Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #31
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k.
overall though prime for prime i'd still have to go with the rock,because simply floyd would not have been able to keep him down
It would be good fight, but as you already said, any KD would be nothing more than a flash. I think this fight would last for quite a long time, ~ 14 rounds, Rocky would have his number at the end through the cards and KO.
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #32
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

I dont think it will last that long, at the time Patterson was more of a brawler. Sure a knockdown for Floyd could happen. It's boxing anything can happen. But Patterson would also be in Rocky's slugging range. Marciano would not need to find the 1950's Patterson.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #33
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calroid
Who cares????

Marciano would have absolutely destroyed Patterson if they had met before Marciano had retired.
I seriously doubt that Marciano would have destroyed Floyd Patterson. If they fought in 55 or 56, I'd say it would have been a tough yet entertaining fight for both fighters. The closest comparison for this fight would be Marciano's hard fought victory against Ezzard Charles.
Patterson was a skillful boxer with very fast hands and he wouldn't have been no pushover for Marciano. In fact, I would have put money on Patterson to decision Marciano over fifteen rounds.
round15 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #34
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 632
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

I don't think it's likely Floyd would have dropped Rocky. Walcott and Moore caught him coming in, not so much Patterson's style. Floyd would not be ducking under Marciano's attack (as he briefly was able to with Liston), nor would he be able to stand his ground to set himself for a heavy strike.

Beyond that, the incredible experience of Walcott and Moore played a key role in their ability to drop Rocky. As skilled as Patterson was, he never attained that same degree of seasoning. Walcott and Moore had both been boxing professionally for more years than Floyd had been alive when they floored Rock. Patterson couldn't do it to Chuvalo, even in utilizing the best mobility he ever displayed. While it wouldn't have been impossible for Floyd to score a flash KD, I just don't see it happening,

Last edited by BeGGeRs; 02-27-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:00 AM   #35
Calroid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 341
vCash: 1956
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15
I seriously doubt that Marciano would have destroyed Floyd Patterson. If they fought in 55 or 56, I'd say it would have been a tough yet entertaining fight for both fighters. The closest comparison for this fight would be Marciano's hard fought victory against Ezzard Charles.
Patterson was a skillful boxer with very fast hands and he wouldn't have been no pushover for Marciano. In fact, I would have put money on Patterson to decision Marciano over fifteen rounds.
It's your money man, you can do with it what you want.

Why not just put it directly into my bank account?????

Weak chinned 175lb Patterson (yeah that's how much Patterson weighed when Marciano retired, let's get real buddy!!!!!!) would have been destroyed by the most unappreciated heavyweight champion of all time.
Calroid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 AM   #36
Marciano Frazier
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Sure he could. Patterson could drop just about anyone.
Marciano Frazier is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #37
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy
Patterson couldn't do it to Chuvalo
And Walcott & Moore wouldn't be able to either...
jowcol is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:07 PM   #38
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Yeah, prime-for-prime Patterson could've dropped him, but Patterson was a little too green (even in the Moore fight) at that point in his career.
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #39
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 632
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol
And Walcott & Moore wouldn't be able to either...
I wonder about that, especially in Jersey Joe's case. And the referee did save Chuvalo from a seemingly imminent visit to the floor against Foreman. Mike DeJohn buckled Chuvalo with an uppercut, a punch Walcott was adept at landing while in retreat.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:09 PM   #40
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calroid
It's your money man, you can do with it what you want.

Why not just put it directly into my bank account?????

Weak chinned 175lb Patterson (yeah that's how much Patterson weighed when Marciano retired, let's get real buddy!!!!!!) would have been destroyed by the most unappreciated heavyweight champion of all time.
I appreciate and understand your opinioin. Marciano is underappreciated and vehemently scrutinized on this forum mainly because no other heavyweight has come close to his 49 - 0. Other heavyweights with much more talent that have failed are not surprisingly ranked ahead of him which I think is somewhat unfair.

You're discrediting Patterson's boxing skills, foot speed and fast hands though. Forget the Liston fights. I know I'm in the minority that believes Patterson could have done better for himself in both of those Liston fights had he been better mentally prepared. I don't think Marciano would have knocked out Patterson but both men could have definitely knocked each other down.

I'd still take Floyd by close decision.
round15 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #41
Calroid
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 341
vCash: 1956
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15
I appreciate and understand your opinioin. Marciano is underappreciated and vehemently scrutinized on this forum mainly because no other heavyweight has come close to his 49 - 0. Other heavyweights with much more talent that have failed are not surprisingly ranked ahead of him which I think is somewhat unfair.

You're discrediting Patterson's boxing skills, foot speed and fast hands though. Forget the Liston fights. I know I'm in the minority that believes Patterson could have done better for himself in both of those Liston fights had he been better mentally prepared. I don't think Marciano would have knocked out Patterson but both men could have definitely knocked each other down.

I'd still take Floyd by close decision.
Prime for prime, you may be right.

I was looking at it in terms of when they could have realistically met, which would have been after Marciano's KO or Moore. At that time I don't think that Patterson wouldn't have been able to handle Marciano.

Yes I agree with your point about the Liston fights. I think the aura of Liston at the time had a lot to do with Patterson's performances. Kinda like the aura of Tyson when he fought Spinks.

Like Patterson, I think that Spinks would have put up a much better fight if Tyson hadn't put the fear of god into him (Or so it appeared). Fighters who think they are going to lose normally do.
Calroid is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #42
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

It's not just the Liston fights, what about the Ingo fights?? Are you saying because Ingo could stop Patterson in 3 rounds, that a harder hitter like the Rock could not repeat the process?
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 AM   #43
jowcol
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
It's not just the Liston fights, what about the Ingo fights?? Are you saying because Ingo could stop Patterson in 3 rounds, that a harder hitter like the Rock could not repeat the process?
And that's it for Floyd ever being really hurt!
Liston was an all-time wrecking ball and I'm sure many out there would question whether the Rock had as much wallop as Ingo's bingo. Taking nothing away from Marciano, many of his opponents took his shots and kept coming; you're acting like "Rock hits you---you're gone".

To paraphrase a part of your post: "Are you saying that because Ingo could knock out Machen in less than one round, that a 'harder?' hitter like the Rock could not repeat the process?
jowcol is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:10 AM   #44
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Floyd Patterson drop Marciano...?

I think the Rock could wack Machen out there if he lands his shots.
Before the Rock's change in style(Pre Walcott,) Most of the Rock's foes DID NOT keep coming. Most of em were out in 5 or 6 rounds. And when Marciano change his style to a wear em down tactic, sure it may have taking 8 or 9 rounds to get them down for the count. But still they were out.

Patterson was drop in nearly evey title defense he had in the 50's. I bellive Rocky would have put Patterson down for the count or at least stop him before the 7th round.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013