Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #106
Mr Valleyboy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wales, UK
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Fair enough, I agree to be an true boxing ATM & ATG, to stand a chance of getting in the IBHOF and the big boxing publictions you need the States no question about it.

Everyone knows Pac cos he's Asian and is an advertising magnet in Asia, however, Floyd, B'HOP, Ward The K bros, most people will have no idea especially in S.E.Asia.

Interms of other fighting styles boxing isn't predominatley a western sport it has arguably just the same level of particiaption as in say the US or the UK where it's not a massive participation sport, possiby more partcipation in a country like Thailand that has a stong amatuer team and alot of crossover from their army of Muay Thai fighters. True, in Thailand and Japan Muay Thai MMA and kickboxing probably get more coverage just cos there is more of it. However in Indonesia, the the Philippines, Singapore and Korea I'd say you probabaly get more boxing on. MMA is big in Japan and growing in China where boxing and kickboxing/MT are also growing, but truth is the main TV market for MMA is the west. Thai's arguable the biggest fight nation in Asia don't watch MMA only MT and western boxing which shows live PPV bouts from the States on free on national TV early on Sunday mornings.

People in the west forget that western boxing has a serious pedigree in Asia and is well followed in Japan, Korea, Thailand and the Philippines. What I meant by them not being interested in the western fight scene I meant, the westerns boxing scene as they very rarely get invitied to the party so just get on with their thing. The biggest threat to all the fight games on TV is football/soccer.

Very interesting and I wouldnt argue with any of your points there mate

and how refreshing to have a debate on here with intelligent responses and not have it degrade into name calling etc Ive not been on the ESB forums for long but been a visitor to the site for about 5 years and many of the threads Ive seen since joining seem to collapse into chaos just cos someone cant handle being wrong, trolls or whatever

So Thank You
Mr Valleyboy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #107
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10,910
vCash: 122
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Poles

Everytime they find someone who isnt wobbled by a rangefinder jab he becomes a national hero
DrMo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #108
Chiko_Tech
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
British nations.
Bingo
Chiko_Tech is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #109
skoorydookatron
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 508
vCash: 1768
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Surely a tie between Britain and America.

We both do it.
skoorydookatron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #110
vnyc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Uk
vnyc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #111
gdm
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Britain
gdm is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #112
iamtheman
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 969
vCash: 500
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEROY View Post
Canada
What a tard. The only boxer from Canada I can recall as of late that was hyped and then exposed was Lemieux. Pascal and Bute are doing their thing right now.
iamtheman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #113
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, Engerland.
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 75
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Funny thing is the british 'hyped boxers' actually achieve something.

Hatton 2 weight world champion
Haye 2 weight world champion
Calzaghe 2 weight world champion and undefeated
Froch 2x world champion


lets loook at the USA's hype machine:

Kelly Pavlik.........
Jeff Lacy..........
Chad Dawson......(2x champion now...against a 50 year old that was supposedly past it when he faught clazaghe....4 years ago)
Arran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #114
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Harlem, New York
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
Funny thing is the british 'hyped boxers' actually achieve something.

Hatton 2 weight world champion
Haye 2 weight world champion
Calzaghe 2 weight world champion and undefeated
Froch 2x world champion


lets loook at the USA's hype machine:

Kelly Pavlik.........
Jeff Lacy..........
Chad Dawson......(2x champion now...against a 50 year old that was supposedly past it when he faught clazaghe....4 years ago)
no one ever supposed that either of these three would be some of the greatest fighters ever, and both pavlik and dawson (to a much greater extent) still have the chance to further their careers in a positive light. the jury's still out on two of the three guys you mentioned's careers, so hold your horses. furthermore, three fighters, out of the overwhelming history of american dominance in the sport of boxing, isn't that bad, if they were, aside from jeff lacy, in fact hype jobs.

p.s, call jeff lacy a hype job all you want, but most still use that fight as a qualifier of calzaghe's greatness (as well as a shot roy jones), even though jeff lacy never really proved anything before or after calzaghe other the fact that than he could bang and get gift decisions.
m8te is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #115
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Valleyboy View Post
Very interesting and I wouldnt argue with any of your points there mate

and how refreshing to have a debate on here with intelligent responses and not have it degrade into name calling etc Ive not been on the ESB forums for long but been a visitor to the site for about 5 years and many of the threads Ive seen since joining seem to collapse into chaos just cos someone cant handle being wrong, trolls or whatever

So Thank You
I agree with u mate. It's good to have a debate where it doesn't descend into absolute chaos!

Welcome to ESB and stick around.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #116
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, Engerland.
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 75
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
no one ever supposed that either of these three would be some of the greatest fighters ever, and both pavlik and dawson (to a much greater extent) still have the chance to further their careers in a positive light. the jury's still out on two of the three guys you mentioned's careers, so hold your horses. furthermore, three fighters, out of the overwhelming history of american dominance in the sport of boxing, isn't that bad, if they were, aside from jeff lacy, in fact hype jobs.

p.s, call jeff lacy a hype job all you want, but most still use that fight as a qualifier of calzaghe's greatness (as well as a shot roy jones), even though jeff lacy never really proved anything before or after calzaghe other the fact that than he could bang and get gift decisions.
well i see the kessler win as a better win myself.

and the only reason the usa has dominated is because of home-advantage and the iron curtain, when travelling became easier, and the curtain fell...you havent dominated shit.
Arran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #117
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Harlem, New York
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
well i see the kessler win as a better win myself.

and the only reason the usa has dominated is because of home-advantage and the iron curtain, when travelling became easier, and the curtain fell...you havent dominated shit.
look at the numbers, we still continued to dominate. I mean, this era is considered to be one of the worst for the u.s and we still occupy nearly a third of the top 50 active p4p fighters in the sport. get over it, we're the best.
m8te is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #118
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rugby, Engerland.
Posts: 4,913
vCash: 75
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
look at the numbers, we still continued to dominate. I mean, this era is considered to be one of the worst for the u.s and we still occupy nearly a third of the top 50 active p4p fighters in the sport. get over it, we're the best.
this will be the way it is from now on...the iron curtain aint going up again...it aint gonna take 3 weeks for a british fighter to travel by boat to the usa.
Arran is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #119
m8te
Oh you ain't know?
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Harlem, New York
Posts: 5,068
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
this will be the way it is from now on...the iron curtain aint going up again...it aint gonna take 3 weeks for a british fighter to travel by boat to the usa.
the iron curtain's been down for years now. it's no longer a viable excuse. in fact, it never was. look at the numbers since the berlin wall fell and you'll see that america, by and large has been the most dominant country when it comes to boxing, and that's not even including the commonwealth of puerto rico.
m8te is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #120
wiki minaj
dungeon dragon rah rah
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Default Re: Which nation is the most susceptible to HYPE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
British nations.
I'm a brit, its true we expect our football team to win every world cup even though we think most players in the team are shit..............so we hype up our boxers, especially after the golden age with Eubank, Watson, Benn etc, No we have Kevin Mitchell (snore), Matthew Macklin and Amir Khan, oh and Kell Brook who beat Matthew Hatton which makes him an ATG great already to people who live up north.
wiki minaj is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013