Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
SeasideSlugger
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Punch Resistance

Been thinking about Hatton and PBF and if there'll be any hangover from getting KO'd. I wouldn't have thought so as it wasn't a massive beat down, more of a quick and clean job.

I remember Hoko going in with Goyo Vargas a few years ago now.....that was a rough one for the lad, he never really recovered from that and went on to be blown away by Steve Robinson with seemingly every punch shaking him to the foundations.

No offence to Robinson who scaled the heights for a brief period after an ordinary career, but Hoko before the Vargas fight would have hammered Robinson in my opinion.

Don't know if any boxers on here can shed any light when the old chin goes a bit, is it just after a complete mullering??

(Brodie after Chi was maybe another one)
SeasideSlugger is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Default Re: Punch Resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasideSlugger
Been thinking about Hatton and PBF and if there'll be any hangover from getting KO'd. I wouldn't have thought so as it wasn't a massive beat down, more of a quick and clean job.

I remember Hoko going in with Goyo Vargas a few years ago now.....that was a rough one for the lad, he never really recovered from that and went on to be blown away by Steve Robinson with seemingly every punch shaking him to the foundations.

No offence to Robinson who scaled the heights for a brief period after an ordinary career, but Hoko before the Vargas fight would have hammered Robinson in my opinion.

Don't know if any boxers on here can shed any light when the old chin goes a bit, is it just after a complete mullering??

(Brodie after Chi was maybe another one)
History seems to illustrate that punch resistance definately depreciates over the years but I'd have to say that the increase in KO defeats for some fighters is much more down to there inability to train like they did when they were younger. Ali's punch resistance seemed to increase as he got older as did big Georges.

With respect I think Brodies a poor example. For all his marvellous skills he was always a little susceptable to the odd wobble and chi came across as very heavy handed.

I'd say punch resistance might have something to do with the body familiarising itself with going into an unconsious state... Its actually a natural defence mechanism apparently.

I saw the Hoko-Robinson fight recently btw- what a belter!
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
SeasideSlugger
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Chi could certainly clatter, mind you it was the harrison fight I was thinking about after that.

Saying that Brodie was 30odd and had had nearly 40 fights, maybe it was just the end of the road. Not having a go at Harrison here but i've always thought he was a bit over rated. Strong, tough sod like!
SeasideSlugger is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Harrison pre Medina was not overrated at all he was gr8 to watch and had gr8 variety but he just became over reliant on strength and his boxing skills became much less of a factor. Brodie in his prime beats Harrison everytime. I think Mike was held back a little too long and then robbed against Jorrin. He's serious about a return though so hopefully he will achieve what he feels he needs to.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #5
Tony Harrison
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I wouldn't call Hatton's loss a quick clean job. He took a tremendous beating from Floyd. Especially in Round 8 when Hatton was on the ropes, Floyd let rip with punches from all angles and landed with practically all of them. After having a breather in Rd 9 he resumed the assault in Rd 10 and Hatton frankly looked lost, like he literally didn't know where he was.

People always said Hatton would not have a prolongued career due to his style i.e taking 3 or 4 shots to land 1 so the pounding he took from PBF may well have diminished his powers somewhat.
Tony Harrison is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
w4s1m
Journeyman

i dont think Hatton wil be the same boxer again after this i do hope we see him back to his best but after a beating like that he wont be the same again
w4s1m is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Punch resistance is based on alot. Confidence, heart, courage etc KO defeats can shake you. Some just brush it off i.e. Hearns and Lewis.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #8
dwilson

vCash:

Hatton took a systematic beating late in the fight. It does not bode well for him only fighting every four or five month.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum