Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
dayuum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default I hate assignment sparring so much

I rarely get hit during sparring but as soon as the coach forces us to do assignment sparring I get hurt.

Assignment 1 was to spar with your wrong foot, seeing as how my footwork is one of my worst qualities and I'm as southpaw as can be, I looked like a clown out there but I still didn't get hit nor did I land anything clean

Assignment 2 was to only go with your jab hand for the head and use your main hand to go to the body. I'm a guy who makes openings with my jab and then finish with a straight. I was sparring a much smaller and faster guy who is great at predicting things. I always keep him at distance with the jab and then throw a straight as soon as I see an opening. I saw so many openings that I couldn't capitalise on solely because I couldnt do a straight to the head. Once I did go to the body (He's like 5'5 and I'm 6'2) I got clogged right on the chin because I basically surrender my height advantage and he knew the only thing I could do with that straight is go to the body.

Because my fighting style is so limited I really hate this type of sparring =/

Any tips? I don't want to change my style too much just because of these kind of sessions
dayuum is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Juxhin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 95
Default Re: I hate assignment sparring so much

Well assignment 1 isnt very good for everyone. For me it worked miracles cause i feel very comfortable with both stances but could be bad for other people.. As far as assignment 2, its quite good. Sometimes in boxing you gotta do the things you dont feel very comfortable with and dont bitch because you get hit or look like a clown. People go to a boxing gym like students go to school, to learn. Dont only stick to 1 style, learn to adapt to different fighters and situations.
Juxhin is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
KiD Caiman
Prospect
ESB Full Member

vCash: 12596

If you're not good at assignment sparring then you have flaws in your game, therefore this is good for you as you will improve your weak areas.
KiD Caiman is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
lepinthehood
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I got bashed up sparring a tall lefty yesterday, did better against the more experienced orthodox fighter, did very well at the end against a quick heavy handed fighter about my height whose a bit rusty, and the very last punch a left hook gave me a nice shiner. Then today at other gym went against a heavier guy and we were pretty much jabbed each other back stalemate, and last guy shorter i picked off well but he hit me with left hooks as he ducked low. What i have to work on, keeping right hand up and throw uppercuts instead of long punches and work my inside fighting and dont commit yourself against taller guys pretty basic but as an average 5'9 light welterweight i have learn both styles, not just work on what ur good at cause your tall, theres gonna alot guys stockier go bang ur guts. You have to learn to fight in the clinch, think outside fighting is actually far easier than a short fighter trying get in.
lepinthehood is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

If you like doing only what is comfortable for you, then you better get out of this game before somebody beats the crap out of you.

Remember, there's someone doing assignment sparring everyday without a complaint, and when he faces you, and you can't figure him out, but he can (because he's done tons of assignment sparring and you fagged out because you don't like it), and he kicks your ass, whose fault is it?
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Keep practicing you'll get better with more experience and it will pay off. When you're doing that we usually don't go hard enough to get hurt. I'm not a huge fan of sparring with the wrong lead foot anyway, I'm sure someone can correct me but I think it's a load of a wank to be honest.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Dark Sider
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 598

Assignment sparring is how I got my rib bruised...****ing IDIOTIC drills that limited me against much heavier and taller guys.

Great thread.
Dark Sider is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Dark Sider
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 598

Also, I don't mind assignment drills, but in this case, they were idiotic drills that wouldn't help at all.
Dark Sider is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
I rarely get hit during sparring but as soon as the coach forces us to do assignment sparring I get hurt.

Assignment 1 was to spar with your wrong foot, seeing as how my footwork is one of my worst qualities and I'm as southpaw as can be, I looked like a clown out there but I still didn't get hit nor did I land anything clean

Assignment 2 was to only go with your jab hand for the head and use your main hand to go to the body. I'm a guy who makes openings with my jab and then finish with a straight. I was sparring a much smaller and faster guy who is great at predicting things. I always keep him at distance with the jab and then throw a straight as soon as I see an opening. I saw so many openings that I couldn't capitalise on solely because I couldnt do a straight to the head. Once I did go to the body (He's like 5'5 and I'm 6'2) I got clogged right on the chin because I basically surrender my height advantage and he knew the only thing I could do with that straight is go to the body.

Because my fighting style is so limited I really hate this type of sparring =/

Any tips? I don't want to change my style too much just because of these kind of sessions

The bit in bold is exactly why you need to do a lot of assignment sparring. Good to have a style you're strong at, but you need to have a second option if that fails..
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

The southpaw one is a great idea.... Conditioned sparring is how you get better at everything. If you suck at something you will only improve by doing it till you master it...

Please see my new thread/
brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing