Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Edinburgh / East of Scotland Boxing

Something ive been meaning to do for a while ,but iwhile Glasgow has tradtionally been seen as the natural boxing capital in Alba, i think Edinburgh is getting a strong vibrant scene

Over the last 12 months we have seen AAA promotions put on two shows which have sold well ,and we have a good rosters of local fighters with Appleby/Simmonds/Arthur/McEwan/Anderson/and John Thain (who i think will go quite far)

also amatuer wise ,edinburgh has quite a few clubs and probelry a stronger amatuer scene than the pro scene in edinburgh .The Edinburgh v Londond/Universaties shows have been well recived and there are a few more planned aswell ....

While im not saying it will overtake Glasgow up here (not unless we can get an arena which has at least 6000 seats) ,i think its fair to say were overlooked a bit .....Just my thougths and worth sharing

also Aberdeen has quite good attended fights with McCallister and his briothert doing reguler shows
alba is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Edinburgh / East of Scotland Boxing

Glasgow if defo the capital of Scottish boxing but we have most of the talent here in Edinburgh at the moment. It's a shame we don't have a bigger arena for Ricky to headline and have Simmons/Thain etc support. How much does Meadowbank actually hold? I think between Simmons/Thain/Appelby there could still be a fair amount of tickets shifted
Broony is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broony View Post
Glasgow if defo the capital of Scottish boxing but we have most of the talent here in Edinburgh at the moment. It's a shame we don't have a bigger arena for Ricky to headline and have Simmons/Thain etc support. How much does Meadowbank actually hold? I think between Simmons/Thain/Appelby there could still be a fair amount of tickets shifted
Meadowbank holds 2,500 approx and with some of Edinburgh's best fighters on a month or so back only 1,000 people turned up,hence the reason FW comes to Glasgow Ricky sold out Braehead 6,500 and we could have done plenty more,Edinburgh doesnt seem to sell shows im afraid no offence but true.
billy nelson is online now  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Broony
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Meadowbank holds 2,500 approx and with some of Edinburgh's best fighters on a month or so back only 1,000 people turned up,hence the reason FW comes to Glasgow Ricky sold out Braehead 6,500 and we could have done plenty more,Edinburgh doesnt seem to sell shows im afraid no offence but true.
Yeah that's very poor but you're right about the poor turnout at Edinburgh shows. Though I reckon you could get 1000+ for a Simbo/Appelby/Thain card so I think it could make financial sense to do one. Simbo would sell 300/400 on his own minimum I reckon, heard Appelby had a good core support and Thain is very popular in Edinburgh so could do decent numbers imo
Broony is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broony View Post
Yeah that's very poor but you're right about the poor turnout at Edinburgh shows. Though I reckon you could get 1000+ for a Simbo/Appelby/Thain card so I think it could make financial sense to do one. Simbo would sell 300/400 on his own minimum I reckon, heard Appelby had a good core support and Thain is very popular in Edinburgh so could do decent numbers imo
If Alex Morrison and i put a show on in Edinburgh Simmons would do 400 Apps 200 maybe and id need to put boys i manage who are good ticket sellers to make it work,i know John Thain isnt a ticket seller only doing 30-40 for Rickys last show?
With the fullest of respect AAA wasnt a ticket seller when he was British and euro champ, FW would put Gary Young on his shows coz he sold plenty Gary was without doubt the best ticket seller in Edinburgh
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
If Alex Morrison and i put a show on in Edinburgh Simmons would do 400 Apps 200 maybe and id need to put boys i manage who are good ticket sellers to make it work,i know John Thain isnt a ticket seller only doing 30-40 for Rickys last show?
With the fullest of respect AAA wasnt a ticket seller when he was British and euro champ, FW would put Gary Young on his shows coz he sold plenty Gary was without doubt the best ticket seller in Edinburgh
i remeber Young /McMillan and it was put on in Glasgow , which i personally thought was an oppertunity missed as it could have been put on in Edinburgh and as you say Young is a good ticket seller ...

your point about the last AAA show in attendance figures ,but at least Alex is giving it a stab .

As for Frank putting shows on in Glasgow, yes the Moses/burns card was ,but before that Billy, Burns last two fights were down south because of the low turnout for Burns/Laryea fight .which was ashame but boxing is a buisness i spose...
alba is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
i remeber Young /McMillan and it was put on in Glasgow , which i personally thought was an oppertunity missed as it could have been put on in Edinburgh and as you say Young is a good ticket seller ...

your point about the last AAA show in attendance figures ,but at least Alex is giving it a stab .

As for Frank putting shows on in Glasgow, yes the Moses/burns card was ,but before that Billy, Burns last two fights were down south because of the low turnout for Burns/Laryea fight .which was ashame but boxing is a buisness i spose...
Im not having a pop at AAA just that the talent that was on show never got the crowd it deserved.
To be fair moses was world class the other two weren't and the public know
Old 06-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Im not having a pop at AAA just that the talent that was on show never got the crowd it deserved.
To be fair moses was world class the other two weren't and the public know
camt argue with that
alba is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
MIK1000
Contender
ESB Senior Member

If Josh Taylor returns from the Olympics and goes pro he could be the boost that Edinburgh needs to sell tickets, especially if he gets a medal.

There's another Amateur middleweight called Tommy Philbin from Edinburgh who has an electric style for the pro's and would have won the Scottish Championships this year had it not been for pulling out of the semi's due to an operation. If he turns pro soon enough he will sell a lot of tickets IMO.

John Thain also has one of the most likeable personalities in boxing, if he keeps winning and continues to be impressive, he could become a big ticket seller, he's got an entertaining style too.
MIK1000 is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK1000 View Post
If Josh Taylor returns from the Olympics and goes pro he could be the boost that Edinburgh needs to sell tickets, especially if he gets a medal.

There's another Amateur middleweight called Tommy Philbin from Edinburgh who has an electric style for the pro's and would have won the Scottish Championships this year had it not been for pulling out of the semi's due to an operation. If he turns pro soon enough he will sell a lot of tickets IMO.

John Thain also has one of the most likeable personalities in boxing, if he keeps winning and continues to be impressive, he could become a big ticket seller, he's got an entertaining style too.
Ive been in boxing a long time a boxers will swear blind they'll do this amount and that amount of tickets in reality the high percentage simply dont do enough and dont think they need to do it in some cases!
Old 06-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

I'd like to wish Josh and his coach Terry all the best for the Olympics
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31 AM   #12
alba
Guess who?