boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #181
Ray Dollars
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Does Froch now have a better record than Calzaghe?

Calzaghe was the better fighter by far but he would cut off his testicles with a rusty spoon to have Froch's resume.

Joe waited too long to become a world name. But i agree he is the only one capable of beating Ward.
Ray Dollars is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #182
santiagoraga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyboyEs***UK View Post
Ottke, Hopkins, Jones , Taylor , Pavlik all in their Prime wanted nothing to do with Calzaghe, even Reid turned Calzaghe down when he was champ only after losing his crown did he want to know.
Good stuff, bro. Your impression of a shameless Calzaghe nuthugger is priceless.
santiagoraga is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #183
leo_messi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Look at the board for the last three nights if you want to see how easy it is to dismiss an entire career and also you might want to look at the top of the board to my response to Poster Kos ,
There really isnt that much between them.
leo_messi is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #184
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

So why doesn't Calzaghe get the respect for the '0' that Floyd Mayweather does?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #185
SimonTemplar
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The OP's question was about record, not talent. Calzaghe's roster is too thin for his record to be judged as being as strong as his natural talent. His claims to be a two-weight champion are pretty thin, to me. I was a big fan, but the LHW thing was about money, getting to call himself a two-weight champion and impressing the mainstream fans at the end, the RJJ fight was a bit of a joke and he looked poor against Hopkins (even with Hopkins arsing about I thought Calzaghe just lost that one). Not saying it was a mistake - it brought him fame and money etc. - but it doesn't do a great deal for his record. Too many of Calzaghe's defences were poor during his SMW run. He's one of my favourite fighters, but also one of the most disappointing as he could have been more.
SimonTemplar is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #186
Old Greg
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Froch for me, the run of fights he's on is top class!
Old Greg is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #187
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Has nobody pointed out the difference between being a better fighter and having a better record?
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #188
leo_messi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
Has nobody pointed out the difference between being a better fighter and having a better record?
Yeah, thats been pointed out a few times now..
leo_messi is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #189
Vano-Irons
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It's not like Taylor was a former light-middle - he was only 8lbs bellow and looked back to his pre-Hopkins best for much of the fight. But you're discrediting how Froch's pressure and body-punching wore Jermain down. Hail mary? Not at all - the finish was brutally effective. He got his man going and he did him in.

Ah revisionist history! The round where Abraham got his jaw broken was his most dominant and, even after that, he was able to outbox Miranda. The only destruction was when Abraham executed him in the fourth round of their rematch.

It's amateur. But yes, Dirrell did make Froch look silly when he was doing everything he could to avoid a fight. It was a close fight that I felt Froch lost, but come on - it wasn't him who didn't want to engage.

One of the top three SMWs beat Froch in a close (but clear) fight. And that's evidence of what? Only two men have beaten the guy.

He did, but Ward is exceptional in many regards. No shame in losing to an elite level talent - if anything Froch did better than Kessler did.

Who he'd handled comfortably for 11 of 12 rounds. Then demolished in a rematch 13 months later. Revisionist history, again. And even if you think that, surely the way Froch took him out is worthy of respect?

There's not much between them if you approach it objectively. Calzaghe has two major wins: Kessler and Hopkins. Froch lacks something at that level, but the quality and frequency of his competition at the top level brings its own respect. The weakest of the batch is the one you haven't mentioned: Pascal. Unproven at the time, and drubbed by a 47-year old since.

Calzaghe's best opponents are very spread out and some of his defences were utterly shameful. But there's some quality in there. Froch has less fights, but his step up to championship class has been relentless, consistent and always competitive. Even in losing widely to Ward he was pulling rounds back at the end.

You've been very unfair on Froch, I'd say. I do think Calzaghe is the BETTER fighter, but I'd say Froch is the more PROVEN.
pretty much agree with all of that. I'm surprised we didn't get the 'pascal was weight drained' ****.

Reid, Dodson, Magee and Adamu are pretty good domestic wins as well
Vano-Irons is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #190
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_messi View Post
Yeah, thats been pointed out a few times now..

pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #191
powers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Name 3 prime world class fighter calzaghe fought? Only kessler and overated lacy.calzaghe got the frank ****** treatment fighting old and past it fighters.froch has fought well better level fighters.and ward is better than calzaghe would of been like mayweather v hatton if they would of fought
powers is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #192
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirva View Post
The one blemish on Frochs record (apart from ward and kessler was a fight I actually think he won) is Calzaghes biggest win. That might tip it in Calzaghes favour.

However, if you take Eubank, Reid, Kessler, Lacy, Jones and Hopkins as Joes best wins you have 3 fighters whose best days were clearly behind them and then reid, kessler and lacy.

Compare that with pascal, taylor, johnson, abraham, bute. johnson and taylor were past their best so you take bute, abraham and pascal.

I think Frochy has a better record at this stage.
Really shows how little you know

Pascal did nothing at SMW and wasnt a top world rated SMW
Taylor was 1-2 in his last 3 fights and done nothing at SMW
Dirrell had done nothing at SMW, his biggest win was Oganov
Abraham was coming in off a loss and done nothing at SMW
Johnson was a SMW journeyman who has lost more than he has won at SMW and done nothing at the weight
Bute was a good win but no better than Lacy and Lacy had fought better comp, and not as good as Eubank or Kessler

Reid was a SMW champ and world rated at SMW with a better SMW resume than Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham, Pascal and Johnson and beaten better fighters than Bute had beaten overall

Kessler beat Froch and is the best SMW Froch has fought when coming off a loss, unlike Calzaghe who beat prime undefeated Kessler

Hopkins was beaten sandwiched between his best wins of Tarver, Wright and Pavlik and beat Pascal also.

Lacy had a better win than any Bute had over R Reid who even though faded was still world class and had looked unlucky against Ottke, one of the best SMWs ever and had beaten undefeated Magee, flooring him 4 times. Thats Magee whos now WBA int champ who was only a point behind on 2 cards against Froch going into round 11.

Eubank was a better win than Bute then you also have -

Woodhall was a SMW champ and world rated at SMW with a better SMW resume than Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham, Pascal and Johnson and beaten better fighters than Bute had beaten overall

Mitchell was a SMW champ and world rated at SMW with a better SMW resume than Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham, Pascal and Johnson and beaten better fighters than Bute had beaten overall

Brewer who was still world rated and had been a SMW champ

Veit who was world rated was a SMW int champ and had a better SMW resume than Pascal, Taylor, Dirrell, Abraham, Johnson

Plus the other top 10 rated SMWs like Bika, Starie, Manfredo, Sheika, Mkertchyan etc

Mkertchyan even has a better SMW win than Johnson, Taylor, Pascal etc

What does look good for Froch is how he has been on the road and beating Bute coming off a loss but he hasnt a better resume than Calzaghe
bailey is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #193
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoraga View Post
Good stuff, bro. Your impression of a shameless Calzaghe nuthugger is priceless.
If it gives you satisfaction to believe or vision that, What can i say.

I`m a fan of both fighters and think if Froch keeps this new sharpness and focus he could give Ward a tough 2nd fight
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #194
MIK1000
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good thread this.

IMO Calzaghe's win over Hopkins at Light Heavy is massive when you consider what Bhop has done since then and showed he wasn't totally shot.

Froch obviously has the names stacked up higher though so I'm not sure who wins in this debate.

Head to head though, IMO Calzaghe is the much more accomplished fighter and showed this in beating a fresh Kessler.
MIK1000 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #195
Little Tyson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron87 View Post
Froch won't beat kessler.
Fair point, although in my eyes Froch will do a much better job this time around and when he sees Kessler failing he won't hesitate to jump in on him this time unlike the first one.
Little Tyson is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum