Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
FastHands(beeb)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Hagler's Greatest Trait

Imo it's impossible to highlight just one...just a truly magnificent great fighter...

For me, if there was aticklist for what greatness in boxing means, Hagler just about ticks as many boxes as can be ticked...I'm nearly 50 (it hurts typing that!) and Hagler is my favourite fighter of my lifetime...
FastHands(beeb) is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When Hagler became champ a few people tried ****ing in his ear about leaving the Petronellis..."they'll rob you blind. they're white devils" etc etc. Hagler's reply was "well where were you when I was struggling? did you help me put food on the table? No. well the Petronellis did. so...FU"

Besides the well known traits that made Hagler Hagler, his belief in his himself (and the Petronelli's) was yet another factor in his long term success
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #18
drunkenspaniard
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
When Hagler became champ a few people tried ****ing in his ear about leaving the Petronellis..."they'll rob you blind. they're white devils" etc etc. Hagler's reply was "well where were you when I was struggling? did you help me put food on the table? No. well the Petronellis did. so...FU"

Besides the well known traits that made Hagler Hagler, his belief in his himself (and the Petronelli's) was yet another factor in his long term success
I truly do think loyalty speaks volumes of a person.
drunkenspaniard is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

He was ****ing nails.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Very impressive, unlike guys like Donald Curry, who ditched Dave Gorman, the man who was with him on the way to the top.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hagler's conditioning and his chin...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It used to be said of Hagler that he was very good at so many things, while not being truly great at any one thing.

While that's perhaps too simple to be true, there is a shred of truth there. I don't know that he had any one standout trait. He had a ridiculous chin, resolve in truckloads, superb combination puncher, good power, excellent jab, very strong, and a tremendous work ethic. All of that will take you a very long way.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
Determination or mental toughness.

He had an ability to take a setback and get stronger from it.

He also like Joe Louis was a master of adjustments and was much more effective in rematches.
I agree, and also an almost disdain for losing. He had an almost private thing about him where he was all alone. Later after boxing he came out of his shell, but when he was younger I think he went into a shell as a way to focus.

One thing about Hagler unrelated to this thread which surprises me about him. When he was younger and fighting he didn't seem to deal much with other fighters and was into himself like I said, yet now I notice he goes to the Hall of Fame events and really appreciates the history and sport of boxing and everything about it's history. I have seen pictures of him hugging other legends like Arguello and Pryor. I was impressed. He lets his guard down and appreciates the sport. There are pictures with him and Arguello which shows the respect and warmth they felt about each other. Let me find one of the pictures. I found it, this picture is on Marvin's own website. Just shows me a great side of him I never saw when he was fighting. He loves boxing and everything about it's history.[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #24
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Great pic. I'd say Marv was so focused on his career that during it he never really thoiught much about how other fighters saw him. Obviously there was a tremendous amount of respect there

I've read where Marvin said he and half brother Robbie Sims used to share a room when growing up. He was the neat freak and Sims was the messy one. He used to make Sims clean his own half of the room as he hated mess. Somehow I can't imagine younger brother complaining too much
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

I admire the hell out of Hagler for this!
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #26
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Hagler was an excellent all round fighter.........I think, Stonehands89, once said that Hagler was perhaps the most well rounded and complete fighter in history.

He had one thing going for him that Duran and others, never. He could switch easily between southpaw and orthodox.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #27
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Hagler was an excellent all round fighter.........I think, Stonehands89, once said that Hagler was perhaps the most well rounded and complete fighter in history.

He had one thing going for him that Duran and others, never. He could switch easily between southpaw and orthodox.
and he did the switching so effectively. A guy like Bramble could switch, but he was not the fighter Marvin was obviously. And Marvin had a 75 inch reach, which was long.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #28
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

On top of his unusally long reach for his height he'd leap forward with the jab. it was like a javelin
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #29
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
On top of his unusally long reach for his height he'd leap forward with the jab. it was like a javelin
he had good timing with that when he lept in the air. Hagler had a quality like Chavez. They seemed to have disdain for anyone who hit them and it would wake them up. Same type of denial that anyone could beat or hurt them.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 06-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #30
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Being Marvelous...
TBooze is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum