boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
Bajingo
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,283
vCash: 1479
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

The buture's in good hands.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Bajingo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Maybe not, but I like having the option to watch lots of fighters.
Fair enough, Im also interested in domestic fighters and actually like the idea of box academy as I dont want to see them on undercards until they are a genuine prospect.

Saying that though I have enjoyed following Eubank Jnr!
rampant is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
But surely that's the point of a forum where you can discuss aspects of interest on which you don't necessarily agree?

Do you think Box Nation has the backers to run for the next 2-3 years making a loss?
Also don't you consider the reaction from some of his stable since the migration over to this channel to be a significant risk in the short term?
Yeah, and that's all I'm doing. But the internet seems to create a tsunami of:

OMG! WTF! DIZ WILL NEVA WORK! LOLZ!

There were posters, like leforge, who basically derided it from the second it existed. That's daft when, on the whole, it puts more boxing in reach. How could that be a bad thing?

The argument was that it took more boxing from Sky, but it doesn't seem to want more boxing.

If Frank is failing to pay his stable (and we've never had that verified by any legitimate source), then they are within their rights to tell him to get ****ed. It's shameful.

I don't believe BoxNation is an issue, I think that some fighters (like DeGale) are just ****ed off in general. He's a primadonna anyway, and sells next to no tickets. No big loss.

But Bellew is a different case. I'm not sure whether it's Frank's reluctance to get him a Cleverley rematch (even though he didn't deserve the first one, IMO), or just being a bit of a drama-queen - but that's a genuine loss to Frank.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #34
gashalasha7
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
What was the alternative?

So many pseudo-businessmen on this forum, yet none who seem to grasp basic call and response. Frank couldn't get the dates he wanted and needed. So he created a platform where he could.

It's a gamble, like all business ventures, but quite a few people on here said "Won't last three months" and it's still here.

TV channels are long-term ventures. I keep saying this because people seem a bit thick and don't remember, Sky was making losses ten years after it first started. It was a long-term investment for News Corp and its other shareholders.

It might take three years for a single channel to become fully self-sufficient, but I think it focused on the right things to grow - a steady stream of high-quality international fights, some decent domestic stuff, the Bunce hour, and now a big marquee event to boost numbers.

People just need to stop proclaiming its doom and see what happens. For my money, I think it was the right thing for Frank to do.

agree
gashalasha7 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 498
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Yeah, and that's all I'm doing. But the internet seems to create a tsunami of:

OMG! WTF! DIZ WILL NEVA WORK! LOLZ!

There were posters, like leforge, who basically derided it from the second it existed. That's daft when, on the whole, it puts more boxing in reach. How could that be a bad thing?

The argument was that it took more boxing from Sky, but it doesn't seem to want more boxing.
I'd agree wholeheartedly on this point.

Quote:
If Frank is failing to pay his stable (and we've never had that verified by any legitimate source), then they are within their rights to tell him to get ****ed. It's shameful.

I don't believe BoxNation is an issue, I think that some fighters (like DeGale) are just ****ed off in general. He's a primadonna anyway, and sells next to no tickets. No big loss.
My only concern with Boxnation is that promoters will refuse to make fights unless they are to be shown on their preferred channel.
With Boxnation Frank cannot possibly allow his boxers fight elsewhere even if it is the right move for everyone apart from the Box nation investors.
Therefore if he had any intention of making Clev/Bellew II there is no way he could agree for it to be on SKY even if that is in the best interests of his boxer.
I just hope a way is found to make the domestic matches we need to grow the sport in this country. The casual boxing fans remember Benn/Eubank/Watson and I think its these big domestic matchups that would rekindle their interest in televised bouts.

Quote:
But Bellew is a different case. I'm not sure whether it's Frank's reluctance to get him a Cleverley rematch (even though he didn't deserve the first one, IMO), or just being a bit of a drama-queen - but that's a genuine loss to Frank.
Bellews style is a huge draw, as well as his personality. Fans either love him or hate him, and its that which is great for domestic televised fights.
While not as personable I think this is where Frank is missing a big trick allowing this feud with DeGale to continue.
Everyone doesn't need to love him, love to see him get beaten is just as popular.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #36
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
My only concern with Boxnation is that promoters will refuse to make fights unless they are to be shown on their preferred channel.

With Boxnation Frank cannot possibly allow his boxers fight elsewhere even if it is the right move for everyone apart from the Box nation investors.
Therefore if he had any intention of making Clev/Bellew II there is no way he could agree for it to be on SKY even if that is in the best interests of his boxer.
We ended up with that with Sky and Ch5, because of Maloney and Hennessey. We've already seen Hearn refuse to let his fighters be interviewed on BN.

It's not solely Frank that's the issue. Let's say Hatton agrees to broadcast on BN or Ch5. Can you see Hearn allowing Frampton on to either of those platforms to fight Quigg, especially with what must be a fairly restrictive deal with Sky?

This sort of thing is a shame. But I see hope - I think Frank is aiming to build the channel up as a going concern then sell it to Sky.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #37
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

DFTaylor angrily reacts to opposite opinion shocker.

GG says chill the hell out.

Hearn is here, deal with it.
glue glove is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #38
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue glove View Post
DFTaylor angrily reacts to opposite opinion shocker.

GG says chill the hell out.

Hearn is here, deal with it.
GG stupidly assumes DFT is angry. DFT says stop being stupid.

Read my post more clearly, champ - I have no issue with Hearn per se.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
We ended up with that with Sky and Ch5, because of Maloney and Hennessey. We've already seen Hearn refuse to let his fighters be interviewed on BN.

It's not solely Frank that's the issue. Let's say Hatton agrees to broadcast on BN or Ch5. Can you see Hearn allowing Frampton on to either of those platforms to fight Quigg, especially with what must be a fairly restrictive deal with Sky?

This sort of thing is a shame. But I see hope - I think Frank is aiming to build the channel up as a going concern then sell it to Sky.
Matchroom fighters have been on other cards before.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #40
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
Matchroom fighters have been on other cards before.
That's neither here nor there, I'm just making the point that the landscape has changed due to Sky picking a preferred promoter.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #41
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I don't believe BoxNation is an issue, I think that some fighters (like DeGale) are just ****ed off in general. He's a primadonna anyway, and sells next to no tickets. No big loss.
I guess the question would be how bad a promoter must you be if you cannot make an Olympic Gold Medalist popular?

Plus 18,000 at the 02 shouldnt be sniffed at.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #42
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
That's neither here nor there, I'm just making the point that the landscape has changed due to Sky picking a preferred promoter.
I am not saying its right or wrong but it was time to try something different and since the new contracts with the MO were handed out 2 years ago Matchroom were the only ones to deliver on a regular basis.

I just cannot understand the sympathy for the Hattons there cards were never great.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #43
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

It's never ever a good idea to give a promoter a monopoly. It always leads to a drop in standards. It's the same issue with Top Rank, GBP, etc. Soon as HBO gives them secured dates before agreeing the fights, you get a big headliner in an uncompetitive match and a **** undercard.

Have Matchroom really delivered?

The sympathy for Hatton is because he has a decent stable, is obviously developing a stable, and along with Frank is responsible for the boxing brand being strong on Sky.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,403
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
I guess the question would be how bad a promoter must you be if you cannot make an Olympic Gold Medalist popular?

Plus 18,000 at the 02 shouldnt be sniffed at.
I'm not sure what you're referring to with the second part, but it's not really Frank's fault that DeGale has gone nowhere. The guy comes across as a complete ****, so I think the media just lost interest in him.

He was out on Sky, on big cards, and he's generally looked **** in his fights.

It's looking like Saunders will be the star from the Olympic bunch, IMO.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #45
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 500
Default Re: the future of british boxing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
It's never ever a good idea to give a promoter a monopoly. It always leads to a drop in standards. It's the same issue with Top Rank, GBP, etc. Soon as HBO gives them secured dates before agreeing the fights, you get a big headliner in an uncompetitive match and a **** undercard.

Have Matchroom really delivered?

The sympathy for Hatton is because he has a decent stable, is obviously developing a stable, and along with Frank is responsible for the boxing brand being strong on Sky.
Yes but I would say that was a HBO issue. As long as the quality control of properly maintained by Sky TV and they have final say

For the right fight they let there guys go on other promoters shows. Harrison vs Haye, McCloskey vs Khan, Barker vs Martinez. Also shows there prepared to take a punt. Put any of the other promoters in charge of those 3 at the point they signed for those fights and we would have seen European title defences for another 2 years.

I would say over the last 2 years Matchroom have delivered. Whatever you think about Haye vs Harrison its sold out and got mega viewing figures. McCloskey got in witBrook vs Hatton, Ndou and Jackeswiek, Barker got a world title fight, Rees is European champion, Froch got Bute in England after the super 6. There smaller cards have also been good 50-50s like Purdy vs Lynnes. Prizefighter also brings in the viewing figures.

How many big shows have Hatton and Maloney put on in the last 2 years?

Hattons only big show has been June 16th.
Maloney had the Price fight last month.
****** ditched them and he kept pulling shows anyway.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015