Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #32
Caper
How about a fair shake?
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Manny Pacqauio have beaten Miguel Cotto at Jr. Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Pride View Post
I can only laugh at how some people so easily eat up Mayweather's nonsense. Search back on some threads on Cotto-Pac II from late last year/early this year and you'll see almost everyone claiming there was no point to it and Pac would whoop him at any weight.
Not sure if we are talking about the same thread but I seem to recall a good amount of posters stating the opposite. This is before the Floyd fight and in all honesty I beleive the fight would differ though I would'nt go out on a limb and say Cotto wins just he touches Pac up more than he did the first time. Lets put the first bout in perspective....Cotto physically couldnt time Pac, could not focus and was caught with blinding flurries....when they boxed it was clear Cotto had the better pedigree. I truly beleive Cotto has the ability to make the proper adjustments he's proven that much in his career. As great as pacman is he hasnt changed his approach much thus the reason why he struggled fighting the same man with the same style three times. Pac's answer to the Marquez puzzle was simply becoming more aggressive and putting all his stock into his physical gifts. This fight is not cut and dry....I swear at times we over shadow the many wrinkles in the fight game with these black and white analysis regarding fights with championship caliber boxers.
Caper is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #33
Young Terror
O.G
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 935

Same result all over again.
Young Terror is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #34
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Of course he could. Too bad he didn't want to find out though, Bock bock!
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #35
Davo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
Well, given the fact that he has already beaten him, I'm gonna say, this world.
Then why did Manny just refuse to fight him above 147? He clearly would have wanted Cotto over Bradley so if he could beat him at JMW, why give up the big payday and demand it at 147?
Davo is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #36
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP

vCash: 740

One has to wonder why Pac would pass up 154 champ Cotto and fight the ever popular money machine 140 Bradley at 147.
IsaL is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #37
Rainman
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Pride View Post
Manny Steward said he weighs 151 weeks before his fights at JMW and has to eat up to the limit.
That's odd, you'd think he'd be eating the whole time. I'd assume those extra lbs would be much more effective if he did.
Rainman is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #38
PaoloMirani
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caper View Post
Not sure if we are talking about the same thread but I seem to recall a good amount of posters stating the opposite. This is before the Floyd fight and in all honesty I beleive the fight would differ though I would'nt go out on a limb and say Cotto wins just he touches Pac up more than he did the first time. Lets put the first bout in perspective....Cotto physically couldnt time Pac, could not focus and was caught with blinding flurries....when they boxed it was clear Cotto had the better pedigree. I truly beleive Cotto has the ability to make the proper adjustments he's proven that much in his career. As great as pacman is he hasnt changed his approach much thus the reason why he struggled fighting the same man with the same style three times. Pac's answer to the Marquez puzzle was simply becoming more aggressive and putting all his stock into his physical gifts. This fight is not cut and dry....I swear at times we over shadow the many wrinkles in the fight game with these black and white analysis regarding fights with championship caliber boxers.
Cotto wasn't really boxing...after the 4th or 5th he was doing what Shane did against Pac, full tactical retreat...with the primary aim of not punching back but to avoid exchanges at all costs. Whatever Cotto landed were arbitrarily thrown "stay away from me" punches on a Pacquiao who was now then simply walking down a retreating Cotto.
PaoloMirani is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #39
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

1-3 he did good bar the kd's. Afterwards Cotto would throw punches but as soon as he was tagged he would retreat then reset this strategy until he completely lost offense 10-12.
techks is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normen Bates View Post
Miguel Cotto as of recently has rejuvenated his career in some regards and with Pedro Diaz working his corner he's far from the fighter he was when he faced Manny Pacquaio in 2009.

Spiritually, I think Cotto was in a different place then considering he fighting at a Catch-weight, his corner was highly inexperienced, and he was coming off an extremely grueling battle with Jousha Clottey.

Not to make excuses; However, in a four fight stretch (Margartio, Jennings, Clottey, and Pacquaio) you can ague Cotto was 1-3 winning the return bout with Jennings, but barely scraping passed Clottey in a close fight.

Nonetheless, Cotto at Jr. Middleweight has showed advancement, better trainer, more physical, better strategic advice.

Does the version of Manny Pacquaio who fought Antonio Margarito at 150bs that got busted up and hurt a few times beat Miguel Cotto at 154lbs without a catch-weight.
PAC would beat Cotto at any weight..catchweight or not. Styles make fights and PAC is all wrong for Miguel. Miguel seems to have style that causes Floyd trouble no matter the weight class.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #41
KnuckleUp99
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaL View Post
One has to wonder why Pac would pass up 154 champ Cotto and fight the ever popular money machine 140 Bradley at 147.
I don't think PAC wanted to fight at 154, thinking he's not big enough after facing Marg. PAC's not really struggling for money so fighting Tim where he'll take away a large portion of the purse and PPV buys didn't really hurt his pockets that much since Cotto would have more leverage on the financial side of things.
KnuckleUp99 is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #42
sbbigmike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

NO, think of the damage Margarito was able to do to Manny at 154, and Cotto already showed the ability to out box Manny, bad match up all around which is why they tried to drain Cotto to 147 again
sbbigmike is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #43
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

if the same pacquiao back in 2009 or even 2010, i don't see pac having problem beating this version of cotto. but the present pac, imo is slowing down and has lost his fire. this fight with bradley could confirm my hunch.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #44
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbigmike View Post
NO, think of the damage Margarito was able to do to Manny at 154, and Cotto already showed the ability to out box Manny, bad match up all around which is why they tried to drain Cotto to 147 again
when did this happened?
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #45
NeckBreaknAiken
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 700

Y'all know I'm no Cotto nuthugger...

But he was much better of a fighter at 154 after a "victory" against Margarito, than he was after getting battered by Clottey and fighting at 145.

I think he would have done much better against Pac at 154. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just talking shit and forgetting all the facts.
NeckBreaknAiken is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum