Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 05-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
brando
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Jeff: If Pacquiao fought Cotto at154 lb it will be a different outcome

"And then you have one guy that's a 154-pounder and he fights him at 145; it's totally different. Floyd goes up. Floyd fights at welterweight on fight night and this guy is a middleweight. I mean, when you put those different parameters in there, it's not even fair. If Manny Pacquiao would have fought Miguel Cotto at 154 pounds, I don't want to say that the outcome would be different, but I guarantee it is. It would have been a different fight; a completely different fight,"

Do you agree?
brando is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Young Terror
O.G
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 935
Default Re: Jeff M. says if Pacquiao Cotto fought at 154 lb it will be a different outcome

Pac would still be too much for Cotto at 154.

Bad style for Cotto.
Young Terror is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
timmyjames
PTurd curb stomper
East Side Guru

vCash: 3111
Default Re: Jeff M. says if Pacquiao Cotto fought at 154 lb it will be a different outcome

well, perhaps...with diaz, yes...with santiago...maybe...for the simple fact that cotto would have actually been training for a boxing match, and not only training to make weight
timmyjames is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: JJeff: If Pacquiao Cotto fought at 154 lb it will be a different outcome

Styles makes fights.

Eventually Pacquiao would dog Cotto out, again.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
boxbox
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Jeff: If Pacquiao fought Cotto at154 lb it will be a different outcome

Same story.
boxbox is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488
Default Re: Jeff: If Pacquiao fought Cotto at154 lb it will be a different outcome

145lb Cotto 154lb Cotto.... styles make fights but so do weights.
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I 100% agree. Pacquiao by UD this time. Cotto survives the distance
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
goldenboy98
Journeyman

Ofcorse Cotto had never fought past 147 at the time the two fought. LOL
goldenboy98 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
Chibuku
I'm awesome
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
"And then you have one guy that's a 154-pounder and he fights him at 145; it's totally different. Floyd goes up. Floyd fights at welterweight on fight night and this guy is a middleweight. I mean, when you put those different parameters in there, it's not even fair. If Manny Pacquiao would have fought Miguel Cotto at 154 pounds, I don't want to say that the outcome would be different, but I guarantee it is. It would have been a different fight; a completely different fight,"

Do you agree?
yes I do
Chibuku is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
slantone
Ring General
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2204

woulda coulda shoulda.

these criticisms based on hypothetical scenarios totally undermine what has happened. the fact is- they both agreed to the fight, signed it- and came in - and pac won. any excuses afterwards are just weak. if youre too weak to fight at that weight- then don't. once you enter the ring- in boxing- there are no excuses. its just the way it is. give credit where credit is due- rather than taking it away for everything. boxing is too full of haterisms lately. instead of giving these guys , the top guys of their sport , winners or losers- credit- we seem to be programmed to criticise every single elite athlete for anything. its getting boring.
slantone is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Fighting Pride
Belt holder
ESB Addict

That's the same as saying had Mayweather fought Hatton at 140 and Marquez at 144 they would have been different fights. Can't have it both ways..

These Mayweathers just love to denigrate Pacquiao's wins to prop up Mayweather's, I don't put any more to it than that. Mayweather didn't even mention the possible tactical aspect of a rematch having an impact, with Cotto having improved with his boxing and in his discipline in sticking to a gameplan, and also how Cotto being slower could play into Pac's hands even more, no, the catchweight was the only difference to him, typical hater

Welterweight was Cotto's best weight, infact he might still be able to get down there. Cotto did not look drained vs Pac, it was a lb below the weight he was used to fighting at and his fight previous, where he weighed a lb under the limit against such a big strong welter in Clottey, which doesn't make sense if he was having trouble making weight.
Fighting Pride is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

He should fight Cotto again at 154 if he beats Bradley
bronx is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Motley Lue
Journeyman

not the same story at all. it would be a hard fought close ud for pac with a good chance of cotto stopping pac. 154 cotto is a different monster and just how he got himself in his best form for floyd.
Motley Lue is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
milkman11
Boxing Junkie
ESB Senior Member

Pacquiao by UD. The difference is that Cotto would be comfortable at this weight and he actually has a trainer with a good game plan to counter Roach's game plan. Not the one sided slaughter we have seen already. All Cotto had at that fight was his jab.
milkman11 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
Caelum
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Lue View Post
not the same story at all. it would be a hard fought close ud for pac with a good chance of cotto stopping pac. 154 cotto is a different monster and just how he got himself in his best form for floyd.

Like it was mentioned prior, the TRAINER of Cotto this time around may have played a difference. As well as Cotto's mentality that he said himself was affected by Margarito and felt better after he beat Margarito.

If I recall, even Emanuel said Cotto had changed his style and it affected him against Pac.

Now if bigger gloves would have made the difference, maybe.

However, if Pac hurts Cotto, he does have the ability to keep him hurt, so....

I would still favor Pac. He has those sneaky punches.

But I would still knock Team Pac for making the fight below 147. Just fight at the damn weight class limit. If it didn't matter, then why would you demand it?

like Roach said a while back, if you can get that fighter to think about the weight during camp and not the fighter, it gives you the advantage. If you can take away something, why not?
Even if it is one or two pounds. That's one or two pounds you now have to adjust for and worry about.
Caelum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum