Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Running - Achilles Tendon and Niggles and Foot Pains

Oright Fellas,

How are things ???

Nice - yeah - I'm doing ok too, thanks.

I got a problem.

Been running - all kinds of distances - from short runs - anything up to 7 miles.

7 miles - fine - no problems - nice run.

So recently - I plotted out a new run - on the roads - measured in my car - 9.7 miles.

So - in my mind - built up reasonable well - 7 mile runs.

Now stepping up to 9.7 miles.

I've run - the 9.7 mile run - twice now - both times - my left foot has given me problems - AFTER - the run.

First time - everything was going well - then I got to the big hill - towards the end of my run - getting near home got to the top of the hill - less than a mile to go - felt a sharp tingle up my heel - not painful - but a weird sensation never experienced before on a run. but was able to carry on and - Finished the run ok

Later that evening however - there was pain all in my heel - so bad - it was painful to walk - I thought I had seriously injured myself cos its never happened to me before it this area.

After some internet research I identified the problem as a torn / inflmaed achiclles tendon - I hoped it would not be bad.

Fortunately - it healed within 24-48 hours - and my foot went back to normal - much to my relief.

As a result of this nasty little side effect of my first 9.7 mile run - I went out and bought a ankle strap - to support my ankle - for further runs.

Gave my foot a little rest, then :

I went for a 3.3 mile run - no problems.

I went for a 4.8 mile run - no problems.

I went for another 7 mile run - no problems.

Then - this Sunday - I went for another 9.7 mile run - with ankle strap.

This time - I got through the run ok - I was tired and a bit drained at the end - but my foot held up.

However - later than afternoon / evening - I developed a distinct pain - in my left foot again - this time - though - not in the heel - but under my foot - in the arch of the foot.

This pain - developed worse as the night time came - so much so I was limping around.

By the time it came to crash to bed for the night - I was glad because I was struggling just to walk.

Monday morning came - and when I stepped out of bed and my foot hit the floor - it was even more painful.

So much so - I thought - I'm really going to struggle just to walk today - because every time my foot is on the floor its hurting.

I limped throughout the day - did not go to doctors - because I first give it a chance to heal itself.

I managed to warm up a bit to the day - and walk around a bit better - but limping.

At times it was ok - but sometimes it seemed to flair up a bit.

In the evening - I was driving in my car - and my foot really started to ache - and I was in pain - it seemed to spread up my leg as well.

Towards nightime - it seemed to be easing.

Woke up this morning - and its on the mend now - much better.

However - my problem is - I want to keep running 9.7 mile runs - but I dont want to be suffer these horrible after effects.

Any advice ?
White Tiger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running - Achilles Tendon and Niggles and Foot Pains

Are you right handed
scrap is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 07:31 AM   #3
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

i dont know how its that called on english, i think its orthopaedic cartridges, maybe you need them. OR change your running shoes, that may be problem too.

i have really anoying issues with pain in right foot. i got injured while jumping rope, since then my foot hurts while i`m boxing. i ordered that cartridges, i will get them in few days, i hope that it will be better then.

while you are resting, put ice on your foot, that is helping too, and if you cant run try swimming, that will keep you in shape.
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I would say you have upped your mileage for your long runs by too much and that is why you have suffered an injury. By going from 7 miles to 9.7 miles on your long run you've increased your run by a huge 38%. To avoid injuries you have to gradually increase your mileage about 10% a week at the most. Such a big jump will be a shock to your body and while you may be more than capable of running such distances the sudden added stress you your body will result in injuries.

You also only allowed 2 days for your injury to heal. While the pain had stopped the injury was still present. You need to rest, if the injury is serious you may not be able to run for weeks if not months. I made a similar mistake a few years ago, didn't allow a knee injury to fully heal and ended up not being able to run for about 6 months.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton bomber View Post
I would say you have upped your mileage for your long runs by too much and that is why you have suffered an injury. By going from 7 miles to 9.7 miles on your long run you've increased your run by a huge 38%. To avoid injuries you have to gradually increase your mileage about 10% a week at the most. Such a big jump will be a shock to your body and while you may be more than capable of running such distances the sudden added stress you your body will result in injuries.

You also only allowed 2 days for your injury to heal. While the pain had stopped the injury was still present. You need to rest, if the injury is serious you may not be able to run for weeks if not months. I made a similar mistake a few years ago, didn't allow a knee injury to fully heal and ended up not being able to run for about 6 months.
Thats it.

Running through 9.7 miles - and getting around - is not a problem - I even enjoy it.

Its the after effects - on my foot - the stress that has been placed there - that is the problem.

Fitness wise - it was ok - I didnt even suffer ANY stiffness or fatgiue in my legs the next day - as I am fit from running and all the other gym work like skipping, etc that I do.

Its just the stress on my foot that has caused the problem - its deffo directly related to the distance - because this type of injury has only happened to me twice - BOTH after the same 9.7 mile run.

I thought cause I was fit enought to complete 7 miles solid - a jump up to 9.7 miles was a sensible gradual step.

But obviously my body is telling me something.

Thing is - now I have started doing 9.7 mile runs - I dont want to turn back and degress.

I do plenty of shorter runs too - but once a week I do my long run - which was 7 miles - but now added a extra part to the course which takes it up to 9.7 miles

I acutally want to up my mileage even more - to say 12 or 13 miles (half marathron) - for my long run of the week.

But of course - first I want to get my body use to the 9.7 miles over the summer months.

I will give my foot time to recover - and will not run for the rest of this week over any distance.

But next time - I do complete the 9.7 mile run - I just dont want to be in pain for the next 2 days.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Are you right handed
Yes.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain hook View Post
i dont know how its that called on english, i think its orthopaedic cartridges, maybe you need them. OR change your running shoes, that may be problem too.

i have really anoying issues with pain in right foot. i got injured while jumping rope, since then my foot hurts while i`m boxing. i ordered that cartridges, i will get them in few days, i hope that it will be better then.

while you are resting, put ice on your foot, that is helping too, and if you cant run try swimming, that will keep you in shape.

I recently bought new asics running shoes.

Very comfortable - I broke them in with a good few runs now.

Dont think they are the problem.

I think my foot is just not use to such a long slog of stress.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tiger View Post
Yes.
Then I would get your Hips and Running Gait checked out, it happens quite often over distance running. Its all to do with your dominant side, altering Gait,and altering Hip stability and Foot plant.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Then I would get your Hips and Running Gait checked out, it happens quite often over distance running. Its all to do with your dominant side, altering Gait,and altering Hip stability and Foot plant.
My right foot - both times - not one bit of pain after both runs - all fine.

My left foot though - in agony.

Dont really understand Gait ????
Old 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gait, is stride length and Foot plant basically. Depending on the mechanics of the Hip, governs your stride pattern. Usually the dominant side has a more flexible range and the stride is longer, plus over time balance in the hips is lost. Thats when everything in the Body starts compensating for the problem of helping itself to help with posture of the Head. Then everything goes Tits up, thats when I get a phone call .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
Diamond Eye
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It sounds like you could have plantar faciitis. You got to get your calves stronger.

Take some time off to let it heal.
Diamond Eye is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
mattthenose

I used to have problems like this then I read 'Born to run'. It changed the way I run and how I think about running.

It is a bit of a hippy book, try 'Pose running' if you're not into all that, same sort of thing. Basically teaches you to run on the balls of your feet instead of landing on your heels. I can run miles with no problems at all now.
mattthenose is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
mattthenose

Double post

Last edited by mattthenose; 05-27-2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Double post
mattthenose is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #14
Ulioness

I have foot pain sometimes. I'll wake up get out of bed and my right foot on the right side hurts with pressure for a while.
Ulioness is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing