Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215
Default Was there a middleweight who could have beaten Moore at light heavyweight?

I'm posing this question in regards to Carl 'Bobo' Olson who attempted to beat Moore in '55...IMO Olson is often relegated to 'second rate' status on this board...Olson was one hell of a fighter. After unsuccessfully challenging Moore, he had two bouts, (one against the very good Joey Giambra, whom he decisioned) then defended against the comebacking Ray Robinson...That would be a killer line up to face for anyone IMO...and facing such a difficult schedule undoubtably affected Olson.
So what middleweight in history could have fought the murderous punching Archie Moore at lightheavy?...and come out relatively unscathed...and then faced the subsequent oppositon? Olson does not get the credit he deserves!
dpw417 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Was there a middleweight who could have beaten Moore at light heavyweight?

Unscathed?

No idea.

I'd only put the very best in there.

Monzon, Greb, Walker, Hagler, Nunn.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was there a middleweight who could have beaten Moore at light heavyweight?

Not in my view, no. If you allow guys who also did well at LHW, then Greb has a very good chance.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
dpw417
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Not in my view, no. If you allow guys who also did well at LHW, then Greb has a very good chance.
That Sir...is my point!
Other than Greb, an ATG, would be able to tackle a line up like that...it's true that Bobo Olson wasn't successful against this line up (and it definitely was not a smart career choice)...I cannot think of any other middleweight who would be successful either...Greb is the logical choice, but I don't like his chances against Moore at light heavyweight...So in regards to Olson being 'chinny' that just is not a fair assessment...after facing a career altering line up of fights...Any other middleweight just might have ended up the same way.Facing Moore and Robinson so closely...IMO.
dpw417 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #5
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Unscathed?

No idea.

I'd only put the very best in there.

Monzon, Greb, Walker, Hagler, Nunn.
Oldtimer: Bob Fitzimmons when he moved up to Heavy was really
just a Lightheavy

Current: Roy Jones
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum