Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Prime Weaver vs Prime Holyfield

I think most of us would pick Evander to take this one, but that's not what I'm trying to dicern here. Imagine what a slugfest this would be. Two tough fighters both built like mountains, and with a ton of heart.

I think this matchup should entail the Holyfield from 1990, who beat Douglas for the title vs the Weaver from 1980 who beat John Tate for the WBA belt. Both guys were hungry, fit, and had no quit.

Prediction: A close range war resulting in back and forth periods of staggering and even some knockdowns. In the end, Holyfield wins by a late stoppage or on points.

What do you think?

Would you pay big bucks to see this match?

How about a good undercard to spice things up, say Cooney vs Dokes?
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Prime Weaver vs Prime Holyfield

Hells yeah, I'd buy a ticket. I think Holyfield would win on points and both guys would sure be feeling it for the next month or so.

Cooney-Dokes sounds fine...how about Witherspoon-Snipes II?
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Good card. Holy mentions Hercules quite a bit in his excellent recent autobiography. Seems as though they were friends and did quite of bit of sparring together. I think Holyfied takes Weaver apart enroute to a knockout victory. Holyfield's father, by the way as mentioned in the book, was a man by the name of Isom Coley. Holyfield describes him as a lumberjack who was a gentle man despite possessing incredible physical strength and imposing size. He later came to all of his fights and never had a problem with his son keeping the name Holyfield. This book:Becoming Holyfield - A Fighter's Journey - is an excellent read and highly recommended for fans of the Real Deal. By Evander Holyfield with Lee Gruenfeld. Copyright 2008 by Real Deal Events, LLC.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu
Good card. Holy mentions Hercules quite a bit in his excellent recent autobiography. Seems as though they were friends and did quite of bit of sparring together. I think Holyfied takes Weaver apart enroute to a knockout victory. Holyfield's father, by the way as mentioned in the book, was a man by the name of Isom Coley. Holyfield describes him as a lumberjack who was a gentle man despite possessing incredible physical strength and imposing size. He later came to all of his fights and never had a problem with his son keeping the name Holyfield. This book:Becoming Holyfield - A Fighter's Journey - is an excellent read and highly recommended for fans of the Real Deal. By Evander Holyfield with Lee Gruenfeld. Copyright 2008 by Real Deal Events, LLC.
Thanks for the tip.

I might have to go pick up a copy.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonD
Hells yeah, I'd buy a ticket. I think Holyfield would win on points and both guys would sure be feeling it for the next month or so.

Cooney-Dokes sounds fine...how about Witherspoon-Snipes II?
I never saw the Witherspoon-Snipes fight, but I heard it was close. Some have even said that they felt Snipes should have taken it.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Sardu
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
Thanks for the tip.

I might have to go pick up a copy.

I got it from my local library. If you get it you will not be able to put it down. He gives you first hand insights about what he was thinking during the fan man incident, the bite against Tyson, how he regards Don King, Lennox Lewis, etc. It's a great bio and reads really well.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Sardu
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
I never saw the Witherspoon-Snipes fight, but I heard it was close. Some have even said that they felt Snipes should have taken it.

That fight was in 1981 I believe. I saw it on television and was sure Snipes had won. The decision was contraversial to say the least. Snipes was not a happy camper when they interviewed him afterwards. Spoon, of course, thought he won and everything was okay.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Muchmoore

vCash:

Good fight but Holyfield was sturdier, more active, and had better skills. Holyfield knocks him out late in a good fight.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum