Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson
Jack by decision 7 36.84%
Jack by TKO or KO 4 21.05%
Ingemar by decision 1 5.26%
Ingemar by TKO or KO 7 36.84%
this is too close 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Hw
15
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Vic, this is a tricky one..it's like, which version of either fighter will show up? I see a skittish, "on", prepared Sharkey just being too smart and fast for Ingo, and there would most likely be a unanimous decision for the Boston Gob..if he was on again...and he possibly could have stopped Ingo as well, being "on"..as mercurical and hot/cold as Sharkey could be.
I also am open to the possibility of Ingo being at his best and catching Sharkey with his "Bingo" if Jack wasn't "on".
I'm going with what I voted for in the poll, and that's a decision for Sharkey.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 21,311
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

I would put my m oney on Sharkey, then I would worry a lot in the run up to the fight.
janitor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,284
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I would put my m oney on Sharkey, then I would worry a lot in the run up to the fight.
I pick Jack but he doesn't get any of my dough on him.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:13 PM   #5
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Sharkey , easy ...
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Easy ?
Sharkey lost to many fighters worse than Ingemar, plus IJ has a good resume at HW... beat a guy like Eddie Machen in the first round, a win against a guy of the level of Patterson.....

I donīt think that would be easy for anyone......Johansson gets underrated sometimes IMO....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The Sea of Tranquility
Posts: 13,246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Easy ?
Sharkey lost to many fighters worse than Ingemar, plus IJ has a good resume at HW... beat a guy like Eddie Machen in the first round, a win against a guy of the level of Patterson.....

I donīt think that would be easy for anyone......Johansson gets underrated sometimes IMO....
yes, Ingo does get underrated...but i think most that do this mistake the post 1960 Ingo for the svelte bomber that slaughtered Machen and Patterson in their 1st bout. Ingo was never the same again after 1959.
red cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 12,387
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Ingo.
Seamus is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 312
vCash: 75
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Johanson of the first Patterson fight would KO Sharkey.

After winning championship Ingo seemed to lose interest and went in to the ring just to get a pay cheque.
Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Hm, this is a tricky one indeed. Sharkey at his very best was a very, very good and complete fighter. Better than Ingo. But Ingo was very good himself, not just his right but he could box, punch, wasnīt too stupid in there. What took him to the next level was not so much his right hand but the way he was able to hide it away and then set it up. Sharkey could be stopped and hurt. And Ingo at his best was very good at that. Sharkey should be the fav but Iīd go with Ingo in a little upset.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,284
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Rojo View Post
Johanson of the first Patterson fight would KO Sharkey.

After winning championship Ingo seemed to lose interest and went in to the ring just to get a pay cheque.

Ingo's resume is pretty thin, imo.
I've always felt that in a rematch, Machen might have beaten Ingo, that leaves him with one win out of three over Floyd .



I don't know that I would pick him over the 29 years old George Godfrey that Sharkey beat, and I think Schmeling would ko him .
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Ingo's resume is pretty thin, imo.
I've always felt that in a rematch, Machen might have beaten Ingo, that leaves him with one win out of three over Floyd .



I don't know that I would pick him over the 29 years old George Godfrey that Sharkey beat, and I think Schmeling would ko him .
How does your feeling negate his win over Machen?
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,664
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
How does your feeling negate his win over Machen?
How? He caught him early with a lucky shot ... if he fought Machen another nine time Machen wins the other nine ... Ingo was a poorly conditioned, severly limited , weak chinned fighter ... a prime Sharkey dices him to pieces and stops him under ten ..
he grant is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,284
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
How does your feeling negate his win over Machen?
It doesn't ,I just think 1 rd blow outs often flatter the winner. Joey Maxim was kod in 1 rd by Hatchet Man Sheppard, 21 days later Joey boxed his ears off to take 9 of the 10 rds. Machen beat guys I would pick to beat Ingo , and also went lots of rounds with more formidable bangers than one handed Ingo.
Machen desperatedly tried to get a rematch with Ingo , but never could.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Jack Sharkey vs Ingemar Johansson

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
How? He caught him early with a lucky shot ... if he fought Machen another nine time Machen wins the other nine ... Ingo was a poorly conditioned, severly limited , weak chinned fighter ... a prime Sharkey dices him to pieces and stops him under ten ..
Yeah, and because he was so sh*t he flattened the number one contender and the hw champ to win the title. Seriously, dude, stop beeing so disrespectful to people who managed to achieve more than you ever will. Thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
It doesn't ,I just think 1 rd blow outs often flatter the winner. Joey Maxim was kod in 1 rd by Hatchet Man Sheppard, 21 days later Joey boxed his ears off to take 9 of the 10 rds. Machen beat guys I would pick to beat Ingo , and also went lots of rounds with more formidable bangers than one handed Ingo.
Machen desperatedly tried to get a rematch with Ingo , but never could.
Fair enough. We have their one encounter as a result though and IMO that weighs more than what may possible happen in a rematch. Overall, Machen has the better resume. Nevertheless, Ingo managed to beat him and win the title. Give him his due.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013