Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Briggs
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default 8-fight streaks

My boy Froch has been praised for the consistent quality of his last 8 opponents: Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham, Johnson, Ward, Bute.

This is an impressive streak indeed, although two of those fights were losses. I was wondering if any boxing experts could supply examples of 8-opponent streaks (8 different opponents in a row) that, regardless of the results, are of the same or higher average quality than this and of a similar consistency (i.e. no easy fights on paper).

Off the top of my head, Pacquiao's last 8 - David Diaz, De La Hoya, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, Margarito, Mosley, Marquez - is one 8-fight streak that surpasses Froch's (edit: or perhaps not).

Mayweather has an 8-fight streak (which also happens to be his last 8 fights) consisting of: Judah, Baldomir, De La Hoya, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley, Ortiz, Cotto; I think this also meets the criterion.

Any more examples?

Last edited by Briggs; 05-29-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Briggs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: 8-fight streaks

I have to disagree with you on Pacquiao's streak being better than Frochy's, I don't really rate those versions of Margarito, Mosley or De La Hoya personally.
SportsLeader is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Froch>>Pac.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Briggs
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post
I have to disagree with you on Pacquiao's streak being better than Frochy's, I don't really rate those versions of Margarito, Mosley or De La Hoya personally.
I was a bit wary of bandwagon-jumping. Of course I like to think of Froch as a living legend for taking this run of fights.

Margarito was badly beaten by Mosley before facing Pac, but he was still like the T-800 in that fight and managed to hurt Pacquiao to the body so I see that as a pretty strong opponent. Point taken about Mosley, and De La Hoya had obviously lost the ability to pull the trigger like Roach said in the build-up.
Briggs is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Froch 8 > Mannys 8
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
bh8667
Journeyman

also the catch weight that manny made cotto fight him at slightly taints the fight for me
bh8667 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Can pick big holes in Floyd's run too. Huge holes in fact.

You also have to consider the tougher fights they COULD have made and there's a long list with Floyd
trotter is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Briggs
Journeyman

Quote:
Can pick big holes in Floyd's run too. Huge holes in fact.

You also have to consider the tougher fights they COULD have made and there's a long list with Floyd
One can pick holes in any resume. It's pretty rare for two great fighters in their absolute prime to face one another with both having perfect preparation and there being no other extenuating circumstances for the loser.

Anyhow, if Pac and May's 8 opponents are regarded as being weaker than Froch's, am I to take it that (wins/losses aside) Froch's streak is actually the greatest 8-fight run in boxing history? That would be pretty cool if it is, but I was rather hoping that people would post some other candidates apart from Froch, Pac and Mayweather.
Briggs is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Duffy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 217

David Haye vs

Mormeck. The man at CW. 2 World titles on the line.

Enzo Maccarinelli. Unification fight. Haye became the man with 3 World titles on the line.

Monte Barrett. Highly thought of former World title challenger.

Nikolay Valuev. World HW champ and the tallest and greatest weight ever seen from all the divisions combined. Giant. Can't be knocked down.

John Ruiz. Former World champ. World title fight. beat Holyfield easily quite often.

Audley Harrsion/ European champ. Former Olympic gold medal hero. World title fight.

Klitschko. Unification World title fight. At least 4 belts on the line.

Chisora. Unlucky to lose last World title fight. Beat top 4 Helenius.
Duffy is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
trotter
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
One can pick holes in any resume. It's pretty rare for two great fighters in their absolute prime to face one another with both having perfect preparation and there being no other extenuating circumstances for the loser.
That's one thing. Fighting Marquez two weights up from his campaigning weight, Hatton a weight up, Judah coming off a loss (and rubbish performance). It's not a very impressive run of eight at all.
trotter is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
DanielJFiasco
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
David Haye vs

Enzo Maccarinelli. Unification fight. Haye became the man with 3 World titles on the line.

Nikolay Valuev. World HW champ and the tallest and greatest weight ever seen from all the divisions combined. Giant. Can't be knocked down.

John Ruiz. Former World champ. World title fight. beat Holyfield easily quite often.

Audley Harrsion/ European champ. Former Olympic gold medal hero. World title fight.

Mate, you've misread it. The question wasn't can you write down an 8-fight streak. There was a reason behind it, in this case it had to be a very good streak. What you've done is just written 8 fights that happened...
DanielJFiasco is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
David Haye vs

Shut up about Haye
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
Briggs
Journeyman

Mormeck, Klitschko and Maccarinelli (at the time of the fight) are at or above the required average standard.

Valuev and Ruiz are both comparable in quality to the version of Glen Johnson that Froch fought, in my opinion, and that's the weakest opponent in Froch's run.

That leaves: Chisora, who acquitted himself well against a faded Vitali Klitschko and beat Helenius but also lost poorly to Tyson Fury; Barrett who isn't a tomato can but isn't more than a B-level fighter either; and Audley whose merits on paper certainly aren't evident in real life.

Not a bad run (especially considering the lack of quality opponents in the heavier divisions), but not of the required standard in my opinion.
Briggs is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736

Froch's record is good no doubt about it but really isn't as impressive as some people are making out.

Pascal- Good fighter but very inexperienced at the time and really only has one decent win in his career which I believe was a fluke.

Taylor- Was a world class fighter but a few years before Froch fought him and was way past his best when Froch fought him and he was still getting beat before the last 14 seconds. Taylor then went on to loose to Abraham a lot more convincingly than he did to Froch

Dirrell- World class fighter no doubt no one can deny this really, although personally had Dirrell winning the fight

Kessler- True elite fighter no arguments

Abraham- Too small for SMW and not really done anything at SMW to suggest he is world class, a great MW but not really anything more than a fringe world level SMW, and past his best also

Johnson- Not a world class fighter in any way a gatekeeper for the world scene, but as far as world class fighter not a chance

Ward- One of P4P best in world

Bute- Looked sensational in beating C level fighters, but too early to tell if he is truly world class

Now no one can question this is a very solid run of fights, but it isn't fighting 8 world class opponents like some people say and remember Froch did loose 2 of those 8 and IMO 3.
CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
Duffy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamR21 View Post
Froch's record is good no doubt about it but really isn't as impressive as some people are making out.

Pascal- Good fighter but very inexperienced at the time and really only has one decent win in his career which I believe was a fluke.

Taylor- Was a world class fighter but a few years before Froch fought him and was way past his best when Froch fought him and he was still getting beat before the last 14 seconds. Taylor then went on to loose to Abraham a lot more convincingly than he did to Froch

Dirrell- World class fighter no doubt no one can deny this really, although personally had Dirrell winning the fight

Kessler- True elite fighter no arguments

Abraham- Too small for SMW and not really done anything at SMW to suggest he is world class, a great MW but not really anything more than a fringe world level SMW, and past his best also

Johnson- Not a world class fighter in any way a gatekeeper for the world scene, but as far as world class fighter not a chance

Ward- One of P4P best in world

Bute- Looked sensational in beating C level fighters, but too early to tell if he is truly world class

Now no one can question this is a very solid run of fights, but it isn't fighting 8 world class opponents like some people say and remember Froch did loose 2 of those 8 and IMO 3.
Do you think Haye's run is better? I believe so.
Duffy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum