Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #61
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Most People arguing Pac-Floyd Split DKSA MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGreene View Post
You have to have a large enough sample size. Otherwise outside variables can cause statistical outliners, greatly increasing the margin of error of your analysis. He's only using their top 5 ppv's. The oldest Pacquiao fight he used was from 41 months ago, so I don't see the issue with your concerns that it doesn't accurately gauge Pacquiao's drawing power because we're going back five years.
Top 5 ppvs is pretty arbitrary. Like the other guy says, drawing power doesn't last forever. I mean, I doubt Wlad ever made as much as Holyfield vs Tyson, is Evander entitled to more now? You'd think more recent revenues would be weighted more, cause you know, people would be buying the ppv now and not 5 years ago. Or if not, take the n most recent ppvs from each guy. What should n be: 3, 6, 8? Why?
lester proctor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #62
AlonzoGreene
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Arrow Re: Most People arguing Pac-Floyd Split DKSA MONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyo View Post
You can't use this based on a star athletes worth.. Too much happens in a short period to try and do a large scale graph... This would only work on a month by month basis or even better week by week which wont work in boxing...

Like I said before..., only today matters

Translation: The data doesn't support my preconceived notion so rather than rethink my hypothesis or provide a reasonable alternative, I rather just critique the analysis and essentially tell you there's not an accurate way do it.

Gotcha.
AlonzoGreene is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 01:57 AM   #63
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester proctor View Post
Top 5 ppvs is pretty arbitrary. Like the other guy says, drawing power doesn't last forever. I mean, I doubt Wlad ever made as much as Holyfield vs Tyson, is Evander entitled to more now? You'd think more recent revenues would be weighted more, cause you know, people would be buying the ppv now and not 5 years ago. Or if not, take the n most recent ppvs from each guy. What should n be: 3, 6, 8? Why?
Including a weighting system actually sounds like an interesting idea
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #64
AlonzoGreene
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester proctor View Post
Yes because using a Holyfield fight from 1997 to determine a hypothetical purse split with Wlad in 2012 is exactly do same as what the OP was doing. Lol.

Sorry the second part I do agree with, the example just had me dying though, but I see where you're coming from.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #65
renyo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGreene View Post
Translation: The data doesn't support my preconceived notion so rather than rethink my hypothesis or provide a reasonable alternative, I rather just critique the analysis and essentially tell you there's not an accurate way do it.

Gotcha.
I've told you how to do it... It's quite simple..

Look at the past year..that drawing power is still current and the only thing that will matter in negotiations. Their popularity changes every month, day, week..

So 3,4,5 years ago have no bearing on today..

Sorry it's not what you want to hear, it's only the truth...
renyo is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #66
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by king khan View Post
But we don't know what percentage they get, or how the revenue is broken down or anything? The only thing we know is how Floyd splits the revenue with his opponent. . . I bet it's something like this: For every buy over 500k, or 750k, or whatever, Floyd splits that PPV revenue. . So that 94 million May/Cotto generated isn't even remotely close to the money he and cotto split 65/35. . .

Even you said you don't know the details of their relationships. . And Floyd has been guaranteed his purse by Golden Boy ever since he came back to fight Marquez. . . When he was asked about it, he got all pissy. . . Saying something lame, random, and irrelevant to the interviewer like "I don't ask you about prenuptial with your wife."

We have no idea how much Floyd is getting from the revenue other than his percentage, and guarantee. . Hell, we don't even know how much Floyd is really making. . Unless we see his tax returns. We really don't know shit other than what Floyd says. . .

Schaefer is the smartest businessman of the lot: Even smarter than Haymon. . So I doubt GBP is putting up all that money, and getting pennies in return. . .
Why do I remember something like that

And yes in the end they could all be lying, the truth really would be what is reported in their taxes. But based on what I've read and what is out there, the clearest picture would be that Floyd is in fact handling the revenues and bearing the risk
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #67
catnthehat
Pac doesn't deserve 50/50
ESB Addict

Good post!! I see exactly what your saying too...Damn good post!
catnthehat is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #68
catnthehat
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt View Post
Why do I remember something like that

And yes in the end they could all be lying, the truth really would be what is reported in their taxes. But based on what I've read and what is out there, the clearest picture would be that Floyd is in fact handling the revenues and bearing the risk
The fighters also took 1/3 of the revenue in the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight.

The guarantee for Oscar was $23,300,000 and Floyd's was $10,000,000.

They then took $46,000,000 of the $137,800,000. Oscar was paid $52,800,000 and Floyd received $26,200,000.

Your post is very informative though.

I may have missed it megavolt but did you include that Arum would also have to come out of pocket for promoting the fight?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #69
catnthehat
ESB Addict

Mosley Pacquiao did 1,150,000 to my understanding.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #70
catnthehat
ESB Addict

Also, Mayweather Hatton did 920,000 PPV buys Mega.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #71
lester proctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Including a weighting system actually sounds like an interesting idea
You better believe TR and GBP would have different ideas as to what weights are appropriate. And both could probably produce convincing, yet contradictory cases. That's because there's no real precedent for this: a fight between the p4p 1a and 1b, both crossover stars who routinely sell over 1 mil. Even Hoya didn't pull 1 mil on auto pilot.
lester proctor is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #72
AlonzoGreene
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyo View Post
I've told you how to do it... It's quite simple..

Look at the past year..that drawing power is still current and the only thing that will matter in negotiations. Their popularity changes every month, day, week..

So 3,4,5 years ago have no bearing on today..

Sorry it's not what you want to hear, it's only the truth...
Looking at the past year is intrinsically flawed though. Mayweather-Cotto sold more than Mayweather-Ortiz, but that doesn't neccessarily means Mayweather is bigger draw now than 8 months ago. Pac-Bradley will more than likely not outsell Pac-Marquez III, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's drawing power diminished.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #73
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The fighters also took 1/3 of the revenue in the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight.

The guarantee for Oscar was $23,300,000 and Floyd's was $10,000,000.

They then took $46,000,000 of the $137,800,000. Oscar was paid $52,800,000 and Floyd received $26,200,000.

Your post is very informative though.

I may have missed it megavolt but did you include that Arum would also have to come out of pocket for promoting the fight?
which fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Also, Mayweather Hatton did 920,000 PPV buys Mega.
I saw an article on boxrec saying that the official HBO release was 850k, but it's not a big deal really, the revenue is still 47 mil which is what counts
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #74
catnthehat
ESB Addict

Default Re: FIGHT REVENUES- a discourse on money, income streams, and trend forecasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloMirani View Post
Flomo: but but but Floyd takes home more money......take the test!

One question....where is it in the queensbery rules that states Packy has to adhere to Floyd's business model? In other words, what right does he have to assume all promotional risk and benefits? He needs to budge....no arum, no pac. Simple as that. And one more thing, use only the more recent numbers....2009-12 would be more reflective of drawing power. Otherwise great effort.
In YOUR opinion that's more recent...common opponents is used because it has no bias. Your way has bias. Using common opponents shows no bias.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #75
catnthehat
ESB Addict

Quote:
which fight?
A Mayweather fight. It would be promoted by Top Rank as well...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum