Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #166
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb vs. Sugar Ray Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher3 View Post
is greb credited with adapting during fights? he will have never seen anyone like robinson b4

what truth do you guys give to the idea greb was badly matched against fighters he couldn't outspeed?
K,during his great career Harry Greb beat everyone he fought,and was considered the best MW of his times,ND bouts or not...OF COURSE there are certain STYLES that create problems for every fighter who ever lived...That is the nature of the beast...Ali had his Norton, Louis had his Godoy and Conn, Robinson had his Servo and Abrams, but credit should be given to them that they still overcame these styles and prospered...
Greb's main theme was unblinding speed of hand and foot,and he overcame these problems cause he had other attributes in his ****nal that mitigated
his opponents best asset,speed ! cheers...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #167
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
...Ali had his Norton, Louis had his Godoy and Conn, Robinson had his Servo and Abrams, but credit should be given to them that they still overcame these styles and prospered...
definatley agree with this, the difference between good and great.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #168
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Harry Greb beat larger fighters than Kid Gavilan ever would dream of tackling. If He had to Harry Greb had the physical strength to cope and
manhandle heavyweights if necessary...Along with tremendous speed with his volleys and foot speed which was described as "rubberlike",in his ability
to bounce away from danger when required...He was held in "AWE",by his
peers, in a golden age of fighters who would fight almost every two weeks
to earn a living,and he was the best P4P fighter of his times....
So of this Greb nonsense reach epic levels... WHICH HW did Greb "manhandle" around the ring.. are these the same "HW" that Jeffries manhandles around the ring? Robinson is not only the best fighter that EVER lived.... he would beat Greb more times than not... It's really that simple.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #169
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
So of this Greb nonsense reach epic levels... WHICH HW did Greb "manhandle" around the ring.. are these the same "HW" that Jeffries manhandles around the ring? Robinson is not only the best fighter that EVER lived.... he would beat Greb more times than not... It's really that simple.
This is great. For a minute, I was thinking you had Whitaker in that spot.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #170
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Good one H.O.I. .. Not quite that high when I consider all things.. if it was just up to my man crush... he is for sure no. 1, as I would hope he would be for most
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #171
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Kur, before YOU spout " nonsense" read up on your boxing history cause you might appear more credible...The MW you revile Harry Greb licked very good heavyweights as Bill Brennan FOUR times losing NARY a round. Four times Greb beat the 198 pound Brennan. Greb beat a truly tough Billy Miske in 1919 the same year that Greb fought an astounding FORTY FIVE fights, winning FORTY FIVE times...Greb also beat Clay "Chief" Turner several times also a heavyweight. Greb also beat HW Bartley Madden
twice...Greb also beat Jack Renault a HW...Greb also beat a very good HW Charley Weinert in MSG in 1921...Greb also beat the tough roly poly Willie Meehan in 1919...Meehan a rough spoiler gave everyone trouble but not
the 160 pound Greb you blatanly demean by distorting the record of this
brave and unique fighter...It is one thing to argue about a "fantasy ' bout
between a Greb and a Ray Robinson...Fair game...But read your history please before you demean the record of a wonderful and brave middleweight who whether you like it or not, added so much to boxing's glorious past...Cheers...
Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #172
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

So you can't answer and only try and act as if i'm using some ad hominem attack against which, which by the way, didn't exist. YOU SAID HE MANHANDLED HW... When I ask which HW.. You say I need to read a little more on greb (thanks for the advice), then proceed to list off bigger men that Greb beat WITHOUT naming the ones with Primary Source stating he MANHANDLED them AS YOU CLAIM. I got an idea, how about you make accurate statements of what you mean so I won't call you them.. only for you to turn around (to try and cover of your gradiosing of greb) accuse me of not reading history and ALL THE WHILE STILL NOT BACKING up your claim. sound about right?
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #173
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
So you can't answer and only try and act as if i'm using some ad hominem attack against which, which by the way, didn't exist. YOU SAID HE MANHANDLED HW... When I ask which HW.. You say I need to read a little more on greb (thanks for the advice), then proceed to list off bigger men that Greb beat WITHOUT naming the ones with Primary Source stating he MANHANDLED them AS YOU CLAIM. I got an idea, how about you make accurate statements of what you mean so I won't call you them.. only for you to turn around (to try and cover of your gradiosing of greb) accuse me of not reading history and ALL THE WHILE STILL NOT BACKING up your claim. sound about right?
K,you are full of baloney...Where did I ever use the term MANHANDLE to you referring to Greb beating heavyweights and "manhandling" them ? I never used that term to you and I can't recall ever posting with you prior at all. You accuse me of something that I NEVER said to you...What the
****ens do you have to put words in my mouth for ? Just for Greb to get into the ring and face, let alone BEAT heavyweights is an act of bravery for any serious boxing poster...When I gave you a list of heavyweights that the MW Harry Greb defeated you too hide your small ego ,go nto a new level saying "but where did Greb "Manhandle" them , WHATEVER that means ? When I posted that Greb defeated Big Bill Brennan FOUR TIMES,
and most likely NEVER LOST ONE round, according to all accounts, this fact
I cite goes by the wayside, cause you want the facts conform to your wishes and biasis...Sir, you are not to be taking seriously...Good day...
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #174
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually QUOTED YOU (look above) where you cited that he could do so to HW.. What I'm asking for are the fights that he manhandled HW to give you the notion that he could do so... How can you claim you don't know where you said this, when this was the quote I QUOTED in my first post to you??? So again, which fights did Greb manhandle HW that gave you the impression he could do so...
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #175
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I actually QUOTED YOU (look above) where you cited that he could do so to HW.. What I'm asking for are the fights that he manhandled HW to give you the notion that he could do so... How can you claim you don't know where you said this, when this was the quote I QUOTED in my first post to you??? So again, which fights did Greb manhandle HW that gave you the impression he could do so...
Sir, have not i just cited Bill Brennan a tough 198 pound heavyweight contender who Harry Greb defeated FOUR TIMES, and won just about EVERY ROUND though outweighed by 35 pounds...You responded to my post so you read my response but choose to ignore facts..
P.S. "there is none so blind as a person who has eyes and cannot see"...
Oh well.....
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #176
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

So him beating a HW four times means he could "MANHANDLE" HW's... Do you know what manhandle means? If you think it means beat or outbox.. then just don't use the word anymore.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #177
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Good one H.O.I. .. Not quite that high when I consider all things.. if it was just up to my man crush... he is for sure no. 1, as I would hope he would be for most
Uh, in terms of talent and skills he very well may be. I put him in the same area as Duran, SRR.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum