boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default How much does Vitali's comeback add to his legacy?

Vitali retired at age 33, with a record of 35-2 (34). His two most significant fights were stoppage losses due to injury, with Klitschko fully conscious and ahead on all scorecards. Though Byrd legitimately won the fight, most observers feel that Vitali had dominated him before the injury. The Lewis loss was a classic fight against a top-level ATG that did nothing to harm Vitali's legacy. After Lewis turned down a rematch and retired, Vitali won the WBC belt and defended twice in emphatic style, establishing himself as one half of the division's dominant force. Then he retired due to a growing list of injuries. So that was a good career for the big Ukrainian.

Anyway.

After four years away, he came back at age 37 and immediately challenged the consensus #2 guy in the division, a powerful pressure fighter whose only loss was to the reigning champion and who had gone 6-0 against good competition since. Vitali won basically every minute of every round and became the first man to stop Sam Peter.

In his comeback Vitali has gone 9-0 (6) against a variety of styles. He doesn't have a good division, but he tries to fight the best competition available. He has remained absolutely dominant against average to lesser competition up until the age of 40.

SO.

How much does Vitali's 2nd career help his historical standing? He still lacks career-defining victories against ATGs, but coming back after such a long layoff and being so dominant against mediocre competition has to add a lot. There aren't many fighters in HW history who could have taken 4 years off, returned at age 37 and remained undefeated against Vitali's competition for the next three years.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
cuchulain
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How much does Vitali's comeback add to his legacy?

I believe his second career is very significant to his legacy and will enhance it considerably. I have him s****ing the bottom of the top twenty, and certainly wouldn't have him so high had he retired after Danny Williams.

I feel the same way about Foreman. His first career, while good, was not something that would necessarily have made him a top 10. I think his recapture of a HW title sealed the deal.

And Hopkins' MW career was very decent, but it was his resume post-Taylor that has brought him legendary status.

Klitschko is not quite up there withe Foreman or Hopkins, but the point is the same.

The comeback has certainly enhanced his legacy.
cuchulain is online now  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
Tin Man Waldo
Freakishly Fragile
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackoff
In his comeback Vitali has gone 9-0 (6) against a variety of styles. He doesn't have a good division, but he tries to fight the best competition available. He has remained absolutely dominant against average to lesser competition up until the age of 40.

There aren't many fighters in HW history who could have remained undefeated against Vitali's competition for three years.

omfg fat bum crybaby cris areola coward ***** kevin johnson eurobum albert snowski dead body ov shot 137 yr old shot shannon briggs fat glass kneed burger king ov bums olliander solis n a china chin feather fist lightheavy thomas adameck who hurt by every1 ov d bums he cherrypicks n you dare 2 call dis **** d best comp available laughable
Tin Man Waldo is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
smitty78
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man Waldo View Post
omfg fat bum crybaby cris areola coward ***** kevin johnson eurobum albert snowski dead body ov shot 137 yr old shot shannon briggs fat glass kneed burger king ov bums olliander solis n a china chin feather fist lightheavy thomas adameck who hurt by every1 ov d bums he cherrypicks n you dare 2 call dis **** d best comp available laughable
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfUU6coziu4[/ame]
smitty78 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

It tended to show folks that had not watched his whole career that the guy was a pretty good fighter. And that he was a guy with a trait not given much respect in the overall scheme of things--he knew how to win fights.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Asterion
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
I believe his second career is very significant to his legacy and will enhance it considerably. I have him s****ing the bottom of the top twenty, and certainly wouldn't have him so high had he retired after Danny Williams.

I feel the same way about Foreman. His first career, while good, was not something that would necessarily have made him a top 10. I think his recapture of a HW title sealed the deal.

And Hopkins' MW career was very decent, but it was his resume post-Taylor that has brought him legendary status.

Klitschko is not quite up there withe Foreman or Hopkins, but the point is the same.

The comeback has certainly enhanced his legacy.
Definitely. His comeback is a big part of his legacy.
Asterion is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

I think his comeback is what makes him one of the significant heavyweights.
DonBoxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum