Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #31
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2137
Default Re: What makes Marciano so special against sub 190lbers throughout history?

Beyond the physical, it's that single-minded approach that he had both to training and to fighting.
He'd be in your face all night long, throwing hard leather. He didn't ever entertain losing. In a fifteen round fight, that a bloody daunting prospect.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #32
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What makes Marciano so special against sub 190lbers throughout history?

Manassa is wrong, there are plenty of better 190lb physical packages. But Marciano has a PHD in knowing how to fight, that few ever achieve.

Still there would be some 190lber who'd likely have his number, whether it's a defensive stylist, speedster, puncher....who knows?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #33
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Still there would be some 190lber who'd likely have his number, whether it's a defensive stylist, speedster, puncher....who knows?
Yeah, I agree. Nobody is unbeatable.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #34
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetethePrince View Post
I do not think you guys aren't disagreeing.
I'm going to need three days to wrap my head around that sentence.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #35
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Extreme training and he made all his punches knock out punches.
He wasn't scared to get hurt, he had the chin and the knockout power to make up for the lack of accuracy and other finesses.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #36
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Manassa is wrong, there are plenty of better 190lb physical packages. But Marciano has a PHD in knowing how to fight, that few ever achieve.

So I'm wrong in saying Marciano was a physical marvel, while you praise his ability to fight on a skills basis?

I think most people would agree it was the other way round mate. His skill was fair but definitely inferior to his actual conditioning.

By the way, I never said Marciano was the best physical package at 190 (if I did, show me where)... Although I could reasonably predict so.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #37
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
I'm going to need three days to wrap my head around that sentence.

A **** up, although Freud says there are no accidents.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by fists of fury View Post
Yeah, I agree. Nobody is unbeatable.
There is a difference between having someone's number and losing. I tend to think Marciano would lose, but I'd favor him probably over almost anyone sub 190lb in a 15 round contest. Someone having his number the way Marquez has Pac. I'm not sure. Maybe someone like Tunney, but very very few if any.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #39
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

It can be argued that 'Tiger' Ted Lowry to a point, had Marciano's number.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #40
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Basically what has been mentioned sums it up.

Very powerfully built, with thick and powerfully built limbs. Great for delivering powerful punches and absorbing punches.

Inhuman willpower and dedication that allowed him to acheive the level of fitness he had. He was willing to cut out all manner of distractions to focus on training including women, nightlife, drinking, his own friends and family, even his wife. He had this dedication even when he was younger he would spend hours on end on the baseball pitch back when he was in highschool. Today he'd probably be diagnosed with OCD with the extreme manner of his training.

He was just one of the toughest boxers ever who was actually very skilled in alot of areas. He's one of the rare boxers who turned up 100% to every fight you could always count on him to give it his absolute all.

The fact that he holds a stamina advantage over every sub 190lbs heavy, one of the hardest punchers at the weight ever, one of the most durable at the weight ever, good skillset, the highest output and pressure at the weight ever and his incredible willpower and heart makes him special amongst the other sub 190lbs. I don't favour any sub 190lbs over him even Louis and Holyfield. But thats just me.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #41
dmar5143

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Basically what has been mentioned sums it up.

Very powerfully built, with thick and powerfully built limbs. Great for delivering powerful punches and absorbing punches.

Inhuman willpower and dedication that allowed him to acheive the level of fitness he had. He was willing to cut out all manner of distractions to focus on training including women, nightlife, drinking, his own friends and family, even his wife. He had this dedication even when he was younger he would spend hours on end on the baseball pitch back when he was in highschool. Today he'd probably be diagnosed with OCD with the extreme manner of his training.

He was just one of the toughest boxers ever who was actually very skilled in alot of areas. He's one of the rare boxers who turned up 100% to every fight you could always count on him to give it his absolute all.

The fact that he holds a stamina advantage over every sub 190lbs heavy, one of the hardest punchers at the weight ever, one of the most durable at the weight ever, good skillset, the highest output and pressure at the weight ever and his incredible willpower and heart makes him special amongst the other sub 190lbs. I don't favour any sub 190lbs over him even Louis and Holyfield. But thats just me.
well put and i agree.at 185 he hit as hard as anybody ever at any weight.a great fighter that deserves the term ATG.
dmar5143 is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #42
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
What makes him so effective fighting against men his own weight/smaller?
Because he hit harder, had better stamina, better durability, and had a forward moving type of style that forced the other guy his size or smaller to either 1 ) fight back, or 2 ) waste energy in retreat.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #43
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Suzie, I have stated here before that I take Marciano to beat all sub 195 pounders in history with Holyfield being his sternest challenge.

However, the physiogamy lesson that Manassa gives is such utter tripe it makes me want to change my stance entirely.
Rocky and Braxton is 50/50 for me.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #44
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

It's interesting how two posters have said I was 'wrong' and talking 'utter tripe' but will neither make sense nor defend their position.

I don't like this.
Manassa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum