Velasquez 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: JDS v Velasquez II

I think this fight is happening too quickly. The only upside will be if Cain wins. Then we have a good rivalry.

If this fight happens in the next few months, and we have the same result as the first fight, then it may seem to be less meaningful than if it is put off a bit. It will have much more meaning if Velasquez wins a couple significant fights first.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #32
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

doh, meant to vote Cain
Koa is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #33
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I think this fight is happening too quickly. The only upside will be if Cain wins. Then we have a good rivalry.

If this fight happens in the next few months, and we have the same result as the first fight, then it may seem to be less meaningful than if it is put off a bit. It will have much more meaning if Velasquez wins a couple significant fights first.
Seems to me they are cashing in on the big fight now as opposed to a Chuck v Tito slow build. I think they REALLY want to put the title back on Cain ASAP. JDS is a good fighter and a great guy, but the Mex/Am $'s seems to be the main goal here. Rather Cain lose v the Champ rather than against someone else seems to be the thinking. Cain has been known to pick up injuries as well

They have another potential star in Cormier, who importantly has a good back story and is American, waiting in the wings and decent matches against Werdum, Overeem, and maybe Josh in the meantime until Cormier is ready to face who ever has the belt. But Reem is out for the near future, and the others lack maybe the drawing power and the credibility

Possibly the wrong move giving Cain as shot as you say. And Cain isnt undeserving, but Id rather maybe one more match for him ideally. But it's the biggest money fight, that's all that matters I guess
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
On The Money
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Dos Santos has the two main things for mma success: big, destructive hitter and a water tight take down defence. I don't see anybody in the UFC to match him except possibly Jones.
On The Money is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
And Cain isnt undeserving, but Id rather maybe one more match for him ideally. But it's the biggest money fight, that's all that matters I guess
If you look at the top heavyweights, Cain is definitely the most viable contender. It makes sense that he gets the next shot, because who else can you give it to? Overeem is out. Cormier is tied up for at least one more fight. Werdum is fighting Russow. Barnett just lost to Cormier, and has an injury. Mir just lost to Dos Santos. Carwin hasn't fought since losing to Dos Santos. Nogueira isn't an option with or without his upcoming fight with Congo.

I would like to see Cain face the Werdum/Russow winner. Then let the winner of that fight get the next title shot. Is it fair to let the champ sit without fighting that long? Maybe not if all goes according to plan, but this is mma. Injuries frequently screw up main events.

I don't know who Cormier is fighting next, but I would like to see him face Overeem if he wins his last Strikeforce bout. Overeem will be welcomed back with open arms after his suspension, but I think they ought to at least make him fight for a title shot. Cormier only has 10 fights, but has just logged two impressive victories in a row. If Cormier wins his next fight, I'm sure the UFC will want to make him fight for their banner at least once to hype a title shot.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah I agree. Reem really threw a spanner in the works, seems the plan was Reem then Cain. Not much changed, but a win over Alistair would have built up JDS more than a Mir match. And obviously if Reem won, they'd have a new monster with the belt

But with HW's though it's best not to plan too far ahead as Im sure you know.

Just seems like the belts are stalling slightly, across the board. Too many rematches for the title, not enough time spent building an interesting rivalry in any of them imo. The only real solution is to make them Coaches in TUF...and that jumped the shark after Tito v Ken
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
I think CV could well win the rematch. I see it as a 50/50 fight. He just got caught early in the first fight so it's hard to say how they match up, JDS never broke him down or anything it was just one of those punches.
I see it the same way. JDS landed on Cain before Cain's body had properly adjusted to being in a fight. I wouldn't be surprised if Cain took that shot easily a couple of minutes later, but not as the first significant strike in the fight.

But losing like that MUST affect Cain's mindset. Losing the way he did in the highest-profile fight MMA has ever had. Knowing that JDS can spark him out at any time. Will that make Cain fight even harder next time, or will it make him a little bit tentative?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #38
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
If you look at the top heavyweights, Cain is definitely the most viable contender. It makes sense that he gets the next shot, because who else can you give it to? Overeem is out. Cormier is tied up for at least one more fight. Werdum is fighting Russow. Barnett just lost to Cormier, and has an injury. Mir just lost to Dos Santos. Carwin hasn't fought since losing to Dos Santos. Nogueira isn't an option with or without his upcoming fight with Congo.

I would like to see Cain face the Werdum/Russow winner. Then let the winner of that fight get the next title shot. Is it fair to let the champ sit without fighting that long? Maybe not if all goes according to plan, but this is mma. Injuries frequently screw up main events.

I don't know who Cormier is fighting next, but I would like to see him face Overeem if he wins his last Strikeforce bout. Overeem will be welcomed back with open arms after his suspension, but I think they ought to at least make him fight for a title shot. Cormier only has 10 fights, but has just logged two impressive victories in a row. If Cormier wins his next fight, I'm sure the UFC will want to make him fight for their banner at least once to hype a title shot.

Only problem with this is that it isn't fair to make a healthy champion sit on his ass for most of a year, waiting for the line to get more orderly. Especially not when he has viable fights waiting.

I reckon this time next year the HW picture will be getting pretty competitive, with Cormier and Overeem into the fold.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #39
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Junior dos Santos prefers to fight ‘clean’ fighters like Cain Velasquez, not laboratory experiments

By Adam Guillen Jr. on Dec 19, 6:00p

If you're a 'clean' fighter like Cain Velasquez, you're cool with UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos, who says he isn't one who likes to step inside the Octagon against athletes who look like they were part of a lab experiment.

One of the most-anticipated rematches in recent memory will go down in a little under two weeks as Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos looks to defend his title against the very man he took from over a year ago in Cain Velasquez.

The two heavy-handed brawlers will go toe-to-toe at the promotion's year-end event, UFC 155, which takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Dec. 29, 2012.

If you ask "Cigano," fighting a guy like Cain is just what he prefers.

Not necessarily based on his skills and all-arund mixed martial arts (MMA) game, but, for the simple fact that the Mexican-American fighter is a ‘real' professional and a ‘clean' athlete, unlike other guys who look like they were created in a laboratory.

Junior had this to say about the ‘Sin City' title fight at today's (Dec. 19. 2012) UFC 155 media conference call:

"I prefer to fight against clean athletes and real professionals so Cain Velasquez is one of those guys. He's a real professional fighter and that's a good challenge for me. I know he's very tough and I know how hard I have to train to face him. The other guys, they just say things but that is nothing behind the words and I think guys like me and Cain Velasquez are made at the gym and the other guys are made at the laboratory."

Velasquez earned his much-desired rematch against "Cigano" when he defeated Antonio Silva this past May at UFC 146 while JDS took care of business himself that same night by defeating Frank Mir in the main event.

Now, Dos Santos isn't necessarily naming Alistair Overeem names, so who exactly he's referring to as lab-made fighter, is anyone's guess.

Care to throw out a few names of your own?

Bump, we are 10 days aways, have any opinions swayed?
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #40
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

Reems next to get it after Cigano Ices Velasquez again.
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 AM   #41
slugger3000
You Mad Bro?
East Side VIP

vCash: 9653

Cains not playing no games around here (The Octagon)!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Junior Dos Santos is the KO king though.... I picked Cain 6 months ago but im starting to think twice about that!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
slugger3000 is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #42
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

For me it is still an incredible 50 50 fight. Both went caveman on their recent opponents and showed they are still the 2 best in the division. Overeem features but theres a huge cloud over his credibility.

I'm supporting and picking JDS but I don't think any real weight can be given to the first fight. JDS executed that night. In fact, the first fight probably helps Cain to further realise that he has no business taking any shot from JDS. Cain is still the best wrestler at HW, with the best engine and the most tenacious style. These 3 qualities on paper still poise huge problems for a fighter who isn't a grappler, has good but not necessarily comparable stamina and likes to work at his own pace and range.

The question still remains, what if Cain starts taking JDS down and pounding on him. Can he avoid being put down, does he have an active enough guard on the ground and can he handle the pace Cain will set.

It's a huge fight and one I've had my eye on since the last fight and Cains mauling of Big Foot.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #43
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

I'm going with Cain I just hunch hunch that JDS is going to gas around the 3rd stanza. I think Zuffa are praying for the same result too god knows how Dana is going to react to Cain getting KTFO in the first, again. All those plans to get in to the Latino market will go up in flames, again.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #44
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

JDS takedown defense is airtight he has been what 10 sec on the ground in his whole UFC career?
That says a lot about his takedown defense and Cain went for what looked to me a half assed takedown in their first fight and then got timed and KOd
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #45
Will Munny
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Easy win for JDS. Cormier and OVereem are the only fights that interest me.
Will Munny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum