Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Yeah, what a dick Frank was! He wanted more dates for his fighters on TV so he set up his own channel. Yeah, not pro-active, just throwing his dummy out!

You are a titanic ****.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
Klitman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Frank is also able to showcase a larger pool of his fighters as the channel tends to show at least 7 fights as apposed to sky and channel 5 showing 3 if your lucky.
Klitman is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Yeah, what a dick Frank was! He wanted more dates for his fighters on TV so he set up his own channel. Yeah, not pro-active, just throwing his dummy out!

You are a titanic ****.

your a strange one, again I know its difficult for you!

If he put the cards on Sky in the first place it we probably wouldnt be here, he didnt, infact he put shit cards on PPV.

Sky initially got sucked into it until they realised.

When Sky said nah, we only want quality cards and no longer PPV, YES Frank through his dummy out! Its clear for all to see......or is it pictures you need? lets look through the round window!
rampant is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
your a strange one, again I know its difficult for you!

If he put the cards on Sky in the first place it we probably wouldnt be here, he didnt, infact he put shit cards on PPV.

Sky initially got sucked into it until they realised.

When Sky said nah, we only want quality cards and no longer PPV, YES Frank through his dummy out! Its clear for all to see......or is it pictures you need? lets look through the round window!
Sky have never cared about quality cards, all they cared about was revenue. If Frank's PPVs had generated money, they'd still be on.

Also - it's "you're" "it's" and "threw".

The reality was that Sky wouldn't offer him the dates, a practice it has continued now only favouring it's in-house promoter, Matchroom. So Frank did a smart thing - if you can't get a game, make your own game.

If you weren't such a retard you'd figure it out.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

Only the smart thing IF Boxnation makes money, and if he doesn't lose a lot of fighters don't want to leave due to lack of exposure.

I realise they are linked (more subscribers, more exposure, more money etc) however at this moment in time it doesn't look like the smart move from Frank.
Fighters not being paid, high profile fighters wanting to leave to fight on SKY, Box nation struggling to appease its subscribers. It anything happens to the Chisora/Haye fight I think he'll be facing a real shit storm

I would say we will be able to answer the question with more certainty over the next year or so.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #21
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sky have never cared about quality cards, all they cared about was revenue. If Frank's PPVs had generated money, they'd still be on.

The reality was that Sky wouldn't offer him the dates, a practice it has continued now only favouring it's in-house promoter, Matchroom. So Frank did a smart thing - if you can't get a game, make your own game.

The fact is he puts shit cards on and still is!

I dont care about my grammar Im not on a school forum.

What you talking about threw? how do you look threw the window? or were you implying you are going to throw yourself out the window?
rampant is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #22
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
Only the smart thing IF Boxnation makes money, and if he doesn't lose a lot of fighters don't want to leave due to lack of exposure.

I realise they are linked (more subscribers, more exposure, more money etc) however at this moment in time it doesn't look like the smart move from Frank.
Fighters not being paid, high profile fighters wanting to leave to fight on SKY, Box nation struggling to appease its subscribers. It anything happens to the Chisora/Haye fight I think he'll be facing a real shit storm

I would say we will be able to answer the question with more certainty over the next year or so.
What was the alternative?

So many pseudo-businessmen on this forum, yet none who seem to grasp basic call and response. Frank couldn't get the dates he wanted and needed. So he created a platform where he could.

It's a gamble, like all business ventures, but quite a few people on here said "Won't last three months" and it's still here.

TV channels are long-term ventures. I keep saying this because people seem a bit thick and don't remember, Sky was making losses ten years after it first started. It was a long-term investment for News Corp and its other shareholders.

It might take three years for a single channel to become fully self-sufficient, but I think it focused on the right things to grow - a steady stream of high-quality international fights, some decent domestic stuff, the Bunce hour, and now a big marquee event to boost numbers.

People just need to stop proclaiming its doom and see what happens. For my money, I think it was the right thing for Frank to do.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #23
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
The fact is he puts shit cards on and still is!

I dont care about my grammar Im not on a school forum.

What you talking about threw? how do you look threw the window? or were you implying you are going to throw yourself out the window?
I referring to an earlier post, sorry I wasn't clear.

Quote:
It wasnt really happening before then! thats what kicked it all off! VVarren through his dummy out!
Frank puts on good and bad cards, same as any promoter. He certainly doesn't put on the shit that Maloney often does!
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

VVarren was always the main man for Sky so why did that change?
rampant is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #25
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

I'm not debating that the quality of many of Frank's cards was beyond suspect. But you're making out like going to BoxNation was some foolish decision when it was the only real option he had left. Sky had its cards on the table with Matchroom, he didn't have the leverage it does with other content.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #26
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict

DFTaylor hates Hearn shocker.

DFTaylor defends ****** shocker.
glue glove is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #27
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue glove View Post
DFTaylor hates Hearn shocker.

DFTaylor defends ****** shocker.
I know this is often too subtle for idiots like you, but I'll try and keep it simple. I don't like Frank in the slightest, but some people hate him on principle rather than on evidence.

For most of the last decade Frank was the only guy keeping boxing on TV. The fact Sky has the position it has now is largely down to him, as well as the masterful job he did with Hatton.

I don't hate Hearn at all. I actually quite like him and I think it's good to have some competition in the sport. But let's also balance that up - he was largely involved in Haye-Harrison, a fight many on here still complain about. He's been pivotal in Carl Frampton's less than inspiring TTG-type opponents.

My point is, he's just another promoter. He seems more interested in protecting his relationship with Sky than genuinely growing the sport. That's fine, but he's not the boxing messiah. If it comes down to it and he can make a fortune putting on shit, he will.

He's already done it - it's called Prizefighter.

On balance, Hearn gets too much credit for taking other promoters' fighters and watching them lose. Frank gets too little credit for building some of these guys from scratch.

That make sense?
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm not debating that the quality of many of Frank's cards was beyond suspect. But you're making out like going to BoxNation was some foolish decision when it was the only real option he had left. Sky had its cards on the table with Matchroom, he didn't have the leverage it does with other content.
Understood, I guess he didnt really have too much option but It may well have been a bad option! Not all of his fighters warrant part of a TV bill but he wants them to be. We dont know all the ins and outs of his dicussions with Sky.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #29
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Right, I guess he didnt really have too much option but It may well have been a bad option! Not all of his fighters warrant part of a TV bill.
Maybe not, but I like having the option to watch lots of fighters.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #30
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

Quote:
What was the alternative?
People just need to stop proclaiming its doom and see what happens. For my money, I think it was the right thing for Frank to do.
But surely that's the point of a forum where you can discuss aspects of interest on which you don't necessarily agree?

Do you think Box Nation has the backers to run for the next 2-3 years making a loss?
Also don't you consider the reaction from some of his stable since the migration over to this channel to be a significant risk in the short term?
flatulent_bob is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum