Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #2041
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Finally , Cotto vs Mayweather , it took me a lot of time 2 get it . A watchable fight , is d fairest thing 2 claim about it , which is quite a lot .
Mayweather was d older man but d much fresher , also seemed bigger in terms of size , reach and muscle mass . No KDs , fairly paced , very few clinches , headbutts and cuts , quite a clean fight .
Pacquiao performed better on paper only if 1 doesn't know how 2 read d paper . Pacquiao fought a 145 Cotto , whereas Mayweather fought a 154 Cotto . If anything this is Cotto's only "loss" . I believe that back in 2007 Cotto would have done better vs Floyd .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #2042
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Yoko Gushiken UD15 Rafael Pedroza

Gushiken:2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,15
Pedroza: 1,13
Even: 14

Gushiken almost totally dominated this one-sided fight but it was no drubbing. Although Gushiken won most rounds pretty clearly, Pedroza never really went away and arguably finished the fight the stronger of the two, attacking in weird arm-punching rushes whilst Gushiken backed up and tried to counter, winning the 15th by virtue of several hard clipping counters that he landed.

By that time though, his power seemed to have dried up a bit. Having had his opponent in trouble in the third, fifth and eighth it seemed only a matter of time before he would put his man in trouble he couldn't get out of, but in spite of the fact that he landed some of his best flush punches late in the fight, Pedroza wasn't really hurt again. Tbf, he seems a tough kid and indeed was only stopped once (by Martin Vargas, ironically) I'm wondering now if Gushiken carried his power late as i'd previously assumed. He definitely wasn't working hard here but his punches for sure lost their pep. In the twelfth, especially, he landed a lot of very hard punches flush but Pedroza rallied and in fact came out and won the thirteenth on my card.

So scorecards aside, a bit of an underwhelming performance. Everyone is due an off-night I suppose, but this does bring up a couple of questions for me.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #2043
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Brian Viloria TKO9 Omar Romero

Interesting this. Viloria is the coming man, looks like the momentum is with him, then out of the woodwork pops a guy he hasn't beaten in two attempts, having lost and drawn with Romero. Naturally enough people were split over this fight.

It looked very different to the first two though. Romero might have been older and Viloria might have been the bigger man more naturally, but it was his maturing into a two-handed fighter that left Romero all at sea. Viloria landed multiple left hooks and jabs that were real trouble for his opponent. The first two were close but the left drove Romero back in the third, his real problem spelt out as they swapped left hooks leaving Viloria unhurt but Romero in bad trouble. Cut, having shipped a lot of hard punches and dropping a point to a foul in the fifth, Romero fought back bravely as Viloria appeared to take the middle rounds off, arguably losing the seventh and eighth (i gave Romero the 2nd and 8th only). This is interesting because he has developed a rep as a fighter that fades in the stretch.

Viloria returned to his trusted right in the ninth and Romero's corner pulled him after he was badly hurt for the second time. I though the move was premature. Had Romero survived the volley, as he did in the fourth, he was arguably beggining to close on the cards.

It's an absorbing fight, and for anyone who hasn't seen him Viloria is a champion worth introducing yourself to.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H8uGDWR8y0[/ame]
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #2044
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Pedroza kind of does that in most of the fights i've seen him in, even though he wasn't that talented and had little skill.

He had a rep as a really big puncher at the time, maybe that was it, along with being really awkward.Seemed to put a certain caution into fighters even if they were boxing rings around him.

Watanabe was the same, dominated, hurt him numerous times throughout the fight, but never quite followed through with it and stayed on the move throughout, giving the odd round away in safety-first mode to recharge as you might do when in with a really dangerous fighter you feel you need to be at your sharpest to engage.

Ballas too really should have beat him widely over 15(he'd done so over 10) but seemed to have a certain caution bred into him.

Reminds me of the way Hagler dealt with Hamsho the first time, winning by a mile but seemingly very cautious about engaging.As if Mustafa was an offensive beast.
lora is offline  Top
Old 05-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #2045
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

probably just not wanting to get cut to shreds in a flurry of headbutts and elbows in that last case though.
lora is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #2046
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

MARCO HUCK SD12 DENIS LEBEDEV

HUCK:2,3,5,8,10,11
LEBEDEV:1,4,6,7,9,12

So I have this one a draw.

Not sure why this has become a little controversial as a result next door, you could score it any one of three ways without getting a serious argument from me. The only round I felt uncomfortable about scoring was the 12th, so for me, if there had to be a winner, Huck was the right choice.

Having said that, there were a lot of close rounds that could have gone either way depending upon your scoring criteria. But definitely not the robbery some tend to make out and an absorbing contest.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #2047
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Isufu Quartey TKO3 Vince Phillips (*2)
unlike d way it reads on paper Phillips tried hard but didn't hurt Quartey .
If they were equal in punching power and punch resistance then Phillips would have been d winner but 6 years older and "naturally" a 1 weight class smaller , Phillips was outgunned and stopped .
Good fight as long as it lasted .
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 AM   #2048
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

Laurent Boudouani TKO Terry Norris .
Norris was d coming 4ward and Boudoani retreated most of d time .
Both seemed overstuffed , especially Boudoani who also seemed this way against Vasquez .
In 1st sight d stoppage looked premature but in d slow replay it seemed more legit . In d video that I have Norris did not seem 2 protest d stoppage and i wonder if he ever did .
Old 05-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #2049
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

HAPPY VICTORIA DAY WEEKEND!!

3 day weekend here in Canada and I celebrating by getting shit faced (almost there...and only 1 beer in but way too much weed ) and watching boxing with the wife (she's very patient)

Fight 1: Ricardo Lopez vs Rosendo Alvarez 2

116-113 Lopez

The showtime commentary comparisons to chavez taylor 1 were fair and this was VERY hard to judge, especially as Lopez is one of my all time favourites. In the end, alvarez's power or more accurate maybe, heaviness of hands demolished lopez's face but didn't win him enough rounds. When Alvarez through and was aggressive, he was able to bully Lopez into the ropes and pound away. Lopez offered no resistance at those stages. However, far too often Lopez and his jab reduced Alvarez's punch output to the point where he could rattle off 5 punches combos with decent accurarcy. Hard to score, damn close, VERY competitive rounds but a tight Lopez win.

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 05-18-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #2050
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fight 2: Wilfredo Gomez vs Salvador Sanchez

Beers-2
Bong hits-2

At time of stoppage, 68-65 Sanchez

How the **** did this go past the first round??! That opener is now on my short list of favourite rounds ever. How did I not watch this fight before? Sanchez is a revelation and his chin and counterpunching are INCREDIBLE. Anyway, Gomez did far better that I thought he would, especially considering the first round. He pulled out those boxing skills and at times, was able to trap sanchez and rattle off combinations. Some good body work to. But sanchez's chopping right hand is a thing of beauty and his counter left hook landed way to often and way too heavily for Gomez to last long. Tremendous, tremendous fight
Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #2051
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fight 3: Basilio vs DeMarco 1 (what's on youtube anyway)

8-1 Basilio

Beers-2
Bong hits-3
Jack Daniels-2

So this is only the portions of the rounds that youtube had but I scored it overwhelmingly for Basilio. Great brawl, fought almost entirely on the inside from what I can see. Basilio won on my scorecard for those digging right hands to the side of DeMarco every time they clinched. His body work as a whole was tremendous and his jab landed with surprising frequently. DeMarco was there the whole time and his right hand had some beef to it but Basilio just outworked him badly in close.

Starting to get tipsy, except some less...reasonable scores soon

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 05-18-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #2052
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fight 4: Carbajal vs Gonzalez 1

Gonzalez 59-54 at time of stoppage

Beers-2
Bong hits-3
Jack Daniels-2
(fight was shorter than i recalled)

Wow, ok this is certainly a fight of the year. Tremendous mini war and my cards do not do justice to how well Carbajal was doing. Gonzalez won many more rounds but every round that didn't feature a knockdown was close. Back and forth war, with amazing inside fighting. Both fighters worked up and down the ladder, attacking body and head. Carbajals punches were MUCH straight and sharper but gonzalez was relentless, drilling head and body with heavy, heavy bombs. carbajal is one of the better counter punchers i've seen of that decade. wonderful knockout and MASSIVE comeback by carbajal (on my scorecard anyway)

Last edited by Nightcrawler; 06-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #2053
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Watched Emile Griffith vs. Isaac Logart.

Scored it thus:

Isaac Logart vs. Emile Griffith : 97-96 Logart
Griffith: 1,2 & 9.
Logart: 4,6,7 & 8.
Rounds 3,5 and 10 even.

A good competitive fight that could have gone either way like many of Griffith's ten round affairs.

Griffith was the slightly quicker and got off to a good start, but then Logart found his rhythm in the middle rounds and started to land the cleaner shots.

Griffith tried to bring the fight to Logart, despite being the smaller man, but I thought Logart continued to land the better shots and didn't get mauled in the clinches (Griffith's tactics after Logart started to control the outside) enough for Griffith to get the verdict.

True to form, Griffith got the decision.

True to form, another Cuban gets no favours in the States.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #2054
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
Fight 2: Wilfredo Gomez vs Salvador Sanchez

Beers-2
Bong hits-2

At time of stoppage, 68-65 Sanchez
Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #2055
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Watched Emile Griffith vs. Isaac Logart..
The only time I don't give your scorecards my full and complete attention:

1) When Griffith is boxing a Cuban

2) When Juan Manuel Marquez is fighting.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum