Old 05-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #61
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Cormier on Josh Barnetts Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersteve View Post
I think people overplay his physical advantages, as much as it's easy to say it's just the reach I think people ignore the fact that he's an incredibly varied and economical striker who is very hard to read, that he has an excellent and heavy shot, that he uses his hips incredibly on the floor and that he's brutal and ruthless whenever he gets a window.

I think he gives most heavies a lot of trouble. Especially if he fills out a bit.
He's unorthodox and difficult to read. But thats the extent of it. Id hardly call him a striker or heavy handed.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #62
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
He's unorthodox and difficult to read. But thats the extent of it. Id hardly call him a striker or heavy handed.
He isn't a KO puncher no, by heavy shot I mean a heavy wrestling shot and he's able to lever people down.
Ubersteve is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #63
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

But he was taking down people whenever he wanted to, now he's facing guys with less grappling credentials

The midget was good enough to out grapple Nick Diaz, the only two guys at WW who beat him in that aspect were Hughes and GSP, 1 & 2 in the ATG terms. Karo is a WORLD CLASS Judoka trained by Gene Lebell and was only take down consistently by GSP, and Georges dominated Trigg more than Hughes could ever dream

Taking down Hardy and clinching with Alves isnt as much of a grappling achievement imo. No doubt GSP has improved as Ive already said. he didnt take Fitch, Kos, or Shields down when ever he wanted to, he chose to keep it standing. Your argument is arse backward unfortunately
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #64
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
But he was taking down people whenever he wanted to, now he's facing guys with less grappling credentials

The midget was good enough to out grapple Nick Diaz, the only two guys at WW who beat him in that aspect were Hughes and GSP, 1 & 2 in the ATG terms. Karo is a WORLD CLASS Judoka trained by Gene Lebell and was only take down consistently by GSP, and Georges dominated Trigg more than Hughes could ever dream

Taking down Hardy and clinching with Alves isnt as much of a grappling achievement imo. No doubt GSP has improved as Ive already said. he didnt take Fitch, Kos, or Shields down when ever he wanted to, he chose to keep it standing. Your argument is arse backward unfortunatley
Alves look really hard to take down coming into UFC 100, I think people forget that. GSP manhandled the poor ****er.

He didn't try and take Fitch, Kos or Shields down, that's where the evolution of his wrestling allowed him to easily keep it standing and employ the biggest disparity in skill.

I am not saying he wasn't a decent all rounder, that has never been my argument, my point is that wrestling was weaker than his stand up and he retrained that as a defective area of his game and made it his focus to the point where it is now the strongest area of his game.

Doesn't matter whether he chooses to take people down or not. There is not a person at 170 who can make GSP fight on his terms, because GSP dictates where the fight goes at all times.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #65
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Fair enough fella, I get you point and I do agree. Id just add the caveat that George only became a good wrestler after he got arm barred isnt exactly true. Maybe the point is that his control of a fight has gotten better
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #66
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

I would say it inspired him to become an excellent wrestler and to make that the focus of his training so much that he was able to dictate where fights went.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #67
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, he went from very good to the best in the business, speaks alot for his character
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #68
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersteve View Post

He didn't try and take Fitch, Kos or Shields down, that's where the evolution of his wrestling allowed him to easily keep it standing and employ the biggest disparity in skill.
How on earth does this make any sense? Why would he employ the biggest disparity in skill when his wrestling is better than everyone's at 170?
In addition how does choosing NOT to employ your biggest strength -his wrestling- equate to evolution of his wrestling?!?!?!
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 05-18-2012, 08:18 PM   #69
Ubersteve
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
How on earth does this make any sense? Why would he employ the biggest disparity in skill when his wrestling is better than everyone's at 170?
In addition how does choosing NOT to employ your biggest strength -his wrestling- equate to evolution of his wrestling?!?!?!
His wrestling is better than their wrestling, but they all have good wrestling. GSP is also excellent on his feet, those three are not, ergo GSP uses his superior wrestling to avoid being taken down and keep the fight where he has the bigger advantage.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #70
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

cormier is a nobody. barnetts going to slay him if someone hasnt already lined his pockets for a flop job
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #71
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
The midget was good enough to out grapple Nick Diaz
Now it's been a while since I have seen that fight, but I don't recall this happening.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #72
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Now it's been a while since I have seen that fight, but I don't recall this happening.
it was stand up for the most part but the only time I recall Nick troubling Sean was with a guillotine. Sherk worked well in the clinch and scored a few TD iirc. But it was a close fight
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum