to win but on the other end of the scale, it's also fair enough to think that Mathews has a decent opportunity too. Which I'm hoping he will be able to do.
You're the epitome of what I've said for a while here; that Derry is ridiculously overrated.

I'll repeat what I've said in previous threads:

Rees - former 'World' champ at LWW, European champ at LW, former British champ at LW, prizefighter winner. Lost once against a world class LWW who also had an Olympic silver.

Mathews - British champ at LW. Has been stopped 6 times at LW and lower.

Its a complete mismatch.

Yes, Crolla was an excellent result for him; but he's only given so much credit because he was such a big underdog and not because Crolla was come kind of top class operator.

Mathews is very vulnerable but does have a dig. I don't buy that he has this great 'heart' either, not after six stoppages.

"Retard" - good one
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #34
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 75
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
You're the epitome of what I've said for a while here; that Derry is ridiculously overrated.

I'll repeat what I've said in previous threads:

Rees - former 'World' champ at LWW, European champ at LW, former British champ at LW, prizefighter winner. Lost once against a world class LWW who also had an Olympic silver.

Mathews - British champ at LW. Has been stopped 6 times at LW and lower.

Its a complete mismatch.

Yes, Crolla was an excellent result for him; but he's only given so much credit because he was such a big underdog and not because Crolla was come kind of top class operator.

Mathews is very vulnerable but does have a dig. I don't buy that he has this great 'heart' either, not after six stoppages.

"Retard" - good one
OK let's look at all the stats then if you're so keen to bring them up. Who has Rees beaten who is better than Derry in his career? M'Baye obviously and I'd say Mezaache, being away from home too, are definites. But Murray? Watson? I don't think so. And I'm dismissing his Prizefighter wins here because, although at times fun to watch, to include that as a major prize when talking about a fighter is very misleading IMO.

Mathews meanwhile has shown his clear quality and boxing skills throughout his career and that was the point I originally made which you seemed to take issue with. Obviously, he has terrible punch resistance and that's what's held his career back but that doesn't detract from his boxing ability. Having a great chin is a blessing, not a skill you know.

Anyway, you seem to be in the minority in saying that it's a "complete mismatch" and the eveidence of the first time round, although not conclusive in any way, would seem to indicate that you are wrong too. If Rees was so clearly miles ahead of Derry, I'd have thought he'd have got him out of there within 4.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #35
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
OK let's look at all the stats then if you're so keen to bring them up. Who has Rees beaten who is better than Derry in his career? M'Baye obviously and I'd say Mezaache, being away from home too, are definites. But Murray? Watson? I don't think so. And I'm dismissing his Prizefighter wins here because, although at times fun to watch, to include that as a major prize when talking about a fighter is very misleading IMO.

Mathews meanwhile has shown his clear quality and boxing skills throughout his career and that was the point I originally made which you seemed to take issue with. Obviously, he has terrible punch resistance and that's what's held his career back but that doesn't detract from his boxing ability. Having a great chin is a blessing, not a skill you know.

Anyway, you seem to be in the minority in saying that it's a "complete mismatch" and the eveidence of the first time round, although not conclusive in any way, would seem to indicate that you are wrong too. If Rees was so clearly miles ahead of Derry, I'd have thought he'd have got him out of there within 4.
Well you seem to rate Derry so highly, I'm inclined to say that Rees hasn't beaten anyone better than Derry Yeah you've named two, I'd say Murray is better and I'm not allowed any from PF so there you have it.

Convenient of you to disregard Prizefighter aswell...but for the record Rees won at LWW and Derry was stopped (again) at SFW. Irrelevant, I know.

Anyhoo

You say he's showed "quality and skills" but at what level? Rees has shown better quality, skills and punch resistance at a higer level AND weight.

It is a mismatch based on levels, its irrefutable. Rees has mixed (briefly) at world level, currently at Euro. Derry has been stopped at Brit level many times.

The fact I'm "in the minority" is the point I'm making; that Derry is waaay overrated.

Perhaps I'm just a retard though
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 75
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
Well you seem to rate Derry so highly, I'm inclined to say that Rees hasn't beaten anyone better than Derry Yeah you've named two, I'd say Murray is better and I'm not allowed any from PF so there you have it.

Convenient of you to disregard Prizefighter aswell...but for the record Rees won at LWW and Derry was stopped (again) at SFW. Irrelevant, I know.

Anyhoo

You say he's showed "quality and skills" but at what level? Rees has shown better quality, skills and punch resistance at a higer level AND weight.

It is a mismatch based on levels, its irrefutable. Rees has mixed (briefly) at world level, currently at Euro. Derry has been stopped at Brit level many times.

The fact I'm "in the minority" is the point I'm making; that Derry is waaay overrated.

Perhaps I'm just a retard though
Fine, you have your opinion on it and I think you're wrong but at least you've put your reasons down for saying so. I just think you'll see that Rees & Mathews levels are a lot closer than you actually think they are come fight night.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #37
hizhiz
G
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
No way on Earth Derry wins this.
thats exactly what people said about the crolla fight i think he has more chance of pulling this off as he has the confidence from the crolla fight slightly favour reese but to say no way derry wins is just being a silly billy now ..
hizhiz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,950
vCash: 75
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemax View Post
Teak tough Ghanaian........until his family was sold into slavery 350 years ago
F'n 'ell
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #39
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,950
vCash: 75
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

I expect Proksa to win this time.

As for Rees-Matthews, Rees IMO.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #40
hitandhope
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 861
vCash: 989
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
It's tough for him cos i felt Proska went in believing it would be a knock over job and the cut affected him and Hope took advantage of him being ragged.

It was a inspired display from Kerry, He'll need to use the jab once again and really put it on Proska who i think is a flat track bully of a fighter and when it's coming on top becomes dirty. Hope will need to mix it up behind straight punches and a high held guard. Force a good pace and expose the flaws in Proska's style again.

Winnable fight, Proska will be better this time so Hope's got it all to do but he can beat him but i'd slightly favor Proska just got a feeling Kerry will struggle to match that display again. Saying that though he's now a champion! He'll train even harder i'd like to think.
Cheers for that Skills, appreciate your analysis.
hitandhope is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #41
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Proksa UD.

Rees TKO 8.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #42
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Proksa & Rees also for me.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #43
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Proksa will KO him this time, I believe. Rees, probably.

Jones is not a bad fight for Brook.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #44
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hong Kong via Sunderland
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Default Re: Brook/Jones Proksa/Hope II Rees/Matthews II 7th July

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhiz View Post
thats exactly what people said about the crolla fight i think he has more chance of pulling this off as he has the confidence from the crolla fight slightly favour reese but to say no way derry wins is just being a silly billy now ..
Rees is levels above Crolla too, another one who is massively overrated.

Burns

Rees
Mitchell

Mathews
Crolla

The rest
Lilo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013