megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Rate these 3 in order P4P: Ward, Donaire, Martinez and EXPLAIN

Donaire
Martinez
Ward

Donaire of all 3 has consistently shown pound for pound level accomplishment and not just ability. He demolished his way up to 122, picking up some real P4P level wins, like Montiel. People take away from him because of his performance against a "negative" fighter like Narvaez. Super bantam is his 4th weight and people are already calling him to fight the best there. That speaks volumes.

Martinez fought the massively avoided Williams to a controversial decision when both were P4P #4 and 5. Then he moved up and whooped the man at MW in Pavlik and fought Williams again, winning by brutal KO. Whooped a solid opponent in Dzinziruk. No one wants to fight him at 154. He looked a lil vulnerable in the Dzinz fight and on, but this was still at MW which is why I bumped him down but otherwise he'd be solidly on top.

Ward, while being the man to beat at 168 hasn't shown anything that shouts "P4P level" to me other than ambiguous "H2H ability" and "being the man". He didn't beat any top 10 P4P, didn't beat any top opposition at other weights. He won the super 6 but that's it. If he beats Dawson AT 175 then he might have an edge against Martinez. In fact I have Ward on a similar level as Bradley in terms of accomplishments.

Discuss.

Last edited by megavolt; 05-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.
megavolt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 673
Default Re: Rate these 3 in order P4P: Ward, Donaire, Martinez and EXPLAIN

P4P
#4 Donaire
#5 Ward
#6 Sergio

Based on who they have beaten, how good or rated that opponent was going in, what that opponent has done since can play a role (for example, Donaire's KO of Hernan Marquez, even if at 115, looks great now that Marquez is one of the best 112 out there), how I perceive their skill set to be, the giving of credit for both a] long term dominance in a division and b] accomplishments at varying division limits.

Basically, how I believe all P4P should be judged:
The personal combination of judging resume with talent, both of which are opinions which will be unique to oneself.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side VIP

vCash: 248

I rank Martinez higher than Donaire simply due to activity level and the opponents he faced in that timeframe. Donaire has had too many stretches of inactivity/ mediocre opposition to give him the nod above ***icito, in my opinion.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt View Post
Donaire
Martinez
Ward

Donaire of all 3 has consistently shown pound for pound level accomplishment and not just ability. He demolished his way up to 122, picking up some real P4P level wins, like Montiel. People take away from him because of his performance against a "negative" fighter like Narvaez. Super bantam is his 4th weight and people are already calling him to fight the best there. That speaks volumes.

Martinez beat Williams when both were P4P #4 and 5. By brutal KO. Then he moved up and whooped the man at MW in Pavlik and whooped a solid opponent in Dzinziruk. No one wants to fight him at 154. He looked a lil vulnerable in the Dzinz fight and on, but this was still at MW which is why I bumped him down but otherwise he'd be solidly on top.

Ward, while being the man to beat at 168 hasn't shown anything other than ambiguous "H2H ability" and "being the man" that shouts "P4P level" to me. He didn't beat any top 10 P4P, didn't beat any top opposition at other weights. He won the super 6 but that's it. If he beats Dawson AT 175 then he might have an edge against Martinez. In fact I have Ward on a similar level as Bradley in terms of accomplishments.

Discuss.
I agree with this. People forgot how big the Darchinyan KO was for Nonito, no one gave him a chance in that fight and he one punched him.

Didn't Martinez KTFO of Williams after he already beat Pavlik though? Or am I getting my dates wrong?
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
P4P
#4 Donaire
#5 Ward
#6 Sergio

Based on who they have beaten, how good or rated that opponent was going in, what that opponent has done since can play a role (for example, Donaire's KO of Hernan Marquez, even if at 115, looks great now that Marquez is one of the best 112 out there), how I perceive their skill set to be, the giving of credit for both a] long term dominance in a division and b] accomplishments at varying division limits.

Basically, how I believe all P4P should be judged:
The personal combination of judging resume with talent, both of which are opinions which will be unique to oneself.
All's fair in matters of opinion, what I highlighted there though can go multiple ways though. A fighter can do very poorly after being beaten because of the nature he was beaten/brutalized.
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I agree with this. People forgot how big the Darchinyan KO was for Nonito, no one gave him a chance in that fight and he one punched him.

Didn't Martinez KTFO of Williams after he already beat Pavlik though? Or am I getting my dates wrong?
Yeah no you're right I mixed up the dates ill edit it
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeschicken View Post
I rank Martinez higher than Donaire simply due to activity level and the opponents he faced in that timeframe. Donaire has had too many stretches of inactivity/ mediocre opposition to give him the nod above ***icito, in my opinion.
Donaires resume >> Martinez' resume.
Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Arranmcl
Arran
ESB Senior Member

Arranmcl is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arranmcl View Post
Donaires resume >> Martinez' resume.
Yeah, Martinez is good, but I think he gets a bit overhyped just because people think he can "Challenge" Mayweather and Pacquiao.

But really, wins over Pavlik who just got smacked all over by Hopkins, and a severely overrated Williams makes it pretty hard to rank him any higher than top 5 or 6.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1606

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Yeah, Martinez is good, but I think he gets a bit overhyped just because people think he can "Challenge" Mayweather and Pacquiao.

But really, wins over Pavlik who just got smacked all over by Hopkins, and a severely overrated Williams makes it pretty hard to rank him any higher than top 5 or 6.
Yeah but don't forget he KOed Cintron who was ranked number one at 154 after that he beat Williams who was I think p4p top 5 and beat Pavlik who was the number one rated MW. For me is really hard to rate those 3. They all have great accomplishments. Out of the three Ward and ***y are more active but it seems that Donaire has the better resume and signature wins. Veryyy though to rate the Montiel and Vic victories are great but Donaire hasn't looked that great recently...
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonit View Post
Yeah but don't forget he KOed Cintron who was ranked number one at 154 after that he beat Williams who was I think p4p top 5 and beat Pavlik who was the number one rated MW. For me is really hard to rate those 3. They all have great accomplishments. Out of the three Ward and ***y are more active but it seems that Donaire has the better resume and signature wins. Veryyy though to rate the Montiel and Vic victories are great but Donaire hasn't looked that great recently...
Donaire has fought 3 times since the beginning of last year compared to Ward's twice, and Martinez' 3 times. He's the only one of the 3 to currently have a fight scheduled. He looked "lackluster" in a total shutout against Narvaez. He moved up again, took on a top 5 at 122 in Vazquez and whooped him with a hurt hand. (looked a lil vulnerable).

I think Ward is a clear bottom, and Donaire a clear top atm.
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1606

Quote:
Donaire has fought 3 times since the beginning of last year compared to Ward's twice, and Martinez' 3 times. He's the only one of the 3 to currently have a fight scheduled. He looked "lackluster" in a total shutout against Narvaez. He moved up again, took on a top 5 at 122 in Vazquez and whooped him with a hurt hand. (looked a lil vulnerable).

I had the Vazquez fight pretty close before the knock down on my card. That said Vazquez is not a bum and brought his A game to this fight
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

How in the world was Vazquez top 5 at 122? I mean I know it's a weak division but he had just been stopped by Arce and was never regarded as much more than a prospect.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side VIP

vCash: 248

Donaire may have a fight scheduled, but if it really is Mijares, I'm sorry but that is a freaking joke. There are many more worthy opponents for him.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeschicken View Post
Donaire may have a fight scheduled, but if it really is Mijares, I'm sorry but that is a freaking joke. There are many more worthy opponents for him.
Yeah i know it was just a response to this activity level claim
megavolt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum