Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Jimmy McLarnin

IMO the most underrated/ unknown (great) p4p- fighter right now on this forum, what do you think about him? He hold wins over the likes of Petrolle, Corbett III, Benny Leonard, Ross, Canzoneri, Ambers, Pancho Villa (I rate this win also pretty high, because both weighed almost the same, I think Jimmy at the most 5 lbs more, and Pancho reached his prime), etc., I think you could rank him at the best also in your top 10- p4p- list (9th or so), his resume is massive...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Jimmy McLarnin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
IMO the most underrated/ unknown (great) p4p- fighter right now on this forum, what do you think about him? He hold wins over the likes of Petrolle, Corbett III, Benny Leonard, Ross, Canzoneri, Ambers, Pancho Villa (I rate this win also pretty high, because both weighed almost the same, I think Jimmy at the most 5 lbs more, and Pancho reached his prime), etc., I think you could rank him at the best also in your top 10- p4p- list (9th or so), his resume is massive...
Mclarnin had a very astute manager in Pops Foster ,who contrived to get Jimmy a weight advantage in a lot of fights,that said he was a genuine great fighter ,with good skills and a very fast ko right hand.The Baby Faced Assassin,before Barrera.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #3
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I didn't know much about this guy until I read a big article about him in a local newspaper here in Southern California. I guess this guy was a pretty big legend down at the San Pedro and Wilmington dock yards where he worked as a longshoreman. He was a genuine tough guy who would basically fight anybody anywhere. I think I saved the article; it came out sometime last year in the Press Telegram. I know this old timer that goes to the Bally's Total Fitness gym where I go and he knew Jimmy. He said Jimmy was always a little "off" in the head - those were his exact words! He said he was a crazy guy who was always wacky.........Also, the old timer that told me this used to box way back when....I know he had an extensive amateur background and was a champion in the navy. His name is Owen Ellis - he's about 84-85 years old right now. He was from Kentucky, and he once had a boxing match referreed by Jack Dempsey. And I can tell this guy was a genuine ass kicker back in the day. At his current age, he's about 5'10(down from his prime height of 5'11") and weighs about 200 lbs. He likes to show off in front of the mirror at the gym by grabbing a couple of 35 or 40 pound dumbbells and pounding himself in the stomach with them. He makes a big show of it! LOL......But he's really cool
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yep McLarnin is an all time great and has fought a who's who his fights with Ross are legendary non stop I would like to see his fights against Canzoneri.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
brownpimp88
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i actually made a post similar to this before, hes from vancouver so hes from my area, lol. Yeah his resume is wicked, sweet scientists will say shit like he shouldnt be top 10 p4p cuz of incocnsistent losses. Please his wins resume far surpasses that of guys like whitaker, hagler, etc. Much better wins.
brownpimp88 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpimp88
i actually made a post similar to this before, hes from vancouver so hes from my area, lol. Yeah his resume is wicked, sweet scientists will say shit like he shouldnt be top 10 p4p cuz of incocnsistent losses. Please his wins resume far surpasses that of guys like whitaker, hagler, etc. Much better wins.
Sure, much better wins - but much worse losses as well. You can't deny that. Most of the big names he beat he lost to as well. And some guys that were good but not great he lost to as well. I think we can say with surety that he belongs to the level of most of the greats that he fought. But he didn't distinguish himself from many of his elite peers. Should he for example be higher than Barney Ross? I don't see it. Ross was more consistent and got the better of him in their series.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum