Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #241
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3681
Default Re: Nutrition for boxing

I was just looking for some info on number of calories contained in a gram of protein, carb, fats, etc and came across this ... thought I'd post it here for others info or feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Protein provides 3.2 calories per gram, not 4 calories per gram

Posted by Larry Hobbs
Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:34 am Email this article

How long have you heard that protein and carbohydrates provide 4 calories per gram of food, and fat provides 9 calories per gram? Probably forever. But these numbers are bogus according to a recent paper by Dr. Geoffrey Livesey.

Proper calculation
Calculate calores after subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage

The calorie content of food should represent the amount of calories left for your body to use after subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage.

It is called Net Metabolisable Energy.

Protein
Protein : 3.2 calories per gram

After subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage, protein contains 3.2 calories per gram, not 4 calories as we have always been told.

Fat
Fat : 8.7 calories per gram

After subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage, fat contains 8.7 calories per gram, not 9 calories as we have always been told.

Carbohydrates
Carbohydrates : 3.8 calories per gram

After subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage, carbohydrates contains 3.8 calories per gram, which is what we have always been told.

Alcohol
Alcohol : 6.3 calories per gram

After subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage, alcohol contains 6.3 calories per gram, not 7 calories as we have always been told.

Fiber
Fermentable fiber : 1.9 calories per gram

After subtracting the calories required for metabolism and storage, fermentable fiber contains 1.9 calories per gram, not 0 calories as we have always been told.

List of fermentable fibers

A list of some soluble (fermentable) fibers include:

Psyllium
guar gum
cellulose
oat bran
barley
inulin
xanthan gum
fructooligosaccharides (FOS)
resistant starch
sugar alcohols

-------------------------------------------------
Broxi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #242
watpoae
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

What are peoples opinions on daily multi-vitamin tablets?

I got this months fighting fit mag and in their nutrition guide it states that it's recommended to take them.

I used to take them, but I'd say I eat pretty healthy (get more than my five a day by having a banana, kiwi, apple, alpen high fruit cereal plus veg with meals) so I stopped as I felt I was getting enough of them in my diet.

Can it do more harm than good to take them or not? The reason I stopped taking them was that I read that if you have a pretty good diet you'll be over doing it.

If if it advisable to still take them, is the one with added iron the best option?

Thanks.
watpoae is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #243
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by watpoae View Post
What are peoples opinions on daily multi-vitamin tablets?

I got this months fighting fit mag and in their nutrition guide it states that it's recommended to take them.

I used to take them, but I'd say I eat pretty healthy (get more than my five a day by having a banana, kiwi, apple, alpen high fruit cereal plus veg with meals) so I stopped as I felt I was getting enough of them in my diet.

Can it do more harm than good to take them or not? The reason I stopped taking them was that I read that if you have a pretty good diet you'll be over doing it.

If if it advisable to still take them, is the one with added iron the best option?

Thanks.
Sounds like your diet should provide what you need but it can't hurt to take them, they are "supplements" so consider them as such, they supplement your normal vitamin intake.

Take a decent multi-vitamin, 1000mg cod liver oil and B-Complex tablet and that should cover it.
Broxi is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #244
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxi View Post
Sounds like your diet should provide what you need but it can't hurt to take them, they are "supplements" so consider them as such, they supplement your normal vitamin intake.

Take a decent multi-vitamin, 1000mg cod liver oil and B-Complex tablet and that should cover it.
That would be over doing it. Yes, a decent multi vitamin and mineral, but not the cod liver oil, it has added vitamin A, and you would be getting vitamin A in too high of concentrations, and it would stop the absorption of vitamin D, take other fish oil capsules though, they do nothing but good.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #245
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
That would be over doing it. Yes, a decent multi vitamin and mineral, but not the cod liver oil, it has added vitamin A, and you would be getting vitamin A in too high of concentrations, and it would stop the absorption of vitamin D, take other fish oil capsules though, they do nothing but good.
Hmmm, interesting. Never knew that one ... thanks for the info.

What other fish oil would you recommend?
Broxi is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #246
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxi View Post
Hmmm, interesting. Never knew that one ... thanks for the info.

What other fish oil would you recommend?
Any fish oil without the added vitamin A to be honest.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #247
gcyoosf

I was wondering if you anyone here used whey protein to make a shake, if so, what kinds of additions do you add? Do you use water or milk? Does it taste good? What kind of Whey do you use?
gcyoosf is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #248
counterpuncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
It's normal to eat after hard work, the signals your body gives you are there for a reason. Not giving in to them will impair recovery.
So true.
counterpuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 AM   #249
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well, if anyone cares to comment, I have always felt perhaps that I consume an unusually large amount of food - so much that it's getting a little embarrassing around my co-workers when I "chain-eat" so i'm open to any comments.

Here's my food log for today (typical of most days)

Breakfast:
- 2/3 cup juice (homemade fruit/veggie from juice extractor)
- bowl of high fiber, whole wheat or granola cereal w/skim milk
- coffee
- english muffin w/egg white & deli sliced turkey

Snack:
- granola bar
- 2/3 cup fat free cottage cheese w/fruit

lunch:
- 6 oz lean meat (chicken breast or pork tenderloin) with brown rice & veggies
- apple

snack:
- protein cookie (homemade with whey isolate, peanuts/cottage chs/choc chips)
- banana
- yogourt
- 1/3 cup almonds

Pre-workout
- energy bar

Post Workout
- protein shake
- banana / fruits

Dinner
- 6 oz lean meat (chicken breast or pork tenderloin) with brown rice & veggies
- bowl of cereal
- 1/2 cup fruits

This sounds like a recipe for obesity, but I'm 5"8, 139 lbs and I train a lot so i manage to have a lean / athletic build - even though I work a 9-5 desk job during the day.
Yet I still manage to be hungry between meals/snacks.

Does this sound unusual for anyone, or do any of you eat this much?
I know it may sound like i'm bragging - truth is, I spend a crazy amount of time just preparing food (cuz I don't like fast food or processed junk) and it eats up a lot of my time and money. I actually try to eat less (skip 1 snack or 2 during the day) but it's hard to deal with the hunger.
Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #250
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Well, if anyone cares to comment, I have always felt perhaps that I consume an unusually large amount of food - so much that it's getting a little embarrassing around my co-workers when I "chain-eat" so i'm open to any comments.

Does this sound unusual for anyone, or do any of you eat this much?
I actually try to eat less (skip 1 snack or 2 during the day) but it's hard to deal with the hunger.
Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.
Do you like eating that amount? I don't see why you would be embarrassed by it, especially as you said you are hungry. I guess, if you want to consume less go for more calorically dense foods.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #251
counterpuncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post

I thought I was the only one who ate like that.
I eat that amount of food too.
I train a lot as well, twice a day for 5 days a week, and 2 non-consecutive rest days.
I'm 5'8'', 160lbs at my heaviest.
The only difference is that I eat 4 times a day because if I split it up like you do, I'm always hungry.

Train.
Breakfast.
Lunch 4 hours or so later.
Afternoon/pre-workout meal.
Train.
Dinner.

I eat less on rest days.
3 meals and a snack.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #252
counterpuncher

As far as my idiot co-workers are concerned, there are no words that exist that can accurately describe how little I care about what they think of my eating habits.
I'm kind of happy that they're confused as to why I can eat so much and still be trim while they eat little and stay fat.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #253
ToxicAngel

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist View Post
I would recommend Silk. Packed dense full of vitamins and mins and has me not even touching any kind of other milk. Also it mixes great with protein powder
the silk line is good i like their almond and coconut milk. both have different amounts of vitamins to fit ur needs. there is a new fruit product in their line i have not tried yet.

the primary advantage thejokerswild is soy milk is less fat & cholesterol and easier to digest. if your lactose intolerant than soy milk is better substitute than cow's milk

Last edited by ToxicAngel; 06-23-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling stuff
ToxicAngel is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #254
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
As far as my idiot co-workers are concerned, there are no words that exist that can accurately describe how little I care about what they think of my eating habits.
I'm kind of happy that they're confused as to why I can eat so much and still be trim while they eat little and stay fat.
I hope you aren't implying that they fat because they don't eat as frequently as you?
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #255
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
Thank you! someone who understands.
People see how much I eat and say "I gotta get on your diet plan", or "what's your secret?". I just laugh it off, cuz I don't wanna sound like a dick when I say "it's called training my ass off 5 days a week" even though that's what I actually mean.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing