Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 05-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default The what MMA Fights did you watch today/scorecard Thread

We have this in Classic and is extremely useful, fun and informative to remember about the fights, the scorecards, etc.....
If this is not a good idea, no problem....just worth a try. Could be good for this section. I thought would be nice......

In MMA case the fights are smaller and many times there arenīt scorecards, but..Hopefully the mods will sticky this, perhaps, would be great....

When you watch fights and want to talk about it, would be nice to do like we do in Classic, there are many fights from the current era or from the past that I would like to hear more about the scorecards or the opinions about the performances, etc...

Iīll start with more than one.....
A bunch of fights I just watched of the UFC 14 card (with a mini-HW Tournament).....No scorecards this time in my case because all of them were quick fights ....
------------

Kevin Jackson vs Todd Butler

Jackson, an olympic gold medal wrestler against Butler, with his background of Karate.
Butlerīs mobility made him a tough guy to find for takedowns in the first minute, but wasnīt for too long, Jackson got the takedown went for the back and punched Butler until Butler tapped....he quit actually, pretty much all Jakcosn did was punch two times in the side of his head....

Mark Kerr vs Moti Horistein

Easy takedown by Kerr with perfect timing and get passed the guard already, then a vicious brutal ground n pound by Kerr.....John McCarthy stopped the fight and one more win for the Smashing Machine in his good days !

Dan Bobish vs Brian Johnston

Bobish a huge guy, very strong with great wrestling IMO. And Johnston with his Judo background. But hell they got to a brawl first and Bobish landed a huge right hand !
Later Bobish used his wrestling and got the top of the position and started a ground n pound with Johnston against the cage being punched and pressed by Bobishs amazing strenght.....but suddenly when he wasnīt being punched Johnston tapped oddly

Final - Mark Kerr vs Dan Bobish

In the Final of the tournament two great wrestlers an also big and very powerful guys.....probably Bobish the better puncher (very unskilled striker though) but Kerr the better wrestling.
Intriguing.

Kerr running and kicking (afraid of Bobishs right hand possibly)....but then Kerr used his positioning to get the takedown with perfect timing grabing Bobishs leg....and start the domination in the ground to find the positions to punch in the ground and pound....

Weird stoppage, apparently Bobish had an injury (in his eye)....anyway great to see Kerr using his wrestling skills against a guy that also had wrestling skills.....

-----
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: The what MMA Fights did you watch today/scorecard Thread

Nice thread.

Will update as I go along. Have a lot of boxing on at the mo'....check out my YouTube uploads
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
techks
ATG list Killah!
East Side Guru

Location: ......Bit stalkerish to ask where I live don't ya think?
vCash: 85

Great idea! Tend to be wrapped up in boxing and NBA lately though I will stop by here and post every now and then.
techks is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Nice thread.

Will update as I go along. Have a lot of boxing on at the mo'....check out my YouTube uploads

I need to separe a time just to watch your recent uploads......
Old 05-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Haha Im actually on a run of watching old UFC's to stop me going out and spending too much money on booze. Bloody summer

Fisher v Stout @ 58 is on right now, great little scrap

Will edit as I go along, might get more incoherent though
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Fisher v Stout
SD for Sam, decision went the wrong way imo. I scored it 29-28 for Spencer (rds 1 & 2). Sam threw lots of flurries and tried to mix it up with kicks which were mostly blocked or missed, but Fishers jab/rh combo constantly found a home and Spencer was in control on the ground mostly, though Sam did eventually scramble well
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

GSP v BJ Penn 1 at UFC 58
RD 1
Both start off matching each other jab for jab, Penn does a better job of slipping whilst most of BJ's shots are hitting Georges on the arms. Remarkable how many of the punches land at the same time. GSP is doing a good job of mixing it up with kicks, but BJ busts up GSP's eye with a 3 punch combo on the inside not a poke as Rogan claims. Both continue to circle and both miss with big right hands until Penn clips GSP's nose immediately blooding up almost his entire face now. GSP takes advantage of BJ carrying his lead leg too far forward with a double leg kick but as soon as the 2nd land BJ opens up with a powerful fake left hook strong right combo which makes GSP back up out of range. GSP is visibly rattled and there's a long exchange when both swing and miss at range. GSP steps in with a haymaker right, BJ initiates double underhooks and both exchange a few knees to the legs. GSP walks BJ up against the cage, clearly the stronger guy, and continue to trade knees and short hooks and knees to the body. Penn lands the most telling shots and stuffs a single leg attempt with his legendary balance. BJ gets his back off the fence and with 1:30 left on the clock consistently beats GSP to the punch by slipping and countering in classic boxing style to finish out the round

RD 1 Penn

RD 2
Both come out swinging for the second stanza and again Penn lands crisp counter forcing GSp to change levels with leg kicks. Penn lands a stiff uppercut on the inside, GSP grabs double underhooks, pushes Penn to the cage and tries a single leg, Penn pops straight back up, GSP picks him up off his feet and drives his shoulders through Penn to take him to the mat, BJ immediate establishes butterfly guard, GSP fires some half hearted shots to the body. GSP tries to pass to HG, BJ defends, GSP stands up and rains a big hook and goes back into BJ's guard. GSP tries to posture up and pas and BJ takes the opportunity to scrambles back to his feet. Penn again beats George to the punch, but nothing significant lands, GSP is the busier of the two, but BJ slips almost every punch beautifully. George clinches and pushes Penn to the cage, Penn manages to escape when GSP tries to strike, again Penn slips beautifully with out really landing on the counters. GSP looks fresher now and lands 4 stiff jabs and a leg kick in succession, Penn's counters are blocked. GSP lands a stiff left right, clinches and again pushes Penn to the cage. GSP picks Penn up and takes him down again. Nothing significant happens, but Penn is clearly tiring, with the TD and the cleaner shots, Id give this round to GSP

RD 2 Close, but GSP takes it

RD 3
GSP comes out firing and is now landing more mixing it up with low kicks and punches. Penns punches are now sloppy and again he's backed up against the cage. both men are visable tired, but GSp is doing the better job of landing punches and knees. GSP literally firemans lifts BJ from the cage and dumps him on his back. As in the 2nd, BJ gets butterfly to stop GSP hitting him in the head but GSP works the body well with a few deep shots to the ribs. Penn pushes off the hips and gets back up onto his feet and takes a DEEP breath whilst GSP is out of range. GSP fakes a punch, gets double underhooks and pushes Penn to the cage again. Both men exchange a few strikes, but you can tell the pace of the fight is telling on both men. Away form the cage now, both block punches then unexpected BJ shoots for the TD, but GSP stuffs it and ends up with his back against the cage. BJ leg trips GSP but GSP immediately shoots back up. Extended clinch against the cage again, BJ punches his way off the cage GSP counters with a beautifully times double off BJ's jab. Again, Penn tries Butterfly, GSP hits him in the ribs then out of nowhere BJ wraps his left leg around GSP's arm looking for an omaplata. Too little too late as George uses his left arm to hit Penn with elbows, and that closes out the round

RD 3 GSP

Great fight, but Ive often heard it scored as a l'n'p for St Pierre, not the case imo.

this is probably the longest post I'll ever make

Last edited by Stoo; 05-24-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Drunk typo's
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #8
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Thatīs the spirit Stoo :
Old 05-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Took me 45 minutes to watch a 15 minute fight. think I'll be more concise in future, but this is an often debated fight
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Was a great post bro on a fight that in 50 years people will still talking about. Iīll watch some fights tonight and post here.....
Old 05-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #11
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

58 was a great card and when looking at Penns career it's often overlooked that he gave GSP the toughest W of his career. it's also the 2nd one I watched ''live'' as the UFC was shown on 24 hour tape delay back in the day. Not looking forward to Gracie v Hughes though...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Rich Franklin v David Loiseau

Both men start off cautious...**** it, Rich pwns the crow for a UD
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Just watched Sakuraba v Royce in it's entirety, aint going to do an RBR but have to say even though there were long periods of inactivity it is still a great fight. Watching it with hindsight is a bit pointless, but I can imagine the drama of watching it as it happens live. It's an historic moment in MMA, dont let Dana and his ''Griffin v Bonnar'' bullshit convince you otherwise. It's impossable to replicate the aura of Gracie invincibility and what it meant for one man to systamatically run through each and every Gracie he face. I watched it before the age of wiki so I had no idea who would win after watching in awe Royce breeze through the UFC and Rickson doing likewise in PRIDE (2005 was a long time ago, damn I feel old) Back in the day most of the past events were on youtube, and I think the UFC would gain more fans if they werent so strict on this ploicy. I dont see no harm in putting 2 year old fights on youtube personally, totally understand pulling newer fights though

Both proved themselves to be warriors, taking a great deal of punishment in a war of attrition. Saku controlled Royce with his Gi, and those chopping leg/low kicks really took their toll.

I can understand it's not as pleasing on the eye as most fights of today, but this is a real FIGHT and every MMA fan should watch it at least once

Igor v Goodridge, close fight, Igor had trouble with Gary's size early on, but that epic right hand bailed him out of trouble. Igor really was deceptively fast with an underated guard.

Coleman v Shoji, Mark raind down the hammer from guard. The only time Ive ever seen someones rib cage bruise up and bleed as bad is in the Coleman v Frye fight. Mark, on the roids, was a serious puncher on the mat

Fujita v Kerr. Iron head weathered the early storm of epic knees to the body and short punches to the head to take the UD. He even took Kerr down multiple times during the fight and landed some punishing gnp of his own. If anyone has seen the smashing machine, this was really the point where Kerr went form arguably the best in the world, into career freefall.

I love the old schoold tournaments, tells you so much about a fighter. It takes more than just pure skill to win one, something that's lost in today's MMA. Sorry but Im a one night tournament mark, it's what got me into MMA
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #14
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

So Ken Shamrock in his 1st fight back from WWE

I know Ken gets a lot of derision on this forum due to his performances v Tito and his later career slide. But in this one, obviously against poor opposition in Oskas, he really looks sharpe. STRONG leg kicks and good counter straights and taking a few hard shots on the button. Im not saying Ken could compete in the top 10 of the division nowhere days, but he definitely wasn't as 1 dimensional as people make out. The battle with Frye definitely took a lot out of Ken physically. I see no reason why Ken in this version couldn't adequately fill the position Paul Harris currently occupies, and imho is alot more ''evolved''
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
So Ken Shamrock in his 1st fight back from WWE

I know Ken gets a lot of derision on this forum due to his performances v Tito and his later career slide. But in this one, obviously against poor opposition in Oskas, he really looks sharpe. STRONG leg kicks and good counter straights and taking a few hard shots on the button. Im not saying Ken could compete in the top 10 of the division nowhere days, but he definitely wasn't as 1 dimensional as people make out. The battle with Frye definitely took a lot out of Ken physically. I see no reason why Ken in this version couldn't adequately fill the position Paul Harris currently occupies, and imho is alot more ''evolved''
Good post.
I just watched a recent fight between Pedro Rizzo vs Ken Shamrock.....
Obviously very shot Ken wasnīt too competitive, Rizzo with his low kicks destroyed the old timer.....I wonder if in KS prime things would be different.....but not too different.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum